Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 10C Questions

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 10C Questions

First I'll appologize for the cross post, but I've not received an answer from Bax.

My new 10C arived today(yesterday now) and I have a few questions.

First, is the R6014FS receiver. Two questions here.
1. I undersand that this receiver has been discontinued. Is there an upgrade program, It's kind of disharting to buy a "new" setup, expecailly one of this price to discover it is outdated already.

2. The discussions of the "dot" on this receiver brings up the question, where is the DOT at? I don't see one on the case and I'm heasitant to pop the case open. I held off buying until the heat issue was addressed and as I'm putting this into a p-61, heat is going to be a problem if I have the old receiver.

Second, the R617FS receuver
I read a post where Krysta stated that the voltage should not go above 6V http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8217570/tm.htm Is this nominal voltage or exact voltage?

Last, is there a link that I can download all the FAQ on the 10C? I have a well worn and tattered manual for my 9CAPS that goes to the field with me every day. I have saved off a copy of the 10 manual, but the FAQ's are where a lot of good info is at, and I see not way other than open and print each one to get a hardcopy set. Any help here

Then I added the following

One more question, is there a set of instructions for the R6014FS receiver, I find nothing other than how to bind it to the transmitter. In paticular, what is the "Data" port and what are "DG1 and DG2 Ports?

Hey, I just noticed a small silver dot between the antennas, is the the DOT I'm looking for???

Thanks for any answers you can give.

Don
Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 10C Questions

Well I've had my 10C for about a year now and I will answer what I can as the best I can.
Q-1 Ref the 6014FS receiver, after buying the 10C I sold my 6014FS to a friend that had a 12FG 2.4 and as far as I know he hasn't had any issues with the RX, I replaced it with the 608FS and have not had any problem with them.Now I see there also discontinued.So looks like I will have to watch RCU and hope I can get them alittle cheaper.

The dot issue, well when I got the 6014FS w my 10C it didnt have any dots ( you will find the small double dots on the end were the coax cable come out of the receiver. Some of the after market 608FS RX and 617FS RX have the dots and others dont. Only thing I can sugesst is call hobby services and ask them what option you have as fare as warranty on the 6014FS. They may want you to send them the RX and they can check it over to see if there are any heat issues with the RX. Basicly the Futaba site states you need to cover your canopy with say a white towel if your plane is setting in direct sun light. This is supose to cut down on the heat build up inside the fuse. while setting still. Futaba site also states to mount the RX on its side so air can get to the RX and cool it down. Only down side is you cant see the red and green RX lights to make sure your RX and TX are propery linked together. The futaba site also say you sould range check your TX and RX at the begining of each day of flight. Your 10C manual sould state how to do this.

Q-2 I'v used a 2100mah Nimh 6.0 volt battery with my 617FS with my 9C and did not have any problems. My guess is they dont want you to possibly use LIPO's with the 617FS maybe without a regulater between the RX and the battery.
As fare as the down loads for the 6014FS Hobby Serices may be able to send you the PDF file for down loading.

Last question, yup that might be the great dreaded dot, on my 608FS and 617FS all have dots and are different colors, some white some yellow. My guess this is a way for hobby services to know that the RX has been checked over by them

Hope this helps and doesn"t make Bax and Krista mad. If you get the chance to talk with either of them there both great people to talk to and both work for hobby services. I dont this there trying to hide anything from the public. They can only answer what they have been privied too.

NEDYOB
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Campgems

Nedyob, thank you for you info.

Have you run across a spreadsheet like the one for the 9C only for the 10C?

Don
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM
nedyob

What 9C spread sheet?
NEDYOB
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Campgems

I'll have to look it up again, I just saw it tonight and I downloaded it a while back. I'll find it again and send you the link.

Don
Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Campgems

I lucked out, I had the link open in another window

http://www.stoneridgetech.com/rc/f9c...eadsheet.shtml

I'm not sure how good it is, but I'll look it over some tomorrow and see if I can update it for the 10C.

Don
Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 AM
nedyob

I didnt even know there was a down loadable spread sheet for your home PC, I found a set up information sheet for the 9C that had to be printed from the Futaba web site. I did those along time ago. I was able to install the spread sheet to my PC. And it is editable alls you have to do is right click. Alot of the 10C formate info is the same as the 9C.
NEDYOB
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Campgems

I took care of my last question, a printable FAQs document. I've spent the last hour and a half copying the 10C FAQs to a Word document. All 41 pages of it.

A few interesting things popped up in the process. I'll point out one.

On page 20 of the 10C Instruction Manual, at the top, I quote "The receiver contains preceision electornic Parts. It is the most delicate radio component on-board the model and should be protected from vibration, shock and temperature extremes. To protect the receiver, wrap in in R/C foam rubber or other vibration-absoorbing material."

Then in the FAQs, under #5 in Airplane programing, "How to Get the Best Performance from Your 2.4GHz FASST Aircraft Receivers."

"Below are some recommendations for updating the way you install and maintain radio gear. Make them a part of your routine, and you'll enjoy the best performance from your 2.4GHz FASST radio gear.
1. Don't wrap your FASST receiver in foam.
Protecting your receiver from vibration by wrapping it in foam used to be a "must". Not so with 2.4GHz FASST receivers. Unlike 72MHz equipment, they're not as vulnerable to vibration. Using less foam lets them operate cooler - which is a plus for all electronics.
Tip: To keep the receiver cooler use small foam blocks (like standoffs) so that there is an air channel around the receiver."

I thought this was an interesting conflict. I think the FAQ wins in my view.

Don
Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Campgems

I took care of my last question, a printable FAQs document. I've spent the last hour and a half copying the 10C FAQs to a Word document. All 41 pages of it.

On page 20 of the 10C Instruction Manual, at the top, I quote "The receiver contains preceision electornic Parts. It is the most delicate radio component on-board the model and should be protected from vibration, shock and temperature extremes. To protect the receiver, wrap in in R/C foam rubber or other vibration-absoorbing material."

Then in the FAQs, under #5 in Airplane programing, "How to Get the Best Performance from Your 2.4GHz FASST Aircraft Receivers."

"Below are some recommendations for updating the way you install and maintain radio gear. Make them a part of your routine, and you'll enjoy the best performance from your 2.4GHz FASST radio gear.
Protecting your receiver from vibration by wrapping it in foam used to be a "must". Not so with 2.4GHz FASST receivers. Unlike 72MHz equipment, they're not as vulnerable to vibration. Using less foam lets them operate cooler - which is a plus for all electronics.
Tip: To keep the receiver cooler use small foam blocks (like standoffs) so that there is an air channel around the receiver."

Don
As was explained some time ago http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7606959/tm.htm and in various threads in that same forum, the manuals were developed based on the 72 MHz radios. They intend to eventually update them at a future printing.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Don
As was explained some time ago http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7606959/tm.htm and in various threads in that same forum, the manuals were developed based on the 72 MHz radios. They intend to eventually update them at a future printing.

Bruce, last summer, I had no interest in a FASST system, so I paid no attention to the post on it. Now I have one and I'm trying to catch up.

Don

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Don,
Good luck with the new 10C[8D]
I don't know what's up with the Tower website, I could swear the last time I looked at the listing for the R6014FS, they were showing the new R6014HS as being due soon.
Both the R608 and R6014 have been given an update where ch 1-6 will run at double the frame rate as an option, but digital servos must be used on all channels from 1-6, or ESC's or gyros. with analog servos they can be set to run at the traditional frame rate, same as the FS versions. They are already selling the new R608HS at the same price as the original, so it looks like Futaba is adding value to their receiver line.
My R617FS receivers have been running like clockwork, maiden'd my QQ Yak (73") a week ago, fly's like a dream. This is my first gas powered model, so far I like the gas setup.
Best of luck,
Pete

Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Campgems

Pete, I'm looking foreward to trying it out this weekend. I'll probably just use the 72mhz rf modules I have as I woun't have time to replace receivers. I couldn't pass up the price. Mark Twain Hobby Center had it on Ebay for $559 including postage and it came with the R617FS promo receiver as well as the R6014fs receiver.

Guess I need to sell my 9C now. Think I'll keep my 9C super though.

I got it for the ASM P-61 that I have waiting to build. I'm not sure how the all black will work with the R6014FS, so I'll probably use a 9ch pcm setup first.

Glad to hear your Yak is doing good. Sounds like the snow is off the ground there now The only thing white around here now is ash from the fires south of me. At least the prevailing winds are blowing it south so I don't have to breath it. I haven't flown in a couple weeks, the wind has been something over the last few weeks. Soon though.

Don

Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Don
Don,

Would you share that document with us? It would be much appreciated!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Valve floater

Guys,i just bought the older version 10c from Tower. They have it on special. Then i started researching issues with the 6014fs which is what i am getting ,and i am worried.I am using HS 5945mg servo`s and JR ds 8411`s mixed. There is no list i can find to see if my servo`s will work at a lower 2.7 signal. Futaba says there is an issue and to get your servo`s adj. by their manuf. I can`t find out fof certain anywhere that it says there is solid proof of a recall or upgrade to the fs. Minus the unproven dots.When i get it in i may just ship it back to Tower and wait til the updated 10c with the 6014HS is ready in June.Spend a little more,Why take a risk. Is there and thread about an update stated by Futaba in wording on this? On thier site there is something about the voltage issue.The HS states it will work with all dig. servo`s. Looks like you have more options on faster servo rates. Great. But that is not that important to me flying scale. I just don`t want to put it in the ground from incompatible servo`s at a higher heat range.Maybe sig. voltage has been brought back to 3.0 on the HS? I live in major heat in South Louisiana. Have the heat issues been addressed on the particularreceiver i am getting? Will Futaba tell you?The intergrated new 10c radio i believe works just as good, and that is not what i am questioning. To much money to think it may work or it may have an issue. I don`t have the time or money to ship off servo`s or buy extra stuff to make it safely work. I like and want to stay with Futaba.You hear a lot of people say : i have had no problems. If you start to read to much on the net as a newbie 2.4 flyer you start to not know what to believe. I may just keep it. I don`t know!!? Thanks,
new to 2.4
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off you want get an answer from Bax on anything to with heat or dots but if your receiver has a dot it is an upgraded one from the none dot version and
should perform better in higher temps, The FS has been discontuned in favor of the HS version that can send faster data to digital servos.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 AM
DougV

Valve,

Here it is from Hitec. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82..._1/key_/tm.htm

From someone that actually uses the R6014FS no dots in Jets, I can tell you that Ihaven't experienced any issues with my Hitec servos or heat for that matter, here in the South Florida heat.

Doug.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Valve floater

Thanks guys. The info. is very informative.