Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio control range

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM
jocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio control range

I am looking for Tx/Rx equipement that has a range of more than 20 miles. It's for an experimental aircraft I am building.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM
slarty

Default RE: Radio control range

20 miles ??

Not a cat in hells chance of getting that from any current system.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some pictures?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about sharing your bottle?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: jocket

[font=''Arial''][/font] I am looking for Tx/Rx equipement that has a range of more than 20 miles. It's for an experimental aircraft I am building.

I doubt that that even comes close to being a legal RC aircraft.
Line of sight, unaided is it without special permits and licenses.
However, your post may draw some interest from the Feds.
9/11 is not very far from our memories.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

[font=''Arial''][/font] I am looking for Tx/Rx equipement that has a range of more than 20 miles. It's for an experimental aircraft I am building.
Back in the sixties, I read "Hot Rod" magazine cover to cover, including the letters to the editors. Once, some kid wrote in asking for "complete directions for the modifications needed" to make his Capri a 200 mph racer. The editors replied "The next time a Capri goes 200 mph will be the first time."

If you're asking on this website, you need to rethink building that "experimental aircraft".

Dave Olson
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

"Home/Land security would love to help!....
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only industrial rc/ uavs have that type of radios, and probably regulated ownership.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Druss

We always see these types of pipe dreams from guys that haven't even done the research to know they don't exist and/or are illegal. If it's not line of sight then it's not RC, it's UAV and good luck getting the licenses required from the FAA. It's also illegal to tamper with your RC radio to boost the signal.

Read up on it on the AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
airbusdrvr

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9182951
Check out this thread[:-]
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM
pilotpete2

Oh boy
I can understand the interest in FPV and UAV stuff, but as a long time modeler and AMA member who does not want to lose our right to fly traditional RC. I get very nervous when I see posts like that.
Pete
Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
jocket

Sorry. I am building an experimental system, but I don't want to ruin things for everyone else.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
jocket

I did the research and was told by 2 radio manufacturers that if anyone could help me it would be here. I am aware that its illeagal to tamper with RC radio equipement. I also know that some industries use radio control with much greater range. I'm just asking, didn't mean to upset you.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
jocket

Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You could get an old satellite dish reflector and make a parabolic antenna for a 2.4GHZ system. That could theoretically give you the range of 20 miles. It would probably not be practical as you would have a real problem of keeping the A/C in the beam. It would not be illegal. You would not be messing with the RF equipment. Just enhancing it.
Did you know the horizon is 16 miles away? You would need to be at a good altitude with the A/C.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
jocket

I've sent my patent to the DOD and NASA. They aren't interested until I build a working model. Without radio control I'll have to computerize the whole flight system. I didn't want to stir up so much conflict. I was hoping some one had looked into commercial RC and knew the names of companies who used them.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
dirtybird

The Boeing Co makes and sells RPV's. They can put you in touch with suppliers of long range equipment.
There is a poster on the gas engine forum that call himself "tired old man". He works in the industry. PM him and he will be able to give you some information on the radios they use.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
jocket

That's a good idea. Maybe if you saw what I was working on then I'd get some ideas I haven't thought of. I'll try to post some in the next week or so. Have to get them developed, don't have a digital camera yet.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
jocket

dirtybird,
Thanks for the info. I'll PM him and see what he says.
Again, thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM
rc34074

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

patents are not normally issued until the idea has been "reduced to practice". So I would say you may have an idea for a patent but unless the patent system has changed recently you don't have a patent.

In case you are wondering I am not an attorney but I worked for a corporation and for 5 years I was the contact person between their patent attorneys and the engineers who submitted ideas to be patented. Of course I had other engineering duties in addition to this.

Ed
Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
carrellh

The industrial division of Futaba makes RC stuff that is beyond the level we get to use as unlicensed hobbyists. I do not know the range it has since it is nothing I'd ever be interested in getting. I have no idea what the requirements are to be able to buy it and use it legally.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
jocket

dirtybird,
I'm not worried about the horizon because my vehicle is going up, way up.
The satellite dish is a good idea.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Just understand that we are fairly protective of the hobby and worry about people greying the line between hobby and commerical. In short, we really don't want the FAA or Homeland Security giving us unwanted attention. The reason they leave us alone is because we do an excellent job of policing ourselves.

So when questions come up that require breaking rules, or using our equipment outside normal hobby channels, people get a bit defensive. Please dont take it personally.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Contact Lockheed Martin at the Sandista National Labratory in Los Alomos, NM. They will tell you what regulatory authorities you have to deal with, and then you'll find out what equipment is legal, and what clearances you'll need with the FAA and other authorities.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I think there is value in posting the exchange that took place in Jocket's other thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9185664

Jocket's post:

I was told in another forum that I could reach 'tired old man' in this forum. If you know him pass the word, thanks.

tired old man,
I was told you might be able to help me. I'm looking for commercial long range radio control equipement like what would be used in RPVs. I need to control my hybrid plane to very high altitudes so any help is appreciated.
Response by Tired Old Man (Post #5 in that thread )

I'm sorry but what you request cannot be answered by me. Any answers would violate several very important federal laws, likely sending me to prison for a lengthy stay while wiping out the fruit of my life's work. You're 100% on your own, in more ways than you can imagine, should you continue to persue your present course.

On a more personal note, I'm one that does not believe modelers have the right to participate in long range remote piloting. That's an area I believe reserved for more professional undertakings that are closely monitored in specific types of airspace. In short, modelers are not even remotely qualified to handle most, if not all, of the numerous safety issues. Nor can they handle the liability.

My fire boots and flame suit are on so I'm prepared for the blasts I'm sure to receive, but I won't budge from that position.
End of post.
Dave Olson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.