Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What's your technique for centering a servo?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
TypesetThis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your technique for centering a servo?

I built my first kit this weekend and got it up and running just fine, but my biggest problem at the moment is keeping the servo centered while putting the arm on... i've re-centered it multiple times and then put the arm back on and put it back into my car and each time i try, i have to adjust the trim almost all the way to one side to get the car to drive straight... is it just that i'm a beginner and it takes many tries to get it right, or is it that i have a cheapo servo?.. i have a futaba radio with an S3003 servo... i was wondering what your technique is for getting your servo centered and putting it into whatever type of vehicle you operate... maybe there is something i'm doing that's causing it to become uncentered in the installation process... or maybe i broke it before i even got it in the car the first time...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What's your technique for centering a servo?

Remove the arm from the servo. Connect the servo to the receiver. Turn on both transmitter and receiver. Make sure the steering wheel and the trim are both centered. The servo should now be centered. Put the arm on the servo so that it is 90-degrees to the long side servo case. If it's off a little bit, remove the arm and put it back on 180 degrees from the first attempt. The servo output shaft has an odd number of splines, so if putting the arm on one way isn't exactly-centered, then putting it on 180-degrees from the first try should bring it back to center. Re-secure the servo arm onto the servo. Your servo and arm are now centered.

You will have to then center the front wheels of the car. Make sure all of the links are of the proper length and there is no binding when you move the steering by hand. Now you can connect the servo to the steering links. Make sure that you adjust the links to keep the servo centered and the wheels centered. If you need to, just turn on the transmitter and receiver with the transmitter controls centered, and the servo will hold the center position.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most importantly is what is obvious to most (but you MAY not be doing). Do everything with the radio turned on so that the servo doesn't move while being set up. Both TX and Rx need to be "ON".
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
TypesetThis

so when i'm screwing the servo arm back on, the servo should be getting power at that point?..
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: TypesetThis

so when i'm screwing the servo arm back on, the servo should be getting power at that point?..
Yes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
JJay03

I have a question that sort of relates but how do you get the servo saver off. I see the hex screw in the middle but when I try to take it off the spring just compresses. Do you just have to turn till it compresses all the way or what. Its not reverse threads is it?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: TypesetThis

You wouldn't need it while installing the screw itself but while placing the arm on the splines it is important. Then power up again before making the next adjustment/connection.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: JJay03

I have a question that sort of relates but how do you get the servo saver off. I see the hex screw in the middle but when I try to take it off the spring just compresses. Do you just have to turn till it compresses all the way or what. Its not reverse threads is it?
I don't use those myself but there are several different ones on the market. Please provide a link to the one you use or at least tell us which it is. We'll go from there if we can. May be a car forum question.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
JJay03

Yeah sorry its a stock servo on a rustler vxl.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
bruce88123

No, which servo saver?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
JJay03

Its the stock traxxas one.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM
bruce88123

ok, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJK77&P=ML should be what you have. Not having actually touched one, the following is my best guess from its appearance. I would say to slowly loosen the screw expecting the servo to rotate internally until it reaches its stop. At that point the screw should start to loosen from the servo output shaft. Once the screw is removed the "saver" should lift off the output shaft.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
JJay03

Yes thats what I have and I was thinking the same thing just wanted to make sure with someone who had done it b4. Ill give it a go when I get home.