Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Digital servos on 6 volts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 11:40 PM
cgb6810
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servos on 6 volts

Im using digitals for the first time, Futaba 9252's on elevator and a multiplex Jumbo on the rudder. I installed 2-MPI miracle switches with voltage regulators with the intent of using 2-5 cell packs. When I run the 5 cell pack I get jitters with the 9252's and the Jumbo won't even work. If I run a 4 cell pack both servos work fine? I thought the regulated switch would handle any high voltage problem?

I don't have a problem using 4 cells but wonder if this is the norm for the digitals.

Thanks for your response.
Chris
Old 03-30-2002, 01:58 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's a "high voltage problem", I think it's a voltage regulator problem, or your transmitter is being held too close to you reciever.

Did you try it without a voltage regulator switch? All of the newer digitals that I know of are designed to work at 6v. Putting in a voltage regulator will only reduce your servo toque & speed.

None, Nada, Zero of the last TOC pilots used voltage regulators, and they all ran 6 volts. (Nicads or Duralites) Try it you might like it. Don't be fooled by the switch manufactures advertisements.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:00 PM
cgb6810
My Feedback: (4)

Default digitals on 6 volts

Yep, I tried it with and without a switch. I tried using the MPI unregulated switch. Keep in mind I'm running 2 switches and I tried both. Anytime I run the 5 cell pack I have problems. Less with the Futaba(just gittery at full throw) but the Multiplex will not work at all on the 5 cell pack.

Chris
Old 03-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooooh, somthing doesn't sound right. How old is your receiver, and what kind is it?. I don't have any experience with Multiplex, But I would certainly think that they would work at 6 volts.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:23 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Default Regulators?

Here's my experience- since the JR 8411's and 8231's have come out...they do NOT like the FULL charge on a 5 cell pack. Neither did the regulators that I used clean it up enough. Going to 4 cell packs cleaned up things on my planes! I know what various manf and switch/regulator manf say, but - my "digital experience" says "Use a 4 cell pack"....and I have, and things are LOTS better. PPM or PCM, PCM rx or PPM rx, no differences when running the 5 cells...they all ran better on the 4 cell.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:26 PM
goatnick
My Feedback: (11)

Chris,
Just give MPI a call and ask for Jarvis.I had the same problem as you and found that they had gotten some bad regulators.I was using Hi Tech 5945 Dig. a 2700 NiMh 5 cell pack and the regulator, turning the radio on the servos would lock in a down position,With a 4cell pack all was normal.I even sent Radio in for check up.If you are flying Futaba gear dont even use a regulator,something else to go wrong.Hope this helps Bob
Old 04-01-2002, 04:12 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Been using the 8411, 8231, 8401, 368, 3421, 2401, 361.....all digital JR servo's with the 6 volt+ duralite....950S AND 940s receivers, with out problems.......the only one that give a lot of problem are the 7005 they jump quite abit at full charge.

Daniel D.