Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hitec Supreme 8 IIS, antenna cut, resoldered, is it safe?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Supreme 8 IIS, antenna cut, resoldered, is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hitec Supreme 8 IIS, antenna cut, resoldered, is it safe?

I accidentally cut the antenna about halfway through the wire on a repair (no crash) the cut is about 18” from the receiver. I re-soldered with as little solder as possible. The antenna is still the same length. The connection is good. Does any one know if there are any effects from doing this? IE, interference or oddities... I will replace with a new antenna but the hobby guy like never has the Hitec antennas in stock. $2 part...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Supreme 8 IIS, antenna cut, resoldered, is it safe?

That type of fix creates a hard spot in the wire, overtime the surrounding wire will sometimes fail. I would replace it very soon to be safe.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
chashint

Solder in the middle of a wire does create a hard spot, but if you put shrink tube on it so the hard spot does not get bent it will last as long as the rest of the wire.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I had an old Futaba receiver that had a soldered antenna spot in the middle like you're describing. I flew it for two seasons without any problems.

Do a good, thorough range check before flying. If there is a problem with the antenna, it will show up during the range check. If you range check the radio system from two or three different angles and you're confident that the plane doesn't exhibit any proplembs, then enjoy.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the solder job is good, it will work as well as ever, absolutely no problem other than making that point in the antenna more fragile to breakage if it gets lots of flexing.