Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

whats going on here??? pls help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats going on here??? pls help

well, i was running my new bird on the ground, checking the rudder, etc...thanks god i did that before go up. At the end of the field i hit the grass and the engine shut off. Well from i was i saw the airplane gone crazy(servos) and i after i was more close..the problem disappear.

At almost 20 mts if i have my antenna down the problem persist. The weird thing is that i use my radio for the Trex 450 and there is no problem as you will see on the video, both heli and the edge use the same crystal (#19). I cant imagine what a disaster should happen if i go up with my airplane with this glitch.

My radio is a Futaba 8UHF 72 mhz with 19 crystal on the rec. I dont know why it occurs at some position of the radio and in the field at some distance.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=MOV09015.flv
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=MOV09019.flv
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: whats going on here??? pls help

The picture of your Tx shows that the battery voltage is marginal. I would not fly any of my aircraft with the Tx voltage at 9.5v. I prefer it to be somewhere between 9.8v-11v.

I had a Futaba 8AUPS. It was fairly new when I discovered I could not do a Range Check for more than 10ft away from the aircraft before I lost the signal. I tried another RF module with the same results. I tried another Tx with my RF module and I had normal range. I opened the back of my Tx and found that the circuit board that had the battery, antenna, and trainer port connected to it was cracked across the antenna circuit. A friend who worked for a company that built military radios soldered bus wire down the antenna circuit. It was rock solid for the rest of the summer. I eventually sent the Tx in for other work and had the board replaced.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You got no plastic lid over the crystal securing it to the receiver housing! 9,5V is nothing to worry about! It's just fine. But there is nothing to hold the crystal in place but the two pins that go down into crystal holder.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jan, I've got over a dozen 168, 148, 139, etc and none of them have a cover over the xtal. That isn't a problem.

I had one plane that failed range check, with a new receiver. I had a 8" wide loop on the antenna wire. However straightening it full length didn't resolve the problem. Another receiver did.

I have a friend who has discovered a problem with some older RX bateries he has. While they show full charge on a Volt Meter, his volt watch goes nuts with all lights coming on and the servos all chattering. We suspect it is a bad crimp on the battery leads and the contact is breaking down under load. In you case, I would throw another battery in to make sure.

One last thing, a while back, on another glitching thread, someone pointed out that sometimes they got glitching with a fresh charged RX battery, but it went away after being on a few minutes.

Having lost a plane a couple months back because of a cell to cell tab in the RX battery snapping off a battery and effectively turning off the RX, any battery that is questionable is scrapped. I bougt a set of four 2500max NiMH packs just after loosing my plane, for $40 delivered. $10 is ceap insurance if you have the sligest question about a battery.

Don
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Rich has a good point ... you might do some digging here on RCU, I believe there was an issue years ago with a component inside the Tx that could break, especially of the RF module was inserted and removed a lot .. that might be it.

Dave
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember early 8UAF's had the pins that connect the transmitter to the module in the back would crack the solder joints and have intermittent contact.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something more weird happen, after a few tries with my friend that owns a hobby shop, we swapped diferent batteries cause a low battery message appears, with a full charge battery the message still persist, i was ending to send the futaba radio to futaba service department to get inspected, i love that radio and i want to keep it in great condition.

After a lot of money invested on the heli, the airplane and electronic, i was debating on my head about getting 2.4 radio........and well here is the new partner on my fly days. Got an extra rx for the airplane.