Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

comparing range checks, your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comparing range checks, your thoughts please.

I posted this in another area but I think this is a better place as radio experts are here.

I've noticed while range checking 72mh radios at the field, brands of radios vary quite a bit. Without mentioning brand name of the radio, I'm wondering if range check actually says any thing about the radio after the antenna is pulled out? My observation isn't from one or 2 planes but several different planes, at different times.

Maybe it is easier to put it like this:

Radio Brand "A" seems to have a range check of about 75 feet on the ground before servos start quivering or stop working.
Radio Brand "B" range checks 100 to 125 feet on the ground before servos quiver or stop working.
Radio Brand "C" Stopped walking at 125+ feet on the ground. No quivering at all. 1500+ ft. in the air with antenna down.(forgot to put antenna up)

My question. Since radio "C" still controlled the plane at that distance (in the air), once the antenna is pulled out, does that mean that radio "C" will have a stronger/better radio signal over radios "A" and "B"?

My thought is radio "C" would be a better radio signal to have.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
rcacro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: comparing range checks, your thoughts please.

Differences in the range check distance on the ground is not an indication that one brand of radio s better than another This is because of differences in the amount of radiated energy with the antenna collapsed. At least one brand recommends that the antenna be completly removed for the range check. Other factors effecting radio range are differences in circuit design and the physical layout of the transmitter case . Range can also be effected by the layout of the receiver installation in a model.
If the system passes the range check using the procedures recommend by the manufacturer there is a very high probability that the model can be controlled at a greater distance that it can be seen.

John W.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: comparing range checks, your thoughts please.

ORIGINAL: tewitt1949 I posted this in another area but I think this is a better place as radio experts are here. I've noticed while range checking 72mh radios at the field, brands of radios vary quite a bit. Without mentioning brand name of the radio, I'm wondering if range check actually says any thing about the radio after the antenna is pulled out? My observation isn't from one or 2 planes but several different planes, at different times. Maybe it is easier to put it like this:
Radio Brand "A" seems to have a range check of about 75 feet on the ground before servos start quivering or stop working.
Radio Brand "B" range checks 100 to 125 feet on the ground before servos quiver or stop working.
Radio Brand "C" Stopped walking at 125+ feet on the ground. No quivering at all. 1500+ ft. in the air with antenna down.(forgot to put antenna up)
My question. Since radio "C" still controlled the plane at that distance (in the air), once the antenna is pulled out, does that mean that radio "C" will have a stronger/better radio signal over radios "A" and "B"?
My thought is radio "C" would be a better radio signal to have.
The same transmitters, receivers and servos installed in a different airframe may display widely differing results. Also the design of the TX has an effect on range check, e.g. the old Futaba FF7 had to have the antenna base length pulled out until it clicked into place, not tested with antenna fully retracted otherwise it was partiallyshielded. An aircraft recently crashed at end of a shortrunwayafter an FF8 user had forgotten to extend antenna whereas a Hitec Flash5SX has beenseen to fly aircraft almost full range with the antenna at lowest position.
Always be guided by what the respective TXmanual says is therange check distance for that TX and do not fly if that distance is not achieved with motor running if a powered model. Further information relating to different brands isavailable under
"See also sub Section "Range check and Range problem solving " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web LinksRegards
Alan T.