Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Retract Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract Battery

I was talking in another thread about reciever batteries. One of the postings recommended that I use a seperate battery for a retract setup Iplan on putting in my next build, a Tiger 60. Can anyone tell me how this is done? What would I plug my retract servo into? Where would I plug in a seperate retract battery?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Retract Battery

Did you need a separate battery because the Retract servo cannot handle the Rx battery voltage or is it because of the High Current draw of the Retract servo? I have used a JR Matchbox which was powered by a separate battery. I have also used am MPI Voltage Regulator to step down the voltage to a JR791 Retract servo from the 6V the Rx was using to the 5v that the Retract servo required.

I think I read the thread you were talking about and I believe it was recommended to cut one of the wires from the Rx to the servo and splice in the Battery lead for the servo. I may be wrong.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

I got this information from Jim Stratton in North Carolina when I was completing my H9 P47D. It works perfectly!

"I run a separate battery pack in my P-47 to operate just the retracts for safty reasons. If without the separate battery installed and if the landing gear got jammed on the wheel well when retracted it would drain the receiver battery in a short time causing you to loose your bird.

So here is a diagram of how to fix all that. You need to purchase another on/off charge switch, 4.7 volt battery, and "Y" harness to complete. good luck." See attached diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98731.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1317112  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great I was looking for this kind of setup.
One question I have, with the setup in the diagram I need to charge the batteries separately, is there a way to charge them from the same charging jack at the field.
I also dont know if the field charger will take two battery charging.

thanks
Alex
Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 AM
ggraham500

No, I bought a second Futaba charger from Tower and charge each battery separately, but simultaneously.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
stevenmax50

Thank you very much Mr. Graham.  That diagram is just the ticket.  Makes sense now. 
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM
ggraham500

My sincere pleasure. Enjoy your flights!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50 I was talking in another thread about reciever batteries. One of the postings recommended that I use a seperate battery for a retract setup Iplan on putting in my next build, a Tiger 60. Can anyone tell me how this is done? What would I plug my retract servo into? Where would I plug in a seperate retract battery?
Further to my previous post and expanding those above:
Retract servos should have own power source, especiallyin the case of mechanical servos, as a hard take off/ landing may bend U/C wire and cause servo to stallwhen wheel jamsand servo can not reachit's end point shut down,. A stalled servo will quickly deplete battery andhas been responsible for many lost models as RX shiuts down or failsafe is induced.
How to add a separate power supply for a retract servo
Batteries can be plugged or paired into any channel, not necessarily the one marked battery.
Dual (Parallel) Battery Operation = Reliability & More Flight Time -
Dual Batteries, isolators, 6v, voltage depression, redundancy, etc

Essential that the batteries have separate switch harness and are charged individually.
Further information available under sub sections
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
"Giant Scale, Large RC models, Twins & Multi Engines"
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ"
at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM
stevenmax50

Thanks Alan.  I will be visiting your site alot once my build starts......11 days and counting