Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual reciever setups. . .Could you clue me in?

Old 06-18-2003, 10:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual reciever setups. . .Could you clue me in?

This is a two part question about how dual recievers work and also a brief question regarding channel mixing. . .I'd appreciate any input you can give .

Say I were to use two 6V 600mah batteries powering two seperate 8 channel recievers (of the same type), And use one transmitter (a Futaba 9C) to control the airplane. . .How does this work? Do I plug servos into 1 reviever, or both? And does this mean I can have more than 8 functions controlable from the transmitter?

For example If there was Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Ailerons, retracts, Flaps, wheel brakes, and a bomb drop, using up a single reciever. . .Would I be able to plug more servos into the second reciever that would control functions like a closable canopy and bomb bay doors? If not seperatly controlable, at least mix it so the canopy closes when the throttle hits a certain point etc. . .Possible?

Basicly what I'm trying to figure out is how dual reciver/batteries function and what benefits they have.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on this. It was discussed quite extensively last week.

For what you were asking about canopy and stuff like that, dual rec's would be kind of a waste in my opinion. Mainly they are used for redundant control. You would put the ail on one side on one rec, and the other on the second. Same with the elevator. Throt and rudder would be on sep rec's. All the other stuff can go where ever you want it.

Look at the threads that exist on it and you will get a really good idea about what people are doing with redundant systems.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 PM

Of all places I searched, these forums passed my mind. . .

Thanks Flyboy.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:58 PM

Searched. . .Nothing answered my question about being able to have more than 8 functions when using an 8 channel radio with two recievers. . .

If anyone could touch on this, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will have no more functions than than the channel capacity of the transmitter other than having a servo for another function trigger a microswitch with a momentary imput on the first function to operate a secondary function as is commonly done with controlline scale.

John
Old 06-24-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The number of fully-proportional channels is limited by the Tx, but additional non-proportional control functions can be added with devices like the JR Channel Xpander Catalog page I don't own one, so can't comment on its effectiveness / reliability. There is also a UK company, whose name escapes me at the moment, that makes a similar device.

Dual receivers are mainly used to handle high current due to the use of many and/or heavy-duty servos, and also for redundancy, but the latter may be a misguided idea since Rx failures are rare compared to power / battery / switch problems. Most redundant systems focus on dual batteries in a true parallel config. Redundant power