Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HS 6635HB Horrible Service and Support

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
kcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HS 6635HB Horrible Service and Support

Interesting problem with four Hitec HS 6635HBdigital servos.
The short version is that they do notcenter accuratelyabout 1/16" error on the control surfaces. They've been back to Hitec twice, andstilldon'twork correctly. Hitec's response is that if I want to pay an additional $40/servo, they'll upgrade them for me.Three Hitec employees have been involvedin this process, and basicallyI've been told to go pound sand. Has anyone else had this bad an experience with Hitec or this particular servo?
I'm using them (or tryingto....) with a Futaba 9CPCM tx/149P rx.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
wesaysoracing

Default RE: Hitec HS 6635HB Horrible Service and Support

i have had a bad experience with hitec service , but will not go into it on here
Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
redfox435cat

I don't buy there stuff anymore, well their retract servo and micro servos are fine, Otherwise I pay the 2-5 bucks for futabas
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM
kcc

I'd love to know if your bad experience was via phone, face-to-face, or both.
Was your problem ever fixed?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

What's your application?

Hitec builds servos at every level. The 6635's are based off the 5625/5645MG which are very popular but with karbonite gears. They use a 3 pole motor to keep the cost down, which is very powerful to get that level of performance but are ultimately not nearly as precise as their coreless motor cousins which will cost you $40+ more.

There are key things you should do to give yourself the best performance posible. The first is to maximize your EPA and D/R settingsin your radio. Next use the shortest hornpossible to obtain the maximum travel you will need at high rate. The longr the arm and the lower the EPA and D/R used the more sensitive the controlsurface is to a smaller amount of servo movement.If you're settingup a 3D model with larger throws then the centering and resolution of the servo become more critical.

Again, Hitec makes servos at every level. To obtain the best performance, just like everything else in thisworld, you need tousethe top of the line products.The 6635HB is a sport level servo and will not provide the level of accuracy of our higher end servos like the 79XX series servos that use a higher resolution I.C and coreless motor. Most likely the servo is working to its capability so if your centering is not acceptible and you have followed the set up I suggested you will need to upgrade to a higher end servo.

Hitec stand behind our products with arguable the best service in the business. Search on the subject if you have any doubts of this. We take care of our customers, but if a servo does not meet your needs then ultimatley it was not the right tool for the job; it is in your best interest to research any product before you purchase it to know if it should suit your needs. You can also call us or post in our forum and we can suggest the best servo for any particular application with the pro's and con's of each.

Mike.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
kcc

Mike,

Let me address the fallacies of your post to me:.

1. I understand that a coreless motor is more accurate than a 3-pole motor, regardless of brand. The centeriing of ANY digital servo should be better (more accurate) than an analog servo.  The glaring error in your statement is that when I plug in a JR DS821 servo which I was given to compare with the Hitec 6635, it centers completely accurately. It is a 3-pole motor servo. If the JR servo centers accurately, your assertion is just wrong.

2. I was told by a Hitec employee that a 2 degree error in centering is acceptable. I have 30 year old analog servos that center more accurately.

3. The End Point settings on the airplane are: Aileron: 130, Elev. 125, Rud 140, and the innermost holes are being used to give me the greatest mechanical advantage. In spite of this, I can vary the control surfaces centering by brushing my finger across the stick.

4. The ads you run tout the 6635 as a way to enjoy the accuracy of a digital servo, yet you infer that I'm expecting too much from the servo. In most cases, digital servos are supposed to be MORE accurate than their analog counterparts...These are not.

5. When this whole saga began, I called Hitec and was told the problem was that there needed to be a resistor change due to a signal voltage drop, and that would fix it. I sent them back, the resistors in each were changed, A few weeks later, I got them back from Hitec, narrowed the deadband, and they still wouldn't center accurately. I called Hitec again, and when I was describing the problem to a guy named Skip, he said "Changing the resistor won't fix the problem". I told him I knew that, cause that had been done. I specifically told him I was concerned that I was nearing the 30 day limit that most retailers give for returning products. I was told "don't worry about that, you'll deal with us, we'll work with you and make it right. I believed what I was told.

The servos were returned a second time, with detailed notes, and a copy of my first correspondence. They were returned  a few weeks later & were here when I returned from a trip. The invoice noted that 3 of the 4 servos had a "Bad Amplifier". I again narrowed the deadband & tried them. They still didn't center accurately. I looked carefully and realized that the three servos had been replaced, as they were in different boxes than I'd sent the others in. This was acknowledged in my conversation with Hitec. Why not just tell me from the start that I was given new servos?

When I called Hitec again, I was told that the servos were within spec, and that a 2 degree error in centering was acceptable. I said that I wasn't happy that I now had 4 new servos that were almost good enough to use for throttle, and asked what we could do to resolve the problem. I reminded him of his statement above regarding the servos being beyond the 30 day limit, & was told Hitec doesn't give money back, it's not a retailer, but if I wanted to, the servos could be upgraded for $40 each. At this point Hitec's solution was to give them more money & trust that the more expensive servo would work. When I asked why I would pay Hitec $80 (the original $40 for the servo, plus the $40 upgrade fee) for a servo I could buy for $70, I was told I couldn't buy the servo for that price. I directed him to the website & he said it's not Hitec's fault if somebody sells servos at a loss, and that Hitec's cost was more than that. Maybe that wasn't a lie, but it certainly wasn't true. I asked if that was the way Hitec works with customers to resolve problems & was told he was trying to work with me.

Had I known the problem wasn't going to be resolved, I'd have simply returned the servos to the retailer, but I was assured by Hitec that they'd work with me.  Now I'm stuck being told it's my fault for buying a digital servo & not knowing it wouldn't work correctly. If I'd known this, I could've bought 4 of the JR 821 servos for less money and far less hassle.   I maintain that the customer service & runaround I've received frm Hitec is horrible, and due to being misled by Hitec, I can't even get my money back.

Kevin

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

WOW! Looks like Hitec does not give much support for their servos. Years ago when they first came on the market, they were very, very good. Lately, from what I have heard in our part of the country (the Southeast US), they have really fallen down. They must have somebean counterswatching the warranty department. Too bad, too sad.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I have sent several Hitec servos in for service and have never been charged for fixing them, even when it was my fault for poor soldering when I soldered an extension onto the PC board.  The only bad luck I had was when I bought 635's when they were touted as a replacement for the venerable 605's, which a lot of us used to use on our warbirds with gas engines.  Then the failings of the Karbonite gears when used with gas engines came to light, and Hitec changed its use recommendation for that servo to glow only with a 12 lb weight limit.  That being said, I've used the 635's on glow sport planes with no problems.  The last servo I sent in just didnt' work, and I had never used it, but no longer had the receipt from when I purchased it, because I sometimes buy a bunch of servos on sale and don't try them out when I first get them.  My one recommendation to those who buy like I do, is to try them all out when you first receive them so if one is bad, there will be no question when you return it for service.  I will continue to use 645's on my warbirds for as long as they make them (and nobody comes out with a superior product at a significantly lower price).

Sam

Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
MikeMayberry

kcc- I'm very sorry you are unhappy with the performance of the 6635's for your application. I am still curious what that application is? You state your problems with centering on the ground but servos will perform differently with no load then when they are in the air. How many flights do you have on these and how often did you have to adjust the trim in the air?

The digital circuit does allow the servo to center more acurately thanthier analog counterpart; I.E. 635 vs. 6635... that statement is accurate. How the 6635 compares to other servos is a different matter. It is very possible that these servos are performing exactly as they should but don't meet your standards for your particulat application. I would not recommend these servos for a pattern plane, for example, because they are ultimately not accurate enough.

You mentioned a 30 day return policy but I don't knowof any retailer that will take back a servo after it has been installed if thecustomer is not happy with it. I appologize if you feel we mislead you in any way. I would like to try to make you happy. I would suggest you contact me at [email protected] and I'll see if there are any other options we can explore.

Mike.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had many dealings with Hitec service and it has always been very fast, very good and in most cases was never charged for repairs, even when the warrenty period had expired as much as two years earlier. IMHO the best service from any RC products dealer.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Cajuncharley

WOW! Looks like Hitec does not give much support for their servos. Years ago when they first came on the market, they were very, very good. Lately, from what I have heard in our part of the country (the Southeast US), they have really fallen down. They must have somebean counterswatching the warranty department. Too bad, too sad.
I'll agree that Hitec now chargesin some casesfor non warranty repairs where in the past we fixed almost everything at no charge reguardless of age or condition. In these economic times this becomes more difficult. In no way do we charge where is it not appropriate. You may see this as "Falling down" as you state but hearingthe stories from manypeople about their dealing withthe other radio manufactures repair policies andI don't think you can say we're anywhere as close to them. There is a difference in supporting a defective product vs. a customer that is not happy with the level of performance for their particular application. This is why we make servos at all levels.

Mike.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
kcc

Mike,
It is telling that you did not address or acknowledge the fallacies of your first post, and are now trying to blame-shift and change the subject of the discussion.
1. You initially inferred that a 3-pole motor was probably the cause of the centering problem, and that a coreless motor servo would be better suited. I stated that I now had 3 pole motor servos that did center accurately, and you shifted the conversation to a comparison of two Hitec products.
2.The statement ofa two degree centering errorerror being acceptable was not addressed.
3. You did not address the fact that in a direct comparison, old, outdated analog servos center more accurately.
4. A retailer's policies are irrelevant to this discussion, and have nothing to do with my being misled by Hitec. In my conversation with Hitec, I was told"don't worry about that, you'll deal with us, we'll work with you and make it right.". You've responded by saying you've never heard of that kind of policy.
5. I was not told in my initial discussions with Hitec that these servos wouldn't center accurately. If I had, I simply would have returned them to the retailer.
6. You don't address that I was told nothing could be done without my being charged an addtional $40/servo & the claim that servos were being sold below Hitec's cost. The retailer has flatly refuted that claim.
7. I have already tried to resolve this issue by dealing with Hitec twice. I know what your solution is, and I would prefer to have transparency when dealing with this issue publicly in this forum.
8. I maintain I've been misled, and I find your apology kind of rings hollow. You do not acknowledge any error on Hitec's part, you simply try to change the subject, and shift the blame.You apologizefor my being unhappy withthe servos, but offer no solution otherthan for me topay more money to a company who's product does not work well. You also apologize for my "feeling like we misled you in any way".I've documented the ways I feel I've been misled, and you have not taken ownership for it.

Kevin

By the way, I had to re-trim the airplane on every passboth aileron and elevator. It's a 60/90 size sport aerobatic plane.That's just not acceptable performance to me.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
MikeMayberry

My offer to help still stands. Contact me and we will explore other options.

Mike.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 PM
kcc

Mike
Does that mean you're willing to say in writing that you will do something other than charge meanadditional $40/servo or refer me back to the retailer?
AsI stated in my previous post, none of my points have been addressed by you in writing, and I've been very specific about what I've been told by Hitec. Please elaborate on what "explore other options" you are referring to.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way i looked at this argument is that people ought do some research before making a purchase, and should take the advantage of generous return policy that most stores offer. It is a big hassle to fight with the vendor once the purchase is made and you decide the product is a defect that is not clearly defined.

If I were you, I would talk to Mike in person, make a decision and move on.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
MikeMayberry

Kevin- It means I'm willing to discuss the situation to try to make you happy.

Mike.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
kcc

nonstop:
I agree that research is a big part of a buying decision. I did research servos, and talked with fliers who were using digital ones. My own experience (35 years of r/c, some years in very competitive areas) gave me a certain amount of knowledge. Hindsight is always 20/20, and if I'd known this was going to be such a problem, I'd have done something else.

My biggest issue is that Hitec misled me (as stated in previous posts), and their rep Mike has refused to directly answer questions asked of him. Look at my previous posts and see if any of my points were addressed directly.Shifting the subject andblame shifting don't solve the problem.As I stated before, I know what options I was offered before, and now I'm being asked to contact Mike privately. If someone won't be forthcoming, direct and specific in public, I have concerns about what will be said in private. If something is in writing, or said in public, it has to be followed up on. The phrase "Trust me" comes to mind.......
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that you are frustrated and you want to be vindicated.

Why not just let Mike try to resolve the problem with your product. Agree to disagree, for now. Perhaps you will have a better experience in the future. If not, post another thread.

I have had good service from Hitec and I have used their products for years. I haven't had to send anything back in years, but when I did, it worked out well. I do not know anyone in the Hitec organization and I am not defending their actions, here, as I do not have all the facts.

Good luck in the future!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 PM
kcc

BuschBarber:
I've been trying to let Mike resolve the situation, but he has consistently refused to answer my questions or address my concerns. Again, I'm not a tough guy to get along with, but if you look back at my posts, I've been very specific with the points I've made, and Mike simply does not address or acknowledge any of them. If my relevant & valid points are being stonewalled, and I can't get a specific answer in writing, I have to wonder why.
I've never met Mike Mayberry and don't have an ax to grind, but when somebody consistently won't be forthcoming, direct and specific, I just get a funny feeling.......
Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know Mike and I don't recall every interacting with him on RCU.

It is not uncommon to have a support person, for a major manufacturer, to be tight lipped, when put on the spot in a forum like this. I would not expect him or her to admit to anything. If the firm were reputable, I would expect them to help resolve my problem Offline.

It is certainly your right to express your concerns, openly, and to deal with this issue in your own way.

I wish you the best!!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 PM
apriliamille

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

It is not uncommon to have a support person, for a major manufacturer, to be tight lipped, when put on the spot in a forum like this. I would not expect him or her to admit to anything. If the firm were reputable, I would expect them to help resolve my problem Offline.

kcc,
are you trying to get a public statement from hitec?
would really suck if he made a statement that someone higher up the food chain then him reverses it and makes the company look bad. and then wave the naughty naughty finger.
did an email get sent? did he have a chance to respond to his inbox with who knows how many other global emails concerning the company?

edited cuz i quoted BB in the tight lipped on a public forum post and didnt want it to look like i was asking BB

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
MikeMayberry

Kevin- The only way you are trying to let me help you is on your terms in a public forum... that's not going to happen. If you want a resolution you will have to contact me. Not your buddies... but you! I will not continue to go back and forth with you in this forum. I've been doing this a long time as you can see by my almost 3000 posts,some of which were complaints that I was able to resolve and theyare now happy customers, and I know a losing battle when I see it. I will offer you options but will not post them here. If this is unacceptible then I wish you luck.

FYI: THe retailer is not responsible for the warranty and once it leaves their store it is Hitec's responsibility, this is the "We will take care of you!" part. The retailer has no obligation to allow you to return an electronic item is you are not happy... they may choose to do so, but they are obligated. We have tried to help youby replacing your servos. I do want to help you as I have stated (several times) but you have not contacted me as I suggested, so at this point the ball is in your court. Be aware I will not be back in the office until Tuesday if you do choose to e-mail me.

I did just perform and extensive test on the 6635 and the centering descepency was about 0.25 - 0.50 degrees with a 2.50" arm as shown below. This is typically what the user can expect with this and the 5625/5645 servos. This should not allow for significant trim issues.

Mike.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50094.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1203641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66041.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1203642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67748.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1203643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64507.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1203644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85095.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1203645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61069.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1203646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74231.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1203647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy83909.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1203648  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt27015.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1203649  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
husker

I have been using Hi-Tec radios and servos for several years. Once I dropped my Eclipse on the pavementand sent it in for service. Hi-Tec did not have the part to fix it so they sent me a new one for a very reasonable price. they have always treated me very well and it appears they are trying to work with this guy but he is having none of it!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:28 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I own a LHS and have had the same thing with a customer. After talking to Hitech and explaining the difference to the customer, he chose to order the coreless and his problem was solved. I didn't take the servos back because those were the ones he asked for. That servo with a 11/2 arm and 4" push rod and a 4" aleron really had a far amount of movement. Using coreless stop all the slop.
Consider this a lesson learned and up grade. You must be very careful in picking radio equipment to meet the needs of the plane. My advice to my customers is always buy more then you need. At least in the future when you go to a bigger plane you already have the servos.
Remember to much never crashed a plane. Dennis
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

I have nothing but good to say about them.
you say all for of your servos have the same problem??? Makes me think that perhaps you don't have something set up correct. Now don't get insulted because I'm not trying to put you down. Just trying to help. Can you explanie just how you are useing these servos and how you have them hooked up from one end to the other on a single servo?. If so perhaps we can put our heads togeather and get them working for you. Now if you want digital performance then step up to the plate and pay the price for that type of servo.

Just a bit of information..... there are many many folks on this site that have never used Hitec servos yet they are experts on them, so goes the same for anyother brand of servo or whatever,, just a bunch of know it alls who want to see their junk in writing on this site. Like the "Expert" over in the engine forum that swears you can increase the displacment of an engine by increasing the crankshaft journel diameter. Now that is the type of person you want to take advise from don't you???

Just be opened minded, but not so open your brain falls out.
ORIGINAL: kcc

Interesting problem with four Hitec HS 6635HBdigital servos.
The short version is that they do notcenter accuratelyabout 1/16" error on the control surfaces. They've been back to Hitec twice, andstilldon'twork correctly. Hitec's response is that if I want to pay an additional $40/servo, they'll upgrade them for me.Three Hitec employees have been involvedin this process, and basicallyI've been told to go pound sand. Has anyone else had this bad an experience with Hitec or this particular servo?
I'm using them (or tryingto....) with a Futaba 9CPCM tx/149P rx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.