Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8U 2.4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM
NCBrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8U 2.4 Conversion

I wanted to convert my Futaba 8U to 2.4GHz and decided upon Spektrum as the brand I wanted to go to. In order to facilitate a slow (affordable) conversion of all my receivers I picked up another TX on ebay for $50 and put the Spektrum module in it. This way I can keep two TX's and switch between them depending on which model I want to fly. A campac allows me to move model programming from one TX to the other.

Not liking the way that the antenna cable is routed on the outside with this module, I made some modifications. I routed the cable through the case, and moved the connector so that it doesn't protude from the rear.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74909.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1238421  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 8U 2.4 Conversion

pretty nice conversion - I know what you mean about the connector out the back.

I did a JR9303 conversion, and ended up buying a replacement antenna from either an e-flite or spektrum tx, and opened up the module, connected to the board inside through a hole in the TX and in the module, so the cable is inside the transmitter. The cable is all inside the TX now, which makes the module non-removable, but I like it better than I did when the cable was sticking out the back.

Good idea on the campac and the 2nd TX, too - it's nice you can move stuff back and forth that easily!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
NeveSSL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8U 2.4 Conversion

How has this worked out for you, now that you've had some time with it?

Are you still using the Spektrum? Did you have any brown out issues some have had?

Thanks!

Brandon