Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did some dot and non dot temperature testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
snopro_440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did some dot and non dot temperature testing

Last night I decided to do some testing (as I personally have had my 617's shut down on the flight line in the mid Arizona summer heat of 113 degrees outside ambient temperature). I tested a 617 non dot, a 6116 FFM non dot and a new 6004 which had a dot. I removed all receivers from the case and used a heat gun to warm the pcb's. Using an infrared temp gun, here are my findings:

617: consistantly and repeatedly shut down between 125 - 130 degrees F.

616FFM: consistantly and repeatedly shut down between 150 - 155 degrees F.

6004: Heated it up to over 240 degrees F. WOULD NOT SHUT DOWN.

Now Futaba and any one of you could argue, well, yeah, but that was non controlled, non scientific testing, maybe your temp gun was not accurate, etc. Ok, fine, lets assume all that, but the fact is, the dotted version receiver withstood an incredibly higher temperature and did not go into shut down.

We need to stop asking Bax and Krysta what the dots mean, it is obvious, it means there has been a revision to their product and the dots correspond to a revision number on the PCB and the revision obviously is to increase the temperature rating on the receiver and also looks like lower current drain. We need to all start asking them to address several questions:

1. What is the new temperature rating on the dot version receivers?

2. What is the new current drain on the dot version receivers?

3. What does Futaba intent to do for its customers that have lost planes and had thermal shut downs of their first rev receivers?

As people start reading these temp dot issue posts and if Futaba continues to simply ignore it's customers, I truly believe that will have a negative impact for Futaba. Please, will someone from Futaba answer our questions?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did some dot and non dot temperature testing

You need to post this on the Futaba Forum as well!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default RE: Did some dot and non dot temperature testing

I would have been very happy to receive a response to my dot question, of which I posted back in Sept 08. I recognize it IS possible they (Hobbico) may not have been aware of it. If I would have known it was a higher operating temperature, thats all the info I would have needed. I'm sure all mfg'rs make revisions from time to time, hopefully to improve the product - and it looks like they did. [8D]

You are nuts if you think they are going to recall the older receivers. There are too many out there, and too many of them (minus a few) are working just fine. Since they advertise an up to 60 deg C operating temperature, they will claim there is no issue with the product, as it runs per advertised.

Thanks for posting your findings - it just confirms more solidly that an improvement has been made. [8D]