Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR S400... Adding channels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR S400... Adding channels?

Alright, so I"ve got my S400 and it works great and I love it. Hopwever, it seems that there are 'blank' spaces on the main circuit board where more components could be added. There seem to be provisions for up to 6 channels.

What I want to know is if it is possible to add the right components in the right spots and use these "extra channels". I'm quite skilled at soldering tiny things; that's not an issue. I just want to know if anyone's done it before and if so, how? I just don't want to go sticking things in there because I'll inevitably fry it......

Anyone? I appreciate your help....
Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
GaryBarry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: JR S400... Adding channels?

I have seen this done on other websites, so I am sure that its possible. I have seen someone use only the sticks, casing and module of a cheap transmitter and then use other components, using a computer to set it up, so I am sure what yiu suggest is feasible; I would also likew to try it. Will try and find the relevant site for you.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 AM
GaryBarry

Ok I have found a site that does exactly as you say except using a Futaba skysport 4. Im not sure how different the encoder is on a JR or Jline radio, so I guess you would have to modify these instructions a bit. Anyone know how to do this with a JLine quattro? Here is the link;
https://ntxbg.org/_Main/?page_name=K...d=10&printer=1
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
carrellh

It is possible that modifying a transmitter could void its FCC Type Acceptance which would make it illegal to use in the US. Just because a web site shows how to do it does not mean it is OK to do so.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
GaryBarry

Ok, sure, but I am in South Africa so not sure what the rules are about that sort of thing. For interests sake then, does anybody know what type of encoder these transmitters use? If I know this then I would be able to modify the transmitter.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: GaryBarry
Ok, sure, but I am in South Africa so not sure what the rules are about that sort of thing. For interests sake then, does anybody know what type of encoder these transmitters use? If I know this then I would be able to modify the transmitter.
The original question came from Minnesota. The manufacturers give out very little technical info on their systems. Legal or not, they do not want people working on their own stuff.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
smaner
My Feedback: (29)

FCC Regs only pertain to frequency and band wideth and type of transmisssion. Not number of channels a radio has...
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Smaner's right. Carrell, if they don't want us working on their stuff why do they use the same boards in different radio models? If you ask me, that's like a friggin' invitation My warranty's been void for a long time now.....

As for legal issues, the police haven't gotten me yet for flying an 80mph jet in a park near an airport, so who's to say they'll be looking at my radio's guts anytime soon?

I've found out some more stuff about the mod potential of my S400, and I may start the actual soldering pretty soon....
Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 AM
GaryBarry

I agree....I bought the radio......surely I can do what I want with it?................including making it into some sort of decoration if I see fit?..........Anyway Teenage Pilot please keep me posted, you have got me onto the idea and I am trying to research how to do it myself with my Jline quattro. If you manage this please show me how! It seems as simple as (beware that statement!) adding a few swtiches and ungrounding the necessary inputs of the encoder. refer to this link;
http://www.rchelibase.com/radio/page10.html
and
http://www.rchelibase.com/radio/page11.html
in fact, I would recomend the whole site.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS long as you dont mess with the RF side of the board you should be OK; you only need to mess with the encoder side.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Teenage Pilot 14
Smaner's right. Carrell, if they don't want us working on their stuff why do they use the same boards in different radio models? If you ask me, that's like a friggin' invitation
No, they do it to keep manufacturing cost down.