Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie requesting radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:05 PM
robbidog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie requesting radio advice

Hi,
my son and I have decided to give RC flying a try. With the advent of light and powerful electric motors, RC flying now seems to be less daunting then back in the day when glow was the only way to fly.

Our "flight development plan" is to start off with a slow flyer like a Wingo or Sky Scooter, work our way up to a more acrobatic plane such as the Fatty Sparrow and then some more demanding models as our skills increase.

Choosing a plane is relatively simple if you're a newbie, but choosing a radio leaves me absolutely dazed and confused. The only thing I've been able to determine so far is that I'd be best to choose at least a 4-Channel radio as my initial controller rather then the simple 3-channel radios suggested for entry level flyers. I want a radio that I can continue to use as my abilities increase, preferably one that wouldn't be useless should I decide to use it with more complex models.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good entry level radio? Am I wrong in deciding to start off with a more complex radio?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as radios go, I always say get the best you can afford, it can last up to 20 years at times and you can grow into it. I just got rid of a 15 year old one because I upgraded it. I would have kept it but the new 9CHP is so nice. I had to have one. You don't need to go huge, but get at least 4 ch and 6 is better. I like futaba personally, but go to the field you will fly at and see what others have and get one you can hook up and buddy with others to learn on. good way to go.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 PM
CP140

Where will you be flying? Why don't you come out some weekend and introduce yourself... mind you, each of the "guys" you ask will have their own opinion... you could also go and talk to Dean at Norburn Hobbies....they do a fair bit of electric stuff there... but who knows, after you've caught the scent of burning castor, you may get hooked on glow!

www.wcrcaf.com
www.norburnrc.com
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 AM
tony55738

Default radio question

Looking for a radio can sometimes be a daunting task, however, if you are wanting something that can grow as you grow I would recommend a computer radio....Futaba has a new radio out that would be great for the beginner, it is easy to program and can expand as your skills expand, also it has 6 model memory so you can use the same radio for several airplanes. It has many features for advanced flying and good directions. For a price under 180.00 I think it's a great deal too! If you want to see the features and explanations, go to futaba-rc.com and look for the "new" 6EXA, 6 channel radio.
I have been using Futaba for almost 17 years now so I speak with some experience I would strongly recommend that you buy a computer radio just for the features, and that price is not far off of some 4 channel non-computer radios. Also, I noticed that when you were mentioning planes you mentioned park fliers. Just remember that they don't fly well in windy conditions, usually 5 mph or less is ideal. Also, remember that there are some bigger models that are trainer aircraft that would be great for the beginner. Keep an eye out and think about the kind of flying that you want to do. If all else fails find your nearest flying field and talk to the pilots there, they will be more than happy to help you out. Hope this helps
Tony