Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

My Airtronics RDS8000 is Dead - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Airtronics RDS8000 is Dead - AGAIN!

My RDS8000 is dead again. This time it is the rudder gimble. Some plastic part broke on it and the rudder is hard over. I had just set my plane up and turned on the radio and the rudder went hard over and wouldn't move from there.

The first time my radio broke Global Services fixed it for free (less my $14 shipping of course) and got it back to me in a timely manner. I love this radio (simplicity, feel and never a glitch) but the reliability is starting to concern me! Anyone else had a gimble break on you?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
RCGeckoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Airtronics RDS8000 is Dead - AGAIN!

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

My RDS8000 is dead again. This time it is the rudder gimble. Some plastic part broke on it and the rudder is hard over. I had just set my plane up and turned on the radio and the rudder went hard over and wouldn't move from there.

The first time my radio broke Global Services fixed it for free (less my $14 shipping of course) and got it back to me in a timely manner. I love this radio (simplicity, feel and never a glitch) but the reliability is starting to concern me! Anyone else had a gimble break on you?
Is it definitely the gimbal?? Mine broke in a similar manner but it was the centre wire on the rudder pot. I resoldered that and life is good once more.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:18 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: RCGeckoman

Is it definitely the gimbal?? Mine broke in a similar manner but it was the centre wire on the rudder pot. I resoldered that and life is good once more.
No, a small plastic piece of the gimbal broke that holds it on axis. I should have taken a pic before I boxed it up and sent it to the post office. Glad it didn't happen in the air. That would have sucked!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
RCGeckoman

ORIGINAL: RCGeckoman

No, a small plastic piece of the gimbal broke that holds it on axis. I should have taken a pic before I boxed it up and sent it to the post office. Glad it didn't happen in the air. That would have sucked!
yup....I lost three planes to 'pilot error' before I realized it was the radio...it failed on the ground when I checked the controls..had just landed one plane thankfully!!! But finding the wire broken brought new light to three unexplained crashes that resulted from the planes going into a tight spin for no apparent reason...I thought that is was ME, glad to find out it might not have been.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These gimbals are kind of fragile, but I bet you must have inadvertently hit the stick too hard or something. I have an RD6000 (same basic case) and one day I had it standing upright on a table then accidentally knocked it forward and one of the gimbals just broke in several pieces. Luckily, it was still under warranty. That is why I am extra careful when handling my RDS8000.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I got eighteen months of heavy usage in with my first RDS8000, and finally a couple of weeks ago the antenna broke.

I have two of the RDS8000 radios, and I use the second as a buddy box and backup transmitter. It's sweet having all of your planes programmed into both radios identically. When I go to buddy box a student on one of my plnaes, it's already trimmed perfectly. All I had to do when the antenna broke was to rebind my airplanes to the backup transmitter, and I was good to go again.

No matter what brand of transmitter you're flying, you should always keep a spare.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I got eighteen months of heavy usage in with my first RDS8000, and finally a couple of weeks ago the antenna broke.

I have two of the RDS8000 radios, and I use the second as a buddy box and backup transmitter. It's sweet having all of your planes programmed into both radios identically. When I go to buddy box a student on one of my plnaes, it's already trimmed perfectly. All I had to do when the antenna broke was to rebind my airplanes to the backup transmitter, and I was good to go again.

No matter what brand of transmitter you're flying, you should always keep a spare.
Yea, I have a spare and it is programmed identically so I'll be flying next weekend. I snagged a new one off of Ebay for $61. Hard to beat that deal!