Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Servo potentiometer

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
tuavp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Servo potentiometer

I live in TURKEY and I have doesens of digial JR servos in hand. 8411+8611+8711. A few of their potentiometers should be changed because they can not find the center , mooving left and right always etc. So it is impossible to send them back to USA Horizon hobby for the service and very very expensive way as well.

Anyone nows where to find and buy the JR Digital servo potentiometers on the web??? Please inform

Thks
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: JR Servo potentiometer

I tried to buy them once from Horizon and they do not sell them (of course they have them for repairs - but they don't sell them outright). good luck and let me know if you find a source.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
freeair

have you tried cleaning the pots. i had this problem with a few servos and after a good clean they work fine.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Don't most of the newer servos have Sealed Pots? I had to clean and center the pots on servos from the late '70s and early '80s. but never since then.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 AM
jaka

Hi!
Sealed pots!? I have cleaned pots and tightened the arm on several newer servos including JR and Futaba servos. Just take a fine screw driver and pray away the tabs on the pot.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

I have a few servos like that but... I do not know which, where and what the potentiometer is. Any pictures to help?
SOmebody also suggested using a contact cleaning fluid...
Thank you
Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: beto9

I have a few servos like that but... I do not know which, where and what the potentiometer is. Any pictures to help?
SOmebody also suggested using a contact cleaning fluid...
Thank you
The pots are "specials both in value and in physical dimensions" and are sealed.
The lack of linearity is generally (always in my experience) due to wear from vibration.
No cleaner is going to fix it. The ONLY cure is replacement.
As the pots are sealed (and a b**** to remove) you can forget the "cleaner" suggestion in this case.

If you are an extremely fussy "Precision pilot" the need to replace can be as short as 50 flights or as long as a couple of hundred. But replace them you will, simply a matter of when.

One I talked with swaps them out at 25 flights. Needless to say he is BIG TIME and sponsored.
I consider this quite extreme but, he has lots of hardware on his trophy shelves.

Electrics are virtually excluded from this wear aspect. (Guess what I fly now? )

For one experienced in some form of electronics it is simply a pain (if you had the parts).
I am and I wouldn't think of replacing them vs. sending them to Horizon.

Sorry guys but back to Horizon in the USA or ????distributor in other locales.
Obviously other countries in North America are Horizon as well.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Better to draw from knowledge than make mistakes... Thanks onewasp!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 PM
freeair

the problem with this day and age is we all think when something goes wrong, toss it out and buy a new one but most of the time your just waisting money when the item can be repaired very easy. as i mentioned previously about how i have cleaned Servo Pots successfully with very little effort and tools. [ ear cotton wool bud and metho ] 1 of my first proportional radio sets came with very bad servo pots where they had to be cleaned before every flying session, the problem with the pots were a cheap type of carbon was used and this carbon build formed a slight powder on the pickups, a quick clean and all was fine until next time. this went on for several months until i had the money to buy a better radio set with good servos.