Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

reducing bec voltage from 6v to 5v...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
dcwwcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reducing bec voltage from 6v to 5v...

anybody ever try using an inline diode as a simple way to reduce the BEC voltage from 6v to 5v?
I've been testing the idea and getting it down to 5.18 volts, hoping that's close enough for the receiver to act properly.

any other ideas to do this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time

~don
Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: reducing bec voltage from 6v to 5v...

What ESC/BEC are you using. Most are set to output 5.1V, though some are programmable.
Pete
Old 06-06-2009, 07:21 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Castle BEC defaults to 5.1v but you can program it in steps of 0.1v up or down. I don't understand how a diode will work with DC current.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
dcwwcp

a diode has a forward voltage drop of anywhere between .3v to 1.6v depending on the diode type, material and forward current.
adiode inlne, or in serieswith the receiver should drop the voltage withoutaffecting the load(reciever and servos)

I'm just looking for someone else whohas tried it or has triedsomething else to reduce the BEC voltage from 6v to5v.

thanks guys.
~don
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM
rcacro

The diode will work with no problems. I have used them for years to parallel 2 battery packs in my larger models. Just make sure the diode current rating is equal to or higher than the current output of the BEC.
John W
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 AM
dcwwcp

brilliant, thank you. just what I was looking for. someone who has been doing it for years.
thank you for your input.
as far as rated current, I usually apply the old military rule of electronics: figure out what your requirements are and doubleit for long working lifeand reliability.

thanks again and thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.I'm new to RC hobbies(even though I'm old) and it's hardto find good books on the subject. and information doesn't seem to be"stickied" at the top of the forums.

~don
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
LouisB

As stated, just ensure your diode can handle the current (a 1N4001 can only handle 1A at 50V max). Also, rather put 2 diodes in parallel (side-by-side) in order to up your redundancy.

Just remember that the diode will subtract 0.6V constantly, meaning that your bottom end will also be reduced with 0.6V