Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is correct. They are redoing it.

Originally Posted by JIMF14D
The Hitec site says the manual is not available..... I guess that is just for USA.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM
gjhinshaw

That is correct. you have to do a P.Mix for it.

Originally Posted by Beej
Hi AT,Dropped my Aurora 9 last week and broke it so this morning picked a 9X. I might be going crazy but there doesn't appear to be any Rudder to Elevator mix so I can mix out my knife-edge coupling. Aileron to Rudder (page 1) and there's also a Rudder to Aileron (page 2). That doesn't make any sense... Also there's something called "KnifeMix" (page 2) so I thought - well, that's obviously what I need but the sub menu has Aileron to Elevator!! OK, so either I am crazy or it's HItec. Please tell me why I'm crazy :-)

Also, hasn't someone proof read the manual after all this time - it has a number of typos and very bad english... That's not very good attention to detail from Hitec.

Thanks for any help!

best

Beej
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to wait for 4 or 5 months before popping on a new radio or any electronic device to find out if they have any issues .In todays computer forums and other sites that review the new things it wont take long to find flaws. I fly sprectum because it did come out first but i waited before selling my futaba fm raidios off. I would have stuck to futaba fasst 2.4 radios but the recievers were over priced and i had over 60 planes to switch over to new recievers. . I remember when the Aurora line of radios first came out and they were cheap radios that only took non chargable A batterys. It looks like they have come a long way since then. joe

Last edited by joebahl; 08-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Beej

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
That is correct. you have to do a P.Mix for it.
Thanks - P.Mix it is - just liked the convenience of having it set up for me already and a bit perplexed by "replacing" it as a preset with a mix or two not not many ACRO modellers would use. Oh well (by the way the P.Mix part of the manual has typos as well). As previously noted the printed manual has numerous typos and perplexing sentence constructions. Really not good enough and just brings a cloud over the whole "attention to detail" aspect that successful modellers rely upon.

Overall I find the weirdest thing is that opening the box I was transported back to 1974 and my first radio (Kraft) - instead of a Nimh receiver battery there was one of those plastic contraptions designed to hold 4 x AA batteries! I appreciate the retro approach as an homage to the past but I sure hope that some newbie doesnt attempt to fly their plane with digital servos and their "supplied receiver pack"! Curiouser and curiouser....

Happy skies!

Beej
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM
joebahl

Thanks - P.Mix it is - just liked the convenience of having it set up for me already and a bit perplexed by "replacing" it as a preset with a mix or two not not many ACRO modellers would use. Oh well (by the way the P.Mix part of the manual has typos as well). As previously noted the printed manual has numerous typos and perplexing sentence constructions. Really not good enough and just brings a cloud over the whole "attention to detail" aspect that successful modellers rely upon.

Overall I find the weirdest thing is that opening the box I was transported back to 1974 and my first radio (Kraft) - instead of a Nimh receiver battery there was one of those plastic contraptions designed to hold 4 x AA batteries! I appreciate the retro approach as an homage to the past but I sure hope that some newbie doesnt attempt to fly their plane with digital servos and their "supplied receiver pack"! Curiouser and curiouser....

Happy skies!

Beej
Kraft, Ace , MRC . I still have a Orbit radio with tubes with one sliding switch ,slide it onnce for a right turn and twice for a left turn. There was no elev or ail just rudder . Sometimes i wish some of the new flyers of today had to fly this way and a galoping ghost would have realy messed with their brain. lmao Sorry for the time trip and back to bad instructions . lmao joe
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Beej

Originally Posted by joebahl
Kraft, Ace , MRC . I still have a Orbit radio with tubes with one sliding switch ,slide it onnce for a right turn and twice for a left turn. There was no elev or ail just rudder . Sometimes i wish some of the new flyers of today had to fly this way and a galoping ghost would have realy messed with their brain. lmao Sorry for the time trip and back to bad instructions . lmao joe
Yep - at least the Kraft was a proportional radio not a pulse/reed!

B.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
joebahl

Yep - at least the Kraft was a proportional radio not a pulse/reed!

B.
I had proprotional radios when i found the old orbit but i wanted to feel how it was to fly a rudder only plane the way the old timers did . It sucked but it was a learning curve that most will never get a chance to do.
joe
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 AM
JIMF14D

Well you got part of it right. Waiting a bit before you buy a new system to let the bugs get worked out is a good idea. But the Aurora 9 was never a cheap line radio with A batteries. It is one of the best radios around at the $400 price point with great reliability and Hitec support if you need it.

Now if they just get their A9X act together I will buy one...LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GJ

What size battery does the tx use? Have they gone back to the 9.6 or are they still going with the smaller battery that was in the A9.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
gjhinshaw

Bill,
The A9X comes with a NiMh 7.2V ~ 2000mah. BUT... Now it has the standard servo type plug. What I have done is put a LiPo in it and have fun for months! The pointer is now part of the radio and not clipped on to the handle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	1916489  

Last edited by gjhinshaw; 09-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Thank you GJ. Lipo might be the way to go if the 2000 doesn't hold up.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
JDM2000

Hello everyone...long time member and have not posted in a long time as well. I just want to throw my two cents into the pot...

I used to be a Futaba, JR and Airtronics flyer for many, many years before I purchased my first Hitec radio, an Eclipse 7 (72mhz, 1st gen). Ever since I got my hands on that radio, I started to compare "it" to everything else I could get and/or afford. Given that this radio provided me with everything I needed, I started using it on my better planes. I slowly changed all my receivers to Hitec and put my best / largest models on this radio. I did not change that one radio until the A9 came out. I bought that one and to date, have not looked back.

On a side note, Hitec's support is by far "the" best support I have ever had from any manufacturer.. Having this kind of support will keep me as a customer for life...

I'm very interested in the A9X in the fact that Hitec continues to strengthen a good thing. However, " I " don't really have a need to upgrade to A9X because I don't fly anything that has warranted me looking for something better than the A9. I have pondered what to get if I needed more than 9 channels, but that has not happened to date (I'm a big sailplane flyer now). IF my A9 was to fault in the future, I would not hesitate to purchase the A9X to replace the failed radio, but I would NOT do this just to upgrade.

I would however consider an immediate upgrade if the 9 channels went up...and the cost was kept within reach. I have been in the field with a lot of the Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Tactic, etc. and I'm the only one (to date) that flies the Hitec. But everyone has to compare their radios to mine...and short of channels, none have anything that I could want or need. OH, and by the way, every chance I get to show them the simplicity of setting up this radio, ALL have said that this was excellent.

The one thing I would put to Hitec as a point to mention...and I too agree that this could use a face lift, in the radio screen resolution. But other than that, I am extremely please with the Hitec Aurora 9 radio, and with Hitec as a company.

Ok, so maybe it was a little more than two cents...but I'm glad I posted this.

Regards to all...Happy Flying...
Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM
gjhinshaw

JDM,

For a long time I was the only guy too.... Flying the Hitec..... But after a couple months and showing how easy it is to do this or that, I found some of them looking at the radio. I fly everything and I have had really no issues with the A9..... Do I need more channels? To me I don't even in my jets or my larger scale B17, B24, and so on...... To me the price is right for a 9ch. radio...... Now, I tend to look at the radios with the 18ch or more, But I just can't see paying that much or using the massive channel board.
To me that is just more to go wrong, but on the plus..... No "Y's" anymore, sub-trim for each servo.........But, I also know that while Hitec is up to par, the rest of the radio's are still using the outdated 2.4 from Vietnam. I also feel that in the future Hitec will step up with a 12ch soon...
I have been able to mess with the A9X for a couple weeks now and I really like it.... It is VERY fast when you have the servos to see it in action. I also see that that kind of speed is only seen when I am flying my Helicopter where it "IS" needed. There are a couple more fun fly's left around here so I will be showing it off to everyone..... Saying that, If you are around Kansas City, Missouri are and want to see it just look me up at the events. If you have question's also... Let me know.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM
JDM2000

GJHINSHAW, nice to meet you. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm flying sailplanes (ellipsoid, RTG, Calypso (foam), Fling, etc.) now along with a Mentor 58", P-47 (Pkzone), etc. and none of these are handicapped by the speed of the A9. This is what I fly and thus far, there has not been a need to change. Even from the Eclipse 7 days...there was no need to change. I'm not going to bash any of the other radio manufacturers, because, really, they stand on their own and there are very good products out there. But I am going to say that I have had to return two Futaba radios for repair in my lifetime and I lost a Radian (the first sailplane I flew in North Carolina) to a Spektrum radio (lost total control). I have NEVER had any issues with any of my Hitec radios! Maybe I've been lucky but this is what has kept me in the running and my loyalty.

Another point to mention is the distances that I fly my sailplanes...I mean, to the point that these sailplanes are specks in the air. I have had numerous people sneak up behind me and tell me that I'm tempting fate to fly that high...because I'm going to lose connection using this radio. You know, as far a I can attest...if I can see it, the radio will connect. And to date, this has been the case.

I do agree with you that more channels may become something that I may be very interested in. I'm not sure that 12 channels would be the number (though 3 more channels seem to be good (retracts, cabins, smoke, etc.)) because I have not built anything that has needed them. HOWEVER, I have been considering building a larger scale aircraft, like a Giles 202, and here the speed will be the key to the upgrade. And again, in this case, I'm not talking more channels, it's the speed that I would be interested in.

I have not had a chance to control a craft with the A9X (this would be awesome if I could play with one to see the difference in real life...prior to buying), but I just can't justify buying another radio when my planes don't need it. As far as I'm concerned, my mind is focused on my next plane...my radio is always a constant.

By the way, the guy that has usually helped me is Billy at Hitec. He's very knowledgeable and he'll take the time to work with you to get your issue taken care of. Kudos to support...above and beyond a solid product, is their solid support.

And last but not least, I sure would love to fly with you. Like I said, there are NO Hitec flyers in my club. I guess it's because Spektrum has such a large following in NC. If you go to the shops here, they all carry mostly Spektrum, then Futaba...and that's it. Maybe I can get a few converts...

Regards...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
gjhinshaw

LOL... That would be great to get them to change to Hitec! Spectrum, Futaba, and JR receivers are SO CHEAP now that Hobby King sells them. Those little orange receivers for, What... 5 bucks?? Can go a long ways on those, But does everyone trust them?? I don't know.... I do have a DX6i for some of my BNF little stuff But even than I can see that the A9 and A9X is SO much faster. I think I need to post a video of the difference between the 2 on speed..... I have some servos that are 0.04sec @ 60' So I can show everyone.... Think that would work??? Maybe.....
Anyways, If you need something just shoot me a email and I will see what I can do to help...... So far there is NOT a manual for the A9X
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
A.T.

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
<snip>
... So far there is NOT a manual for the A9X
So far there is NOT a manual for the A9 X???

It is available, what page would you like a copy of?
The manual is supplied with the transmitter and pdf should be online shortly.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 PM
GizmoMadMax

Originally Posted by A.T.
So far there is NOT a manual for the A9 X???

It is available, what page would you like a copy of?
The manual is supplied with the transmitter and pdf should be online shortly.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

AT is World class, always on the ball, Top 10, the Best!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
gjhinshaw

It is available to over seas but not in the USA yet.
And neither is the radio available in USA
Old 09-17-2013, 03:26 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Red face

Does the 9X require different servos to use the High Resolution and if so can the radio do the old resolution with older analog or digital servos.

<----- For another 28 Days then it off to Apache Junction for the winter
Flying season.

Last edited by HoundDog; 09-17-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM
gjhinshaw

No, it does not. you can use the old or New receivers. In order to use the new receivers you have to switch to that receiver......

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Does the 9X require different servos to use the High Resolution and if so can the radio do the old resolution with older analog or digital servos.

<----- For another 28 Days then it off to Apache Junction for the winter
Flying season.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:44 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I am thinking of buying a sensor station, but didn't really know what the best temperature sensor to buy for a 50cc gas engine.
They have the HTS-TEMP, and the HTS-E temperature sensors available.
The HTS-TEMP looks as if the loops wouldn't fit over the head of a 50cc gas engine. The HTS-E needs to be plugged into a spade that is bolted to the engine somewhere.
What has worked for you?
There are two sensor stations available for the same price, the Nitro and the Advanced. Which would be best?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 AM
gjhinshaw

Greg,

First tell me "ALL" you want to do with the Tel. system. What are you wish to hook up???

Originally Posted by OldRookie
I am thinking of buying a sensor station, but didn't really know what the best temperature sensor to buy for a 50cc gas engine.
They have the HTS-TEMP, and the HTS-E temperature sensors available.
The HTS-TEMP looks as if the loops wouldn't fit over the head of a 50cc gas engine. The HTS-E needs to be plugged into a spade that is bolted to the engine somewhere.
What has worked for you?
There are two sensor stations available for the same price, the Nitro and the Advanced. Which would be best?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Right now just the temp feature. I really don't see the necessity for most of the telemetry features, just some more unnecessary stuff that isn't needed.

I found a good link on the Hitec site that explains how to use telemetry add on. Very poor descriptions of use of these telemetry add on parts at any point of sale.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/s0OuEhr...l=0&autoplay=1

Greg
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
joebahl

If i need to see how high it is on a little screen i should not be flying ,if its two hot to fly after i adjusted it on the ground then it should run cooler in the air. All these bells and whistles are just just more things to take your eye's off your plane and help you crash one. I know there will be some who say its great but we have been flying for a long time with no need for this kind of transmitter functions in our planes and iam not going to learn how to use it now,or waste money on it either. BTW iam pretty sure that these things are powered by somthing, probly your reciever battery and your transmitter battery or you need another battery for them (extra weight and or less flying time) lol joe

Last edited by joebahl; 09-18-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
gjhinshaw

Greg,

Just get the one for Nitro. This will do all you want, also get the HTS-eTEMP - Engine Temperature Sensor. No need for the Advance system.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe,

True, been flying a very long time without it. BUT, some of us see things differently than what others do. I like to use some of the stuff so I know if something is wrong, weather it be Electric, Glow, or gas.
Your commit is of one that has nothing to do with anything we are talking about! So take some advice and delete this thread as you have nothing valuable to say. Not being a *****, but just stating the obvious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.