Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tower Pro MG995 Servos

Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Pro MG995 Servos

MG995 Servos

Here are the facts as they relate to four servos I purchased through this web site. I tested all four on the bench and three out of the four seemed to check out OK. However one of them would not center properly. It would continually overshoot.

In order to see how the servos would perform in the air I installed one of them as a throttle servo in a 40 cc gas powered plane. Two flights went well, but on the third flight the servo jammed in the full throttle position. If I wouldn’t have installed a kill switch I would have spent 40 minutes chasing a plane around the sky. If the servo had been installed on the elevator or aileron the result would have been the loss of a $1500 airplane. More importantly, loss of control on planes of this size can lead to property damage, serious injury or even death. Who is liable? The owner of the plane.

Two out of four defective servos is not good quality control and it is obvious that these servos will not withstand the rigors of large gas engine airplanes. Good quality control levels emphasize number of defectives per million – not two out of four.

To suggest that I take my complaint to Tower Pro is a joke. They have no tech reps in the states so the re-sellers become the de facto representatives.

My point is this: to advertise that these servos are for use in model airplanes and helicopters is false and misleading. The poor quality makes them unsuitable for these applications. If my opinion prevents the loss of one airplane or injury, the so be it.

See also: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/mg995review2.shtml

Also: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/chineseservos1.shtml

Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Pro MG995 Servos

Yep, those of us "in the know" have already put these servos in the 'junk' list. There has been plenty of documentation like yours to support these sevos to be banned for aircraft use. Thanks for showing us some 'real world' results and I'm glad that you didn't lose your plane. Unfortunately, there will still be way too many new guys looking for a bargain that will risk their planes and everyone elses safety to these servos just to save a few bucks.