Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

N00b Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
R0bBeckett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N00b Radio Question

I'm just starting in RC. I have a friend who has already been in the hobby for years and he will let me use one of his trainer planes and help me out. My question is I plan on flying Heli's one day as well.If I buy a Spektrum DX7. Do I buy an Air model or a Heli one? I know both can fly either with minor differences. But which one would you buy if just starting out?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: N00b Radio Question

Heli version....[sm=thumbup.gif]

I fly mostly planks but got talked into trying the heli version with the smooth throttle installed, since those radios come with the other throttle friction piece I figured I could change it to the ratchet if I didn't like it.

Every radio I've bought since has had the smooth throttle.

The other reason is I liked the minor differences in switch type, labeling and location on the heli version which works just fine for planks, and since I only have one heli I can't say for sure, but most heli flyers will tell you that those minor differences in the switches are really useful.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM
R0bBeckett

Thank you. Searching these forums I had only seen one other person answer this. His answer was the same but he was a Heli guy or seemed to be in any case.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

It's the same for me. I fly planes but got into Heli's for a short while and the 9C I bought was the Heli version. I liked the feel enough that any radio I buy now is the Heli version. I've also found that many retailers might be sold out of the airplane version, but have the Heli version of a radio in stock.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

I took the back off to replace a blown fuse and there's a simple metal strap across a toothed wheel on the throttle. Didn't mess with it, but it looked very adjustable or even removable.

Regards
Michael
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
R0bBeckett

Thanks again guys.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Have you considered the Airtronics RDS8000? Its an 8 channel 2.4 system that is switchable between Aero and Heli modes. And its a lot less expensive than a Spectrum. Hobby People runs sales on this radio often for $149.95 for a no servo system.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

it depends........remember sometimes you will count how many "clicks" you need to land your airplane, thats helps a lot!!!. On the heli it doesnt matter.

I did have a 7C heli radio but i changed to 10CG airplane version...cause was really a pain land my gasser without idea of where was my stick position on the radio. As i said.........it depends of what will you fly.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
R0bBeckett

ORIGINAL: tigrejohn

Have you considered the Airtronics RDS8000? Its an 8 channel 2.4 system that is switchable between Aero and Heli modes. And its a lot less expensive than a Spectrum. Hobby People runs sales on this radio often for $149.95 for a no servo system.
To start I have a friend who is into RC. He's been doing in a long time and he said buy a Spectrum. I don't want to start out not following his advice since he has offered to help me. After I'm comfortable I may well move on to some other brand.

f5air The clicks is one of my concerns. I may if I enjoy the hobby enough buy a second radio. I just didn't want to buy one that I felt I would have to upgrade/replace in a few weeks/months.

Thanks,

Guys
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about the issue mentioned by f5air....

There are a couple of considerations here that have to do with low end throttle response, throttle cut capability, throttle trim, stick position etc.

Futaba has a digital trim on the throttle where Spektrum/JR has an analog throttle trim, they also don't have the native throttle cut mix found on Futaba radios. I found that to be a distraction when I made the move as I used to click my throttle trim up three beeps on my Futaba radios before I took off with the glow models and then down three beeps to land. Worked pretty well on the glow models, but not nearly as well on the gassers as they are VERY sensitive coming off idle with the majority of the engine's power being produced before the throttle butterfly is half open.

My solution is something a lot of the GS guys use on the gassers; setup a flight idle mix which kicks up the RPM by a few hundred and assign a switch. Then you just flip the switch before takeoff and flip it again to land, gives you a consistent idle RPM and you don't have to worry about it quitting in flight. So even on my glow models, I set the idle RPM via the servo travel limits and never touch the throttle trim. Same thing on the throttle cut, Futaba has one built in mix for that but you can do the same thing with a throttle/throttle mix on the Spektrum/JR radios.

As for the ratchet; one thing that really bugged me on the gassers was the tendency of the radio to come just off the bottom of the stick travel when retarded due to the ratchet teeth. There are some folks who open up the radio and try to move the piece with the teeth on it to a point where it lines up with the bottom of the throttle travel. Futaba told me there was nothing I could do about the problem with my 9Z WCII radio, which really kind of puzzled me as that was Futaba's flagship radio for a number of years but I didn't know about moving the friction piece and they didn't tell me. Biggest issue I had with the smooth throttle was not getting enough tension on it initially and I really didn't like it until someone told me to try cranking up the stick tensions, that solved the weird feel and there's no issue with the stick staying at the bottom of it's travel either.

A lot of this information won't affect you just starting out, but if you keep playing with RC models you'll find out there are things like this which might make you wish you'd done more research before deciding on either a product or method of accomplishing an end.

While I wholeheartedly support a decision to go with the Spektrum/JR radios and that's what I fly, there are other systems available whose users are just as convinced their choice was the right one as I am. I would suggest that perhaps you might want to go hold the radios in your hands, got an LHS nearby who stocks them? Sometimes it can boil down to how a radio feels in your hands.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I fly everything I own (helis, aerobatic gassers, sail planes, jets, whatever) on a 9303 heli radio. Every planker thats tried flying with my radio has loved it on planes.

Don't worry about the clicks, every landing approach is different depending on the wind so counting clicks is pointless, you'll get a feel for how much power it needs.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
R0bBeckett

Thank you both.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll do just fine with the heli radio but there is one other very minor thing to consider. There are a ton of DX-7's at the Fresno field; I usually use one myself. Most are airplane versions. The other day a guy asked me to help him set up flaps on his DX-7. His switches were different than mine. I got a little confused for a second before I realized he had the heli version. We went on to do the set up OK but now his flaps are on a different switch than just about everyone else. That won't affect his flying one bit of course but if he ever has to pass the transmitter to someone else in an emergency situation, there could be some confusion.

It isn't a huge deal of course but it is one more variable to consider.

I'd also give the Futaba a long, hard look. I like my Spektrum but I may switch back when it is time to upgrade again. No specific, firm reason; I just like Futabas for some reason. Maybe it is the way they feel holding them, the layout, or whatever. Not sure.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 AM
R0bBeckett

Thank you Chuck. I will keep this in mind.