Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

12X with 2.4 module

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12X with 2.4 module

Am I losing anything by going with an older 12X with the 2.4 module over the new straight 2.4 12X?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 12X with 2.4 module

I thought the 12XMV, which is the version of the 12X that allows you to switch between 2.4 and 72Mhz, was just released this year and is newer than the 2.4 only version. I saw it at the Toledo Show, last month. It is touted as having the same Latency and 2048 resolution in either mode.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
IFlyEm35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the MV have a separate antenna in the module for the 2.4 or is it just a module swap?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP1210
Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
AWorrest

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.4GHz module for the 12X MV has its own built-in antenna. The 72MHz antenna screws into the ball socket on the top of the transmitter. When the 72MHz antenna is not in use, it is stored in the transmitter in the same manner as the antenna for the 10X is.

The 72MHz has a number of features which Horizon fails to mention. The frequency is set by using the screen and the roller selector. There are no hard to see dials on back of the module. It has a built-in frequency scanner. Strangely JR didn’t go the additional step and prevent the selection of a frequency that is in use. After the frequency is selected, you have the option of setting up your model without transmitting. No need to stick a plug into the DSC connector. The transmitter will remember what frequency you select for each model setup. There is a Horizon bulletin concerning the retention of the frequency if the transmitter is changed over to 2.4GHz and back. I’m not quite sure that warning is correct. See my question posted on Team Horizon.

With all these features, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that 12X modules are not compatible with previous JR transmitters. For one thing there are two 14-pin connectors. While the pins on the connectors are not fragile, they are not nearly as robust as the four pins on previous modules. I don’t plan to be switching modules too often. The antenna on the 2.4GHz module is very close to the handle. Unless you have thin fingers, you will have spread your fingers in the Vulcan greeting fashion to grasp the handle.

Allan