Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Radios

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 03:10 AM
kylenlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Radios

Why did airtronics switch their connectors to Z-connectors, which are identical to Hitec plugs. I have 6 standard plug airtronics radios, including a very old Vision, and a newer Radiant. I have been flying these radios for 5 years, and have had flawless performance from all of them.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:33 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because in the new world of the "powerful" consumer they were going to lose out with their proprietary plugs. Nobody wants to be restricted to a monopoly and pay the price that they can demand. Even today their crystals are wway more than some other brands. Brand loyalty is on it's way out to some degree and price dictates sales!
Old 03-21-2002, 06:47 AM
pilotkelowna
My Feedback: (1)

I have used Airtronics equipment for over 20 years, and their performance has been excellent, and continually reliable. Seems a few years ago they decided to limit new product development and their newer models seem to be lagging behind what the the competition offers.
Why they went to the Z connector is beyond me and most other Airtronics users I know - the aftermarket servo makers did and will contimue to make Airtroncs servos with the old connector if there is a demand. Good thing, I have 4 Vanguards and 2 Infinity's, and over 30 servos which function as new.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Hots_Flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Your can get adapters to use the old connector with the "Z" connector receivers.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:42 AM
kylenlord

I know, but I just solder on connectors for old airtronics, that way I don't have to worry about the connectors coming loose. I was able to buy 5 connectors for $8. I just have to remember to reverse the polarity.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:07 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Hots_Flyer
Your can get adapters to use the old connector with the "Z" connector receivers.
Yeah, ain't that great. Now us old time Airtronics users who've been loyal to the brand for years get the privledge of paying $3 more for servo's than anyone else cause we have to buy the adaptor too!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:43 AM
fiery

I guess Airtronics had to change - adapt or die. The market is intolerant of "odd" connectors, and a good thing it is too. It's not just Airtronics changing from their "proprietory" connector / reversed polarity. Look at how ...

1. Mpx now offers it's gear in "international" spec with JR/Hitec/AirZ type connectors. This opens their potential market up considerably.

2. The tab on Fut.J male connectors has "shrunk" in recent years, and is now very easy to shave off!

But when will Airtronics come up with a replacement for it's ageing and overpriced Stylus? Nice peice of equipment, but now a little "older generation" compared to the latest offerings from JR and Futaba. No shift select, and it won't drive the 512 PCM receivers as sold with the Infinity 600 series radios and PCM Vanguards, or the older PCM 1024 receivers sold with the Visions and Infinity 1000's !

As a loyal Airtronics user I hope they redress this situation soon.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:43 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I'm pretty happy with the change. It let's me easily use other brands of servos with my Airtronics gear, and vice versa. Flexibility is never a bad thing!
Old 03-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I had always liked Airtronics for their maverick innovativeness, which stood out among the me-too Futaba and JR masses. The top F3B pilots were all Airtronics. The difficult-to-make-compatible plug has always been a sore point, but no more than the many irritating incompatibilities in RC electronics that serve no purpose but to restrict cross-brand shopping. The Z-connector is a wise business decision and a desperately needed one on their part.

This is particularly true since Airtronics has lost that innovativeness lately. The flagship Vision is 10 yrs old and antiquated by today's standards. The only radio that is worth a look is the RD6000 Super, and even that is laden with cheap switch gear and a couple of channels short of the competition. As an ex-long-time Air supporter, I'm afraid they've not only lost their traditional No.3 position to Hitec, they are fast becoming the non-event manufacturer. I hope for their sake they introduce some exciting new TXs soon.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:26 PM
ChuckN

Airtronics is one of the most popular brands in R/C car racing. That hobby may have had something to do with the change as well. Interestingly enough, it was the RD6000 and the new Z-connectors that convinced me to switch from Futaba to Airtronics. I could still use all my old Futaba Receivers and servos.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:23 AM
drewjet

As a further note, I have found out that Hitec has stopped production of recievers set up for the old stylye airtronics, so buy them up if you need em
Old 04-02-2002, 11:28 AM
fiery

Default airtronics radios

Airtronics radios ... carved out of living ivory by the hand of the almighty, truly manna from heaven for all R/C believers ...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
pflynn

Default RE: Airtronics Radios

I am a beginner and have recently "inherited" an Airtronics Vanguard FM radio and several servos and a 92765/72 receiver. How can I get manuals for this radio and does anyone have current experience with it?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Airtronics Radios

ORIGINAL: Volfy

I had always liked Airtronics for their maverick innovativeness, which stood out among the me-too Futaba and JR masses. The top F3B pilots were all Airtronics. The difficult-to-make-compatible plug has always been a sore point, but no more than the many irritating incompatibilities in RC electronics that serve no purpose but to restrict cross-brand shopping. The Z-connector is a wise business decision and a desperately needed one on their part.

This is particularly true since Airtronics has lost that innovativeness lately. The flagship Vision is 10 yrs old and antiquated by today's standards. The only radio that is worth a look is the RD6000 Super, and even that is laden with cheap switch gear and a couple of channels short of the competition. As an ex-long-time Air supporter, I'm afraid they've not only lost their traditional No.3 position to Hitec, they are fast becoming the non-event manufacturer. I hope for their sake they introduce some exciting new TXs soon.
Agreed, if you look at their current ads in the magazines it says to "write in for your 2005 catalog"...seems they realize at least for aircraft radios their days are numbered.