Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Analog/Digital Servos in 1/5 - 1/4 Scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Analog/Digital Servos in 1/5 - 1/4 Scale

Is there any particular reason to use digital servos in a non-3D 1/5 - 1/4 scale aircraft. I.e., as a group, is there a particular reason to use one or the other in a sport and simple aerobatic environment in this size plane running a 30-50cc gasoline engine. thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Analog/Digital Servos in 1/5 - 1/4 Scale

I do not think you have to use Digital servos for everything. I still use Hitec 645MG servos for some planes. If I need a Faster Response or More Precision, I use Digital servos. If the Price Difference is negligible, I will opt for the Digitals.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto to what BB said
I would add, that a couple of weeks ago I had an ignition/RF problem, due to a new spark plug having a loose screw on tip (I now know you have to tighten them[:-])
The 5 Hitec digitals were oblivious to the RF noise, only the analog Hitec on throttle was going nuts above half throttle. I don't know if there is a difference in how the digital servos handle RF noise induced into the servo leads as opposed to analogs, but if my flight surfaces were acting like the throttle servo, I would have lost the plane for sure[:-]
Receiver was a Futaba R617FS FASST. I'm sure the problem was noise in the servo leads, BTW 4 of the 5 digitals were on much longer leads, the throttle had no extension at all.
Pete
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM
The Bluehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Futaba S3010 Std size/ high torque servos in my 1/4 scale cub....It has lots of power that I really don't use, but it's there if I need it, and std speed 'cause it is a Cub, it doesn't do much at a high rate of spped. At 25 bucks each they are easy on the wallet. Hitec 605's and 645's are popular in my collection as well.

Good Luck, Will