Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R606FS batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba R606FS batteries

I am putting a 1/4 scale together. It has four 1/4 scale hi tech servos and two standard servos. The wimpy nicad pack suppliesd with the radio is clearly not going to cut it. If I use NiMh batteries I could get over double the MaH of the standard 600 MaH nicd pack. If I went 5-cell I could do better still. My thought is that running five cells give a higher voltage therefore less amps. I am worried about running all that current through the RX. I looked through the manual and it does not seem to address this point. I could not find it on Futaba's website eigher. At some point there must be a limit of how much current can be passed through the RX. What is acceptable with this reciever?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Futaba R606FS batteries

I'm sure the Hobbico reps will chime in here, but I think the limit through the receiver is 9 amps sustained, 20amps peak. I do not believe you would hit the limits with a 1/4 scale plane, but it all depends on your setup.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM
pilotpete2

Use of a 5 cell pack is highly recommended, but the current will be slightly (emphasis on slightly) higher, not lower, as you are increasing the voltage without making any change to the load.
Pete
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
crossman

The red and black wires to the servso are "bussed", that is they are connected to a common "pos" trace and a common "neg" trace on the PC board. These traces carry the current to the servos, it is not passed through the rest of the Rx. I have had a did short occur on the bus that unsoldered the pins without any internal damage to the receiver.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Scota4570

ORIGINAL: crossman

The red and black wires to the servso are "bussed", that is they are connected to a common "pos" trace and a common "neg" trace on the PC board. These traces carry the current to the servos, it is not passed through the rest of the Rx. I have had a did short occur on the bus that unsoldered the pins without any internal damage to the receiver.

That makes perfect sense.

How about using a 5-cell NiMh pack soldered together out of hardware store batteries? 2300 MaH for 12-bucks. It is very tempting. I am an experienced electronics experimenter and can do a good job without cooking the batteries.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
That's what I use! 2100mAh NiMH cells. Soldered together without any soldering tabs. Works just perfect!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Plug the servos into the RX....

Plug the battery in...

Go fly...

With so few servos, you will be absolutely fine.. No need to create problems for yourself.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running multiple digital servos direct on my 607 and 608 receivers in 50cc gassers, no problems at all with Li-Ion and A123 battery setups.