Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

X9303 Shutdown in Flight, anyone else seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
davensocal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X9303 Shutdown in Flight, anyone else seen this?

I had my X9303 shutdown in flight a while back. Since then, I have learned of 2 others who have had similar issues..

Just curious if anyone else had had their X9303 turn itself on or off without using the power switch.. I thought maybe this was a power switch issue, but now I am starting to think there is a problem with how the 9303 controls it's power... Because the 9303 can be turned on by simply plugging a trainer cord into it, it seems they are using a transistor or a relay to control the power, not a physical switch.

Anyway, trying to figure out if mine was a fluke or is this is a little more common..

Thanks!

PS- To avoid a lot of questions.. TX battery checked out good after this incident, and continued to run the TX for more than 2 hours. Cycling the power switch and plugging / unplugging the TX battery did not resolve the issue. This was a stock battery, charged with a wallwart. TX was ~60 days old at that time.

Dave
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
GBR2

Default RE: X9303 Shutdown in Flight, anyone else seen this?

Plugging the trainer cord into the buddy box connector on the back of the transmitter does physically create a switch contact (there are no relays or transistor controlling power) so there might possibly be a problem there. I'd send the transmitter in to be looked over before using it again.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your 9303 on 72 or 2.4?

FB
Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
davensocal

It is a X9303, 2.4Ghz.. The XP9303 was the 72Mhz version..

Re: the trainer jack.. Although there can be a physical switch integrated into the trainer jack, it would seem odd to use that to power the entire radio. Also, how would you handle having two physical switches to control power? Just leave them in parallel?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
GBR2

What is so odd about it. It isn't as if the radio draws a tremendous amount of current, maybe a couple of hundered mills. The trainer jack also cuts the RF output. As I said, just box it up and send it in.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: davensocal

I had my X9303 shutdown in flight a while back. Since then, I have learned of 2 others who have had similar issues..
Never heard of this, and I've owned an XP9303 for over 5 years. And an 8103 before that.

Because the 9303 can be turned on by simply plugging a trainer cord into it, ......
ALL JR radios are capable of doing this, from the simplest 6 channel radio to the most complicated 12X.

Rafael
Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Campgems

The Futaba doesn't use the battery in the trainer box, but power to the trainer is supplied by the cord from the master TX. As stated it only provides power to the circurity involved in the sticks, not theRF. Same as the FMS usb cord.

Don

PS, send it in for a check out.

Something else just came to mind, a couple of our guys fly JR and one keeps a supply of fuses and an tool to get then in and out. His comment when I ask, "it's just a JR thing". Ihave seen fuses open up when driven just under the blow current for some time and then "heal" themselves as they cooled down. Some times they wouldn't heal after a couple of these cycles. It may be a good idea to see if your TX has the fuse and to just replace it if you don't send it in. Use the same amperage and type of fuse though or something else, more costly will blow.

Don

Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 AM
GBR2

Also the fuse holder is not the strongest and possibly the fuse is making poor contact but I'd still send it in for service.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Fellow club members have warned me about being careful when plugging in the Charger plug to the Charging jack on JR Tx's. They have had the Fuse blow as a result of a short that occurs as the Charge plug is being inserted. They recommend either connecting the Charge plug to the Tx before turning on the power to the Charger or Turning on the Tx, plugging in the Charger and then Turning off the Tx to start the charge.

I have never had this happen to me with either JR or Futaba Tx's. The only reason I mention it is because this event could Weaken the fuse if not blow it.

I had a Futaba 8AUPS that suddenly lost Range and would lose a signal at 10ft. It turned out to be a Crack in the circuit board that contained the circuits for the Trainer Port, Battery, and the Antenna. The Antenna circuit was broken. I never dropped the Tx and it was fairly new. I had a friend who worked for a company that specialized in building Military Communications repair the board and re solder the broker circuit. At the end of the season, I had Futaba replace the board.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
pilotpete2

To add to Campgems excellent advice, replace that fuse and give the transmitter a good shake down on the ground. If there is any chance the fuse in your radio has been replaced at some time in the past (bought used maybe), there is also a chance that a 3/10A fuse was installed instead of the correct 3A fuse, for some reason a 3A fuse has a decimal point in front of the 3, why, I don't have a clue. AFAIK a .3A fuse would have 3/10A stamped on the end.
I hate to tell you how many intermittent problems I've seen traced to a flaky fuse during my working career.
Pete
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
davensocal

Ooops, found another one.. Started with a blown fuse, now the radio can be on or off regardless of the power switch.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154807]blown fuse[/link]