Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receivers in JR. Futaba and others, regulators?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receivers in JR. Futaba and others, regulators?

I would like to know if the receivers in most modern RC systems have internal regulators in them?
If so how come when you put a 5 cell pack in place of a 4 cell pack the servo torque goes up? The servos are obviously seeing this higher voltage coming out of the receiver, does the receiver itself have a regulator in it that only regulates the the internals of the receiver and the servo outputs are open collector and not regulated?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Receivers in JR. Futaba and others, regulators?

I know that the Rx, itself, without servo load, will run on voltages close to 3.5v in some cases. When people use Isolater circuits that use separate batteries for the servos and a separate battery for the Rx, the voltage to the Rx can be 3.5v. I use voltage regulators between the Switch Harness and the Rx battery, when I have servos that cannot handle 6v or higher. I also use voltage regulators when I am using Lithium batteries for the Rx. For the JR8711 servos, I have friends running unregulated 2cell Lithium Rx packs which are 8.4v fully charged. I do not know about voltage regulators in the Rx, but most Rx's I have used over the years work with 6v or 4.8v, unregulated. I think it is mainly the servos that determine the voltage regulation needed.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

As far as I know, there is only on rx out which has a voltage regulator, it's brand new and it's for a heli;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMAR7100

Some heli stuff doesn't like anything higher than 5.2 volts, so they've used a regulator to cut it down.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zeeb, that looks good!

Just wondering why it's just for helis ? Is it the range? It says full range in the specs tho...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am quite sure that there is an internal regulator on all the receivers, This regulates the power on the rf section only, has nothing to do with the voltage going to the servos . On some, the regulation also applies to the decoding section. If you monitor the output to the servo with an oscilloscope, you can see if the output to the servo (signal line only) is regulated. On some brands, you will see that this amplitude is only about 3 volts on those where the decoder is regulated as well as the rf section regardless of the voltage of the receiver battery; on others where only the rf section is regulated, it will be nearly as high as the receiver bus voltage. Now, when you are putting more than the 4 cell voltage on the receiver, you are definitely working that regulator harder (more heat dissipation) which can adversely effect it lifetime. The two types of components most adversely effected by over voltage will be that regulator and any electrolytic capacitors.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Servo ports are on a common power bus with the battery input. They have internal regulators at the component level but as zeeb said, thats the only one with a built in regulator to the servo ouput. Digital tail rotor servos dont like higher voltage, thats the deal with the heli regulator, most of the servos still have the straight output. It has nothing to do with range or anything else other than dropping down the output to the high frame rate tail servos we use.