Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum users BEWARE!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
wuhouse
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum users BEWARE!

What looks good on the outside may not be so on the inside and could cause you to loose your plane. Nearly happened to mine.

I use the Dx6i, a good TX, with Ar6200s, good full range rx suitable for nitro planes. As usual, I flew in the evening today, and after 2 short flights decided to packup and head home.

Back home, I was going through my equipment, and I really hated the messy wires in my Pilatus Porter, the plane I was flying earlier, and one of my favs. So I took out all the wires from the Ar6200 and rewired them nicely. And then I decided to BIND it again, something that I would usually do once and never bother to redo, dun ask me why I did it this time. Strange thing, the fella would not bind, with only the main RX's led blinking and NO led blinking on the remote RX! I though it was battery, quite unlikely, no harm trying a fresh pack. Same thing it would not bind. Something is WRONG! I unplugged everything and removed both rxs. On close I mean CLOSE inspection, I found the root cause......2 out of 3 wires connecting both Rxs broke at the remote RX end, nearly invisible, because the rubber was still attached to the small little white connector, but the copper wires inside already broke off and there was NO contact. I thought I was always careful with this connection cos it looks fragile. I don't quite understand how this can happen.

Anyway, if it had happened earlier in the field and worse during mid flight, I would have lost my plane! So my advise to all who's using the same equipment as mine, CHECK! I have 6 other AR6200s.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spektrum users BEWARE!

Actually, if it happened during midflight, the main receiver would have kept functioning as normal. It would only have been when you tried to turn it back on after turning off that you would have found the problem, assuming you looked at the LED's. The system is designed that way, loss of a remote does not result in loss of the RF connection.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Druss

Agreed, the satellite receivers are there to provide redundancy.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
saitofreak

ORIGINAL: wuhouse

What looks good on the outside may not be so on the inside and could cause you to loose your plane. Nearly happened to mine.

I use the Dx6i, a good TX, with Ar6200s, good full range rx suitable for nitro planes. As usual, I flew in the evening today, and after 2 short flights decided to packup and head home.

Back home, I was going through my equipment, and I really hated the messy wires in my Pilatus Porter, the plane I was flying earlier, and one of my favs. So I took out all the wires from the Ar6200 and rewired them nicely. And then I decided to BIND it again, something that I would usually do once and never bother to redo, dun ask me why I did it this time. Strange thing, the fella would not bind, with only the main RX's led blinking and NO led blinking on the remote RX! I though it was battery, quite unlikely, no harm trying a fresh pack. Same thing it would not bind. Something is WRONG! I unplugged everything and removed both rxs. On close I mean CLOSE inspection, I found the root cause......2 out of 3 wires connecting both Rxs broke at the remote RX end, nearly invisible, because the rubber was still attached to the small little white connector, but the copper wires inside already broke off and there was NO contact. I thought I was always careful with this connection cos it looks fragile. I don't quite understand how this can happen.

Anyway, if it had happened earlier in the field and worse during mid flight, I would have lost my plane! So my advise to all who's using the same equipment as mine, CHECK! I have 6 other AR6200s.
Could be caused by continuous vibration but could be a manufacturing defect too . Try to relieve the strain where the connector and cable join by securing the body of the cable to something solid using cable ties or Velcro. The idea would be to dampen the movement of the cable. Well spotted [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 AM
freeair

thanks for this info , we should all keep an eye on these wires just the same as the rx antenna wires that do break easier than thought. what i do is fit small pieces of silicon tube over these antennas so this tube goes onto the receiver case . take a close look so you know what i mean.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM
sass25479
My Feedback: (9)

I've noticed this problem also. The connector seems to be a week link in the system. Now this is part of my pre flight inspection when I assemble the aircraft to fly.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
onewasp

A little counterpoint. I have been flying Spektrum literally since the announcement.

No such problems.
Having been at this for a lot of years I never allow any stress on a wire to ANYTHING.

Glad you didn't lose anything short of your patience. Frankly I think you experienced a very isolated instance.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
jcw111

I have a AR7000 in a sport plane that was having trouble linking with the TX during start up. Some times it would link in a few seconds and other times it would take 3 or 4 switch on off before it would link up.  Once it would link up it would fly with no problems. One day I was checking the satelite RX and moved the extension wire and got a big surprise  The LED would blink on and of every time I wiggled the wire. No question there was an intermitant problem with the connector. I have been flying the Spektrem for 3 years with 0 problems.
I would suggest this be checked to make sure everything is working as it should. As was said before the primary RX would fly the plane just fine. I would imagine there are a few more just like it out there somewhere. Check them out.

Jim
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
lowwpassjr

ive had this happen also. as someone said before its also part of my preflight check when i assemble the plane. I just went to the lhs and bought a longer wire to reduce stress on it an to put it in a beter place.