Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Maverick_II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7

I was considering buying the Hitec Eclipse 7 Radio as my radio upgrade. I have a Hitec Flash 5, but I feel I will be to limited with that radio in the future. And I don't want to switch manufactures. Do you think I'm I have made a good choice?

Old 06-23-2003, 01:22 AM
David Cutler

Default Re: Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by Maverick_II
I was considering buying the Hites Eclipse 7 Radio as my radio upgrade. I have a Hitec Flash 5, but I feel I will be to limited with that radio in the future. And I don't want to swith manufactures. Do you think I'm I have made a good choice?

I have used mine for many many aircraft now, of completely different configurations and, with the small exception of crow mixing (which is still possible if you use two switches) it has never been lacking. Three flight conditions per model, which can be changed in flight, landing mode, engine lock and cut, timer, easy set-up of exponentials and rates. .. the works!

All I would suggest is you consider buying the Spectra unit with it, and be free! I have a selection of receiver crystals and the first thing I do at the flying field is check which channels are being used, and choose one that is free.

-David C.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:55 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7

I certainly enjoy mine along with four prisms. The Eclipse is far more capable than the Flash 5X and like David said some exotic mixing like power crow and dual channel elevator mixs are not available but it is likely the most capable many will ever need.

I also agree with David completely You will be sorry if you do not it with the synthesized Spectra module. Many do not realize just how valuable this ability is untill they try it. There is one down side to that though and that is don,t forget and lose your bag of spare Rx crystals somewhere like I just did at a pylon race yesterday.

John
Old 06-23-2003, 02:02 AM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

and lose your bag of spare Rx crystals somewhere like I just did at a pylon race yesterday
Argh! I hope it turned out OK!

Just a thought - - Have you noticed there is a place to put spare crystals in the battery compartment of the transmitter? I always leave one in there just in case I forget my box of crystals.

-David C.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

COOL, Just went out and checked sure enought the Eclipse has a little pocket for two complete with 'pin' holes. Best part the Prism's have too! Shoot I,ve been using the Prism's since they came out, maybe eight years ago and never noticed. When I go to the competitve events though I carry around 12 to 15 spread accross the band so I gotta get my act together at the next one.

John
Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Maverick_II

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Thank you both for your helpful advice. I think I will get the Eclipse, but I don't really understand the whole Spectra Module. Can you tell me more about it. TY

Old 06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Maverick_II

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

O and also what did you guys mean about power crow mixing and dual elavator mixs? Thanks for your help

Old 06-23-2003, 07:52 PM
JohnBuckner

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Maverick what I meant by dual elevator mixing is: using two servos and channels on a split elevator and the function is sometimes called ailevator or tailerons. This provides normal pitch control but also provides differential elvator imput to increase roll rate by supplimenting the ailerons.

Glider crow refers to what happens on activation: the ailerons go down together but still function as ailerons while the separate inboard flaps reflex upward at a step angle together and sometimes elevator is included in the mix to adjust for any trim changes. The purpose is to get maximum drag for near vertical descents without excessive speed build up which makes it easier to do precision spot landings which is a portion of the score in some glider contests. In fact some times a blade type device is used to stop the glider very quickly for minimum ground slide on landing. Glider crow is avaliable on the Eclipse 7 and the Throttle channel is the master channel for the mix. Since the trottle channel is needed on a power craft, this is why the Eclipse cannot do powercrow which is essentially the same as glider crow but just take more mixing power.

John
Old 06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Maverick_II

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

O I know what you mean! Thank for the help! TY

Old 06-23-2003, 10:56 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Thank you both for your helpful advice. I think I will get the Eclipse, but I don't really understand the whole Spectra Module. Can you tell me more about it. TY

There are two little wheel shaped switches that revolve so that you can select the channel.

-David C.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:56 AM
strato911

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

...I don't really understand the whole Spectra Module. Can you tell me more about it.
Here's the link to Hitec's website to provide more info.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Accesories/spectra72.htm

Old 06-24-2003, 04:18 AM
listed

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

I have been using this radio now for 3 years and it works great. You can have several different planes programed into it and with ease change from one to another. One thing that I found with mine is if you tap the Spectra module unit I will get a glitch on my servos, so far nothing has happen in flight. If I ever have to replace it, it will be another one.

You will like it.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:40 AM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by listed
One thing that I found with mine is if you tap the Spectra module unit I will get a glitch on my servos, so far nothing has happen in flight.
Yes, the connections and the physical strength of the clips on the Spectra are a bit suspect.

I have cut a slot in the side of the housing on mine so that the channel can be changed without having to unclip the unit from the case. I have also taped the whole module in solidly.

-David C.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:20 AM
listed

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Hi David
That is a very good idea cutting holes so you can change without removing the module. I believe I will be doing this in the morning.
I do have the Velcro straps on mine to hold the module in place but maybe I will also tape it so it won't move.
Thanks for the information.
Les
Old 06-24-2003, 06:34 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Just FYI. I believe the legal requirement is that you can't change the TX frequency while the TX is on and if you mod this you will be illegal. Just a comment! I think my club members like the idea that I have to remove the module to change channels, else I could do this "covertly?".
Old 06-24-2003, 01:55 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by listed
Hi David
That is a very good idea cutting holes so you can change without removing the module. I believe I will be doing this in the morning.
I do have the Velcro straps on mine to hold the module in place but maybe I will also tape it so it won't move.
Thanks for the information.
Les
Yes, it worked a lot better than I was expecting.

The housing that surrounds the module is a double thickness, but fairly thin plastic. If you cut down to the level of the back of the casing either side of where the two rotary switches will be when the module will be mounted, then along the bottom you can remove a piece of plastic about 3/4 inch wide and expose the rotary switches. I then finished it off with a piece of tape to close the gap between the two layers of plastic.

I then black-taped the module firmly in place.

I'll try to take a pic of it and post it here.

-David C.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:03 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by 4*60
Just FYI. I believe the legal requirement is that you can't change the TX frequency while the TX is on and if you mod this you will be illegal. Just a comment! I think my club members like the idea that I have to remove the module to change channels, else I could do this "covertly?".
Interesting point.

Actually, it's almost impossible to change the channel while the transmitter is on. No more-so than removing the module when it's on, anyway. It takes some time to make the change (due to the fact that the switches are so small and it's difficult to see the markings on the faces) and, like attempting to change the module if you were flying (!) the model would have plummeted by then anyway so changing while on is extremely unlikely.

One further point is that continually removing the module to change the channel is bound to finally create a bad connection with the frail connectors, which will have the effect of making the model much more dangerous through loss of control. I know of a few times where exactly this has happened.

-David C.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:09 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by 4*60
I think my club members like the idea that I have to remove the module to change channels, else I could do this "covertly?".
I just thought of another comment!

It would be no more 'covert' to change the frequency without removing the module than having to remove it to make the change. As you know, the little rotary switches are difficult enough to read when you are making the change, let alone for an observer of your actions, so the action is pretty covert at the best of times!

-DC
Old 06-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Maverick_II

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

O.K. Well at my field we don't have the problem of frequency fighting, so I don't think it would be as helpful to me. But thanks for the advice. TY

Old 06-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Zaquron

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Does any of you guys know a way to setup a free mixer WITHOUT a switch assigned to it?
One friend of mine has asked me to help program his new Extra300 on his Eclipse and i couldn't find a way to program dual elevator.
The elvators would not do anything else but move together up and down. One of them shall be reversed due to the symmetrical layout of the aircraft.
This is possible on my really low end Graupner MC-12, so i cannot believe that this shiny new tx is not capable of this simple thing.

TIA

Zaquron
Old 06-25-2003, 03:52 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by Zaquron
Does any of you guys know a way to setup a free mixer WITHOUT a switch assigned to it?
One friend of mine has asked me to help program his new Extra300 on his Eclipse and i couldn't find a way to program dual elevator.
The elevators would not do anything else but move together up and down. One of them shall be reversed due to the symmetrical layout of the aircraft.
This is possible on my really low end Graupner MC-12, so i cannot believe that this shiny new tx is not capable of this simple thing.

TIA

Zaquron
You could mix channel 2 (elevator) with, say, channel 5 (if you aren't using retracts) in a negative relationship and plug the second elevator servo into channel 5 on the receiver, so that a movement of the elevator stick makes channel 5 work opposite to it, thus making the two elevator servos work in opposite directions.

However, you might consider using a reversing Y branch lead and using only one channel, to avoid any slight delay in the mix.

-David C.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Zaquron

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

David,

I know i can mix them but the function is assigned to a switch so it can be turned off by accident in flight. i think losing one of the elvator servos in flight is not lethal but rather annoying. I am looking for a way to setup a mixer always ON.

regards,

Zaquron
Old 06-25-2003, 05:24 PM
David Cutler

Default Hitec Eclipse 7

Originally posted by Zaquron
David,

I know i can mix them but the function is assigned to a switch so it can be turned off by accident in flight. i think losing one of the elvator servos in flight is not lethal but rather annoying. I am looking for a way to setup a mixer always ON.

regards,

Zaquron
Actually, I think the situation is even worse than you thought. I reckon channel 5 would mix OK with, say channel 2 when the channel 5 switch is 'off'. It's when you turn it 'on' that you would find problems as that side of the elevator goes to the full travel!!

Let's see .. channels 1-4 are already in use, so the only ones you have to play with are 5, 6 and 7, all of which have switches assigned to them.

All I can suggest is you either contact Mike in the Hitec forum here, who might be able to tell you how to de-assign switches, or take the knob off channel 7 switch and use that channel!

-DC