Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Occasional RF Interference @ our field

Old 07-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional RF Interference @ our field

Monday morning we had three pilots at our field, our channels were 17, 50, & 34. I noticed a wave of glitches came over my plane as I was working on a balky engine. A few minutes later the same thing happened to the plane on channel 50. We quickly went in to a routine of turning transmitters on and off to see if any of our equipment was at fault and found nothing changed and all three planes were glitching badly. Then, as suddenly as it appeared it all went away and it didn't reappear in the next hour that we were there. Luckily, we were all having problems and no planes were in the air. It was suggested that a passing CB with a big kicker could have done it but the traffic on the highway (1/4 mile away) was sparse and moving fast enough that it shouldn't have lasted as long as it did. I did a drive by of all the houses within a couple of miles and saw no big antennas sticking up. So what was it? And how can we find it if it is intermittent? We have lost a couple of planes in the last 3 years that had no reason to roll over and dive. I am thinking a recording scanner that could tell us time and date might help us determine if there is a pattern here but I know of no such device.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had a new pilot who whated to take his plane up last weekend and the same thing happened. Since there were people flying on both sides of his channel, we decided to not try it and play safe.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:44 AM
KJohn

See if you can locate a ham radio club in your area. They might be registered with the local sheriff's office in case emergencies arise when extra communications facilities are needed. Some of the new ham transceivers have 'panoramic' viewers that show activity around a given frequency of interest. Maybe they can dial in your R/C frequency and monitor the activity in the surrounding bandspace and look for a pattern and maybe can decide if it is speech or digital transmissions that are the source and if there is indeed a pattern to the times it occurs. Quite possibly hams in the area already know of a known source of interference in the area. They may have been falsely accused of creating it in the past!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

Default Ham's

That is a worthwhile suggestion. I will follow up....