Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

longer range with radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
alexedit
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longer range with radio

Hi Guys - Is there a simple way to get at least an extra mile using your radio?

what if I make the receiver cable longer? if I make it twice as long?
and for the radio if I attach a long cable on the antenna.

any ideas
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: longer range with radio

If you want more range you need more signal power, playing with aerial lengths might reduce, rather than increase range, and how are you going to see the thing anyway? Range is limited by visual acuity, and the normal radio range is lots more than you can use with unaided eyesight.
Evan.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
alexedit
Banned

I have the rest figured out. I just want to find out an easy way to get at least twice the distance I get now.

thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 PM
exeter_acres

What radio are you currently using....

most quality radios have a range farther than you can see........
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
alexedit
Banned

I have a Futaba 6EX - I want to get at least two miles
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 PM
exeter_acres

You cannot see the airframe at that distance....

but the radio should already do that...assuming there are no obstructions....

Me thinks you are attempting a UAV of some sort.........
Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
alexedit
Banned

yes it's a UAV. I just want to keep this thread focused on longer distance radio
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are obviously unsophisticated in basic RF theory.

You have no business attempting a UAV.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 PM
alexedit
Banned

oh my god....i tried so hard to keep it focused by not giving extra information and dumbing it down as much as possible, but it's just impossible.
I have a UAV, in fact it's about the only type of flying I do, the other being banner towing.
I know where to buy equipment to get long ranger range with my radio, and I am aware of what it takes.
I just posted a simple question to see if anyone else has tried a CHEAP, super simple way of getting a little longer range. nothing fancy, or sophisticated, just simple DYI one hour project to maybe gain a couple hundred meters....trying to see if anyone has tried something.
I am aware of the sophisticated expensive ways....you know what...Dude you have no idea what I do or who I am to say I have no business "attempting"....

wow...i've never experience people like this in real life.!! amazing! - like it or not i fly my UAV 3 to 4 times a week.

TO EVERYONE - if you don't know, or haven't tried anything, just don't respond...i am not interested in opinions or lessons of how RC works. Please just refer to the SIMPLE question.

thank you
Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Receiver antenna length is based on the wave length of the frequency you are transmitting on. 72 mhz, for instance, needs to be 39" I think. Changing the length does nothing but REDUCE range. To increase range, you need to increase signal strength. However, the maximum power we can legally use is 4 watts, as I recall. Perhaps someone can chime in with more details.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Receiver antenna length is based on the wave length of the frequency you are transmitting on. 72 mhz, for instance, needs to be 39'' I think. Changing the length does nothing but REDUCE range. To increase range, you need to increase signal strength. However, the maximum power we can legally use is 4 watts, as I recall. Perhaps someone can chime in with more details.
I believe your correct on the wattage, and the way to increase range is to increase power from the transmitter, BUT be for warned, the FCC can and will get very anal about this, trust me, once you get above 5 watts, you need a license, guys in a white van with a large antenna on top will knock at your door, been there done that, too expensive, lesson learned, the hard way. current fine is $2500 plus forfeiture of equipment, mine was $1000 plus forfeiture
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
jooNorway

Some of my friends have increased range by making length to their RX-antennas, to appr 2,5 meter total.
An other good way to increase range is to get the TX-antenna higher. Lets say 7-8 meter above ground.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:29 PM
el_xero

I'm totally with you on that, really don't like it when people do that. I don't know though sorry about responding
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Me thinks you are attempting a UAV of some sort.........
he keeps asking about extending flight time and range, if i'm not misaken. he's also asked about flying a plane with a wireless camera and about video cameras for his plane
ME thinks he's found a nudist colony he wants to send a spy plane over
Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
KW_Counter

Ram-3500,
You are partially correct. The antenna length is based on the frequency.
If you extend the length of the antenna and keep its lenght in ratio with
the wavelength you will increase its sensitivity.
Not sure if it will be enough to accomplish the goal.
Many other factors come into play, especially what is between the xmtr and rcvr.
A lot of experimentation needs to be done here.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM
alexedit
Banned

If I wanted to go to a nudist place, I'd just go to Haulover beach about 15 minutes from my house.
Flight time is not an issue. I extended my flight to 32 minutes.
As for distance I just came back from flying and doing some tests. I got t 892 meters in altitude. man...clouds are shaky inside!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Ram-3500,
You are partially correct. The antenna length is based on the frequency.
If you extend the length of the antenna and keep its lenght in ratio with
the wavelength you will increase its sensitivity.
Not sure if it will be enough to accomplish the goal.
Many other factors come into play, especially what is between the xmtr and rcvr.
A lot of experimentation needs to be done here.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Thanks for the added facts. I'm no expert on this, but my Uncle is. He has tried to explain some of this to me in the past. I'm still learning. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 AM
tryan02

I do not think your covered by AMA once you can not see your craft and like said before not only FCC and power but homeland security also will knock on your door when purchasing uav supplies. That being said adding more power to your radio is not to hard just need another volt or two of dc in the RF amp amplifier's use +/- voltage the swing from positive to negative is the amplitude of the signal so more volts more amplitude more power. As far as frequency 984/frequency in MHz=wavelength in feet. Most broadcast RX or TX will use 1/4 to 1/2 wave 984/72=13.6667/4(1/4 wave)=3.416x12 (for inches)=41inches so doubling it to half wave will help on the TX. Then you can also position the antennas TX and RX to be perfectly parallel to each other. Then there is also the addition of reflectors but that will narrow your broadcast path.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

AMA rules state that first person POV devices on radio control aircraft must be done by 2 people on a buddy box system, one of which must maintain visual contact of the aircraft at all times. The plane weight cannot exceed 10 lbs or speed in excess of 60mph. These are of course AMA rules and you may be operating outside of these parameters and without the umbrella of the AMA. I'm sure you are having a tremendous time but unfortunately you are flying in a potentially dangerous manner (how did you find out you needed more range? Did you lose contact with the ship at different times?) You actions may bring about some attention from your local FBI CTU as they are very curious about this hobby we have. NOt at all saying you are involved in any suspicious endeavors and I'm certain there are other people working with UAVs across this country, but I have read about other people that have popped up on the CTUs "radar screen" before. Oh and by the way, this is an open forum, people will post just about anything they feel or think, probably not a cool thing to tell people what or what not to post. If you don't like what they say Just skip over it or block them if they really bug you.

"TO EVERYONE - if you don't know, or haven't tried anything, just don't respond...i am not interested in opinions or lessons of how RC works. Please just refer to the SIMPLE question."
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

If your an AMA member maybe you should read #10 in the Radio Control section of the AMA Safety Code.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:35 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: alexedit
TO EVERYONE - if you don't know, or haven't tried anything, just don't respond...i am not interested in opinions or lessons of how RC works. Please just refer to the SIMPLE question.
The short, simple, answer to the original question is "No, there is not an easy or cheap way to do it."
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM
tryan02

The short, simple, answer to the original question is "No, there is not an easy or cheap way to do it."
Yes you can we use an monopole antenna on our TX. A reflector will give the effect of a much higher gain in one direction known as an ERP. I have not done it in RC but it is a common practice in transmission of all frequencies.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My problem with this person wanting more range is that he has violated the guidelines as put forth by the AMA and the FAA. No one should offer any assistance to him, as he put our hobby at risk.

As for distance I just came back from flying and doing some tests. I got t 892 meters in altitude. man...clouds are shaky inside!
If you are in the clouds, then you are not following the model by a second person on the primary transmitter. That is an altitude of nearly 3000 feet.

Further here is a picture he has posted. Notice the jet on approach to Fort Lauderdale International.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20627.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1235910  
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

And I hate to say it, but this is EXACTLY on example of the reasons teh FAA is now working up new sUAS regulations. Regulations which will have an impact on our enjoyment of this hobby.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

I think this is the same guy who just wanted to learn to fly, but not to land.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.