Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 12X LCD scratch removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR 12X LCD scratch removal?

I have a JR 12X and I usually wipe it down after flying to get all of the fuel and grime off of it. I just noticed that I now have some fine scratches on the clear faceplate of the LCD. Does anyone have a way to remove the scratches and/or has anyone sent in their 12X TX to HH to have the LCD faceplate replaced - if so do you remember the cost? Thanks - lesson learned.

Howard
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
JetCatJimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 12X LCD scratch removal?

I know that polishing compound or 'Scratch Remover' from your local auto parts supply shop works great at removing scratches from my canopies. I had overspray on one canopy and used Scratch Remover. It's a little yellow bottle and looks like liquid wax material. It got it back to a perfect finish. Takes elbow grease, but what doesn't these days.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
bruce88123

Haven't tried it myself but that stuff they are advertising to rejuvenate plastic headlight lenses may do the trick. It worked on my headlights.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM
onewasp

Can't give you a 100% scratch removal procedure but here is the "FIX" for it happening again:

http://www.rcscreenprotectors.com/

I have used them and they work!!! A little 'fussy' to get on but once done you can say good bye to lens scratches.

In the Navy we used progressively finer compounds to take the scratches out of canopies. Whatever you choose pick a small 'test' spot first. It can be done but it'll take some time and patience.
We would finish up the canopies by buffing with the bare palm of our hands. You would be surprised at just how fine that abrasive is.
No, I'm not kidding.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
JetCatJimmy

ORIGINAL: onewasp

We would finish up the canopies by buffing with the bare palm of our hands. You would be surprised at just how fine that abrasive is.
No, I'm not kidding.
Holy cow!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
bruce88123

We still use it onewasp - Micro Mesh http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/aircraft_kits.htm has paper going down to 6000 grit and polishes past that. Of course aircraft canopy and window acrylics are harder than RC TX plastics.
How about 12,000 grit? http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmao_sheets.htm
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Howard

Ijust ordered the screen protectors and plan to stop by the autoparts store on the way back from the field to see if they carry scratch remover material. I had not thought about just using my finger instead of a rag so I will certainly try that. Very helpful folks and much appreciated.

Howard
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM
onewasp

Skip the Automotive store and head to a good Motorcycle Shop.
They deal with scratches on plastic fairings and wind screens all the time.

Consequently they have a choice of materials to sell for the purpose.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
pilotpete2

Howard,
You may just well not need to do anything other than install the screen protector. One of our members put one on here screen after it got a few light scratches. Scratches? what scratches[8D]
Pete
Old 08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Howard

I have a JR 12X and I usually wipe it down after flying to get all of the fuel and grime off of it. I just noticed that I now have some fine scratches on the clear faceplate of the LCD. . . .
Are you certain that you scratch the actural LCDscreen and not just the plastic film they use for a protective cover? Either way, I can also endorse recscreenprotectors.

Allan
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Can't give you a 100% scratch removal procedure but here is the ''FIX'' for it happening again:

I have used them and they work!!! A little 'fussy' to get on but once done you can say good bye to lens scratches.

In the Navy we used progressively finer compounds to take the scratches out of canopies. Whatever you choose pick a small 'test' spot first. It can be done but it'll take some time and patience.
No, I'm not kidding.
A couple of years ago when I bought my JR X9303, I cleaned the screen with something that left it a bit milky and very lightly scratched. Bought one of these covers and it was just as new. The cover has been there since and the screen continues to look as if nothing happened. You do need to "really" make sure your screen is clean before applying the cover. Otherwise, any dust or dirt will show. But I highly recommend it.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Howard

Good Conclusion:

First - thanks for all of the ideas. The suggestion to go to a motorcycle shop was perfect except that I did not get it until I got back from flying and had already stopped at the auto parts store - in my case an Auto Zone. I stopped in and asked for something that would take scratches out of plexiglas and such and was told they don't have anything and just as I was on my way out he said he might have an idea and grabbed a bottle of Meguiar's "PlastX" which is a "clear plastic cleaner and polish" in a squeeze bottle which cost me $7.70. When I got home and read the whole label it seemed to be perfect for the task (it would also be perfect to get scratches out of canopies). The contents are pure white and about twice as thick as condensed milk. I used a combination of the end of my little finger and and a very soft dish towel and began working on the overall scratches and specific scratches. The results were better than I had hoped for - essentially the scratches are gone. I also ordered the screen protectors from rcscreenprotectors and they should be here soon and will go in place immediately. Problem solved - thank you folks.

Howard
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
jcccc

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9370

Cheap solution.

jc
Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
JetCatJimmy

ORIGINAL: jcccc

Cheap solution.

jc
You could certainly make your own covers, but I don't think that is really necessary considering there are companies that already do this for you.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
jcccc

[quote]ORIGINAL: JetCatJimmy

ORIGINAL: jcccc

Cheap solution.

jc
You could certainly make your own covers, but I don't think that is really necessary considering there are companies that already do this for you.
[/quo

I'm not saying it is necessary....I just offered a cheaper alternative.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Howard

Thought I would bring this thread up to date to let you know that I received the screen protectors from RCScreenprotectors.com and just as each of you had indicated - looks like a brand new screen. From this day forward any new radio will have that added immediately after I get it.

Howard
Old 12-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Mark Bartley

Originally Posted by onewasp
Can't give you a 100% scratch removal procedure but here is the "FIX" for it happening again:

Thanks for the link! (I know, it's an old thread)
Ordered some today.