Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Cheap Servos

Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
matt1977

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Servos

Hello,

We all know Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, JR, Specktrum ect are all good quality servos. Although the quality is good, I am trying to explore the possibility of cheaper brand servos on future planes.

I've been doing some research, and to my surprise there seems to be tons of different brands out there. Some of the brands I come across were:

ARCED
BATAN
Blue Arrow
Blue Bird
BMS
Cirus
Corona
Dynam
Esky
Hextronic
Hyperion Atlas
Kopro
Scanner
Vigor

I was hoping to get some feed back on some of these to see which would be worth trying.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

Old 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
onewasp

Default RE: Cheap Servos

XJet is who you should contact. He has more than a little experience and knowledge both about various servos and the hands on testing of the same.

I have been at this RC game for many, many years. I want nothing what-so-ever to do with 'cheap servos'.
Not in MY airplane.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: onewasp

XJet is who you should contact. He has more than a little experience and knowledge both about various servos and the hands on testing of the same.
Yep, just resizing and cropping scores of pictures to go with the review.

Not enough hours in the day (damn!)

_______
When I'm not here I'm at [link=http://rcmodelreviews.com]RCModelReviews[/link]
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

You can add GWS servos to your list of top tier manufacturers. I've been very pleased with the quality and performance of all of my GWS electronics whether it be servos, speed controllers, or receivers.

I've used the Hextronic micro servos with good success. I've also used the HXT-5010 standard ball bearing servos without problems so far.

I'd heard good things about the Vigor VS-2 standard servos and I bought a number of those to try as well. I recently had two different Vigor VS-2 servos burn out motors in a glow trainer, and one servo that failed was for throttle control where it should have had a light workload. They weren't binding up and the plane wasn't crashed, I just had the Vigor VS-2 on the rudder quit working and then a couple of weeks later the VS-2 on the throttle failed.

With Hitec HS-311 standard servos readily available for $8.99 before discounts, I don't feel it's worth trying to save a couple of bucks for standard servos anymore. I still like the HXT micro servos for indoor electrics, but I suppose I'll change my mind if those start failing on me, too.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa
I'd heard good things about the Vigor VS-2 standard servos and I bought a number of those to try as well. I recently had two different Vigor VS-2 servos burn out motors in a glow trainer, and one servo that failed was for throttle control where it should have had a light workload. They weren't binding up and the plane wasn't crashed, I just had the Vigor VS-2 on the rudder quit working and then a couple of weeks later the VS-2 on the throttle failed.
The VS2 servos are quite good but they have one design defect. They mount a large electrolytic capacitor solely by its leads and so when the servo is subjected to vibration, those leads fatigue and break. So long as you use a little glue to secure the capacitor to the PCB they work just fine (and seem otherwise quite reliable).

I'll be posting an advisory and "how to" fix these servos sometime in the next 24 hours. At $4.95 they are incredible value for a standard size servo - providing you take preemptive steps to eliminate this sole problem.

________
When I'm not here I'm at [link=http://rcmodelreviews.com]RCModelReviews[/link]

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

How about the top manufactures like Futaba and Hitec. Would you go with Futaba Digital or Hitec Standard Digital HS5475HB with carbonite gears verses the Futaba nylon gears. I was looking at the Hitec standard digital verses the Futaba S3152, The Futaba is a little faster and higher torqu. will the Hitec last longer.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Basil Yousif

How about the top manufactures like Futaba and Hitec. Would you go with Futaba Digital or Hitec Standard Digital HS5475HB with carbonite gears verses the Futaba nylon gears. I was looking at the Hitec standard digital verses the Futaba S3152, The Futaba is a little faster and higher torqu. will the Hitec last longer.
Karbonite is good, so long as you're not expecting too many sudden shocks it's like toughened glass: really, really hard and strong but a short sharp knock will shatter it much more easily than nylon.

As far as the two servos you mention I'd go for the Hitec. It has far less slop in the gears and output shaft plus, if you're running on 6V, the Hitec is more than fast enough for most people (but they *are* slow on 4.8V).
Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a handful of Cirrus servos. They are working very well. I have (5) of the CS-601's in a YS .63 powered Giles. they are work very well. For $10.00 servos I am surprised at how well they work. I am going to get (4) of the Cirrus CS703MG servos for my 30 sized helicopter. Torque: 75oz/in (5.5kg/cm)@ 4.8v, 102oz/in (7.5kg/cm) @ 6v Give them a try and see how they work.

I have (8) 7.3 gram $4.00 servos and (8) 4.3 gram $4.00 servos. They work well so far. I have 20 plus flights and 2 good crashes on them and they have not stripped or stopped working.

I have always used Airtronics and Futaba servos. I have started looking at teh less costly servos for my light weight slow flying foamies. hard to spend $30.00 plus on a servo for a plane that cost $5.00 in foam.

Dru.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Basil Yousif

Do you know of a good Heli Rudder Servo. Futaba makes the only one I know of but there has to be a better/cheaper alternative. The Futaba S9257 EP Heli Digital Rudder Servo is very low torqu but high speed.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 AM
blvdbuzzard

I am using a high speed digital from hobby city. Cost me $18.00. Works great with a GY401 gyro in digital mode. It has a yellow/gold colored aluminum case.

Dru.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
bigedmustafa

I just got my fix of cheap servos for the week. Hobby People has Airtronics 94102Z servos on sale for $6.99 each with free shipping on orders over $25, so I ordered a dozen. Those Vigor VS-2 servos cost $4.95 plus shipping and handling, but they don't come with mounting hardware. I spent another $1.40 per servo getting Dubro servo screws and brass eyelets and Futaba rubber grommets.

If you compare apples to apples, the 94102Z servos are cheaper than the Vigor VS-2s while they're on sale.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Basil Yousif

I like the Hobby City stuff I have ordered alot of stuff from them all good quality. The servo extentions and battery monitors are great and low in cost but high in quality. If the servo's are simular these are probably the way to go. Any model number on the gold servo.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
blvdbuzzard

This is the [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6583]digital servo[/link] I am using with my GY401.

Dru.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Basil Yousif

That servo has great specs but it is a small servo for small EP planes and helis. I couldn't find anything around .09 sec speed in a standard size servo. I think the standard servo is around 40mm x20mm. Hobby City has a great Digital standard size servo though for 7.99 the HXT12K but it is a .16 sec but not for Rudder. If they can make a larger version of this HD-2216HB servo that would be excellent. I think the Metal gear version is HD-2216MG. I was looking at a couple of .12 speed servos the HG650 for $28 and the HD5680BB for $22 but I don't know if .12 sec in 60 deg is okey for a Heli Rudder if you want 3D performance. I might have a go at the .12 sec servo for HD5680BB $22 if someone else has used it with good results. By the way which one of the Hobby city servo's are the best quality out of HD,Hextronix,HG and MKS.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

Not digital but looks all right. Look [link=http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/440702.asp]Here[/link]

Was going to try this with my GY240 on my Raptor.

Dru.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
XJet
Banned

Those Vigor VS-2 servos cost $4.95 plus shipping and handling, but they don't come with mounting hardware. I spent another $1.40 per servo getting Dubro servo screws and brass eyelets and Futaba rubber grommets.
If you've got some of those Vigors then you should [link=http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/vigorvs2warning.shtml]read this[/link] and fix your servos accordingly.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 PM
victorzamora

I can tell you that the Hyperion Atlas servos may be cheap in price, but not in quality. Those are some impressive servos!! I have 3 DS-20 FMD's (on ailerons and rudder) on my plane...and I'm extremely happy with them.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: XJet

Those Vigor VS-2 servos cost $4.95 plus shipping and handling, but they don't come with mounting hardware. I spent another $1.40 per servo getting Dubro servo screws and brass eyelets and Futaba rubber grommets.
If you've got some of those Vigors then you should [link=http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/vigorvs2warning.shtml]read this[/link] and fix your servos accordingly.
Thanks for the information, XJet. I'll take a look at repairing mine. The Vigor VS-2 is a strong, quiet, smooth servo and I'd happily still be flying them if they hadn't started failing on me.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Basil Yousif

The Cirrus servo looks like a good one for my Raptor 30. Now a higher torqu digital .09 sec servo for my Raptor .60.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Oberfeldwebel

To you guys who have or are using Cirrus servos, do you recall where you got them ? I am in need for servo arms and cases for CS30BB.
I have searched but can't find anywhere to get these parts. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Try looking at hobby people or global. They may have some of them.

Dru.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Oberfeldwebel

Thanks, I did but they said they've discontinued them a while ago and have no parts for them now

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
lakefish4
My Feedback: (68)

hello xjet,

Hope Im not intruding too much but have a general question. In general do you know if the micro servos stand up well under the lower rpm vibration of four strokes or shouild one stay away from applying them on fuel/gas models for a soft job like throttle, lights, inflight gas engine cutout etc to keep weight down?

thanks for any guidance. al
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
XJet
Banned

Small servos usually don't like vibration too much.

I tried a HXT900 on throttle with a SuperTigre 90 and it died in within a few minutes.

I tried a Hitec HS81 on the throttle of a Saito 100 and it died within a couple of hours.

I have been using a metal-geared mini-servo on the throttle of my Saito 100 and it's been okay for about 10 hours but is now getting decidedly jittery.

If the servo is just operating a switch then there should be no problems but if it's driving a heavy load or is connected directly to the engine (ie: throttle) then you may be better off with a standard sized servo for the sake of three quarters of an ounce or so.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
lakefish4
My Feedback: (68)

THANK YOU XJET ~ I WAS CONCERNED THIS MIGHT BE THE CASE ~ NOT WORTH A STUCK THROTTLE ON A MULTIENGINE. THANK YOU FOR A SPEEDY REPLY ~ MAY ALL YOU LANDINGS BE SMOOTH ONES! ALAN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.