Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

looking at a new radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a new radio

I have been flying with a 7CAP for about 5 years and have really been happy with it. I wouldn't even be looking at another radio right now but I need to make the switch over to 2.4

My first thought was to get the same radio in 2.4 but looking around the airtronics RDS8000 really peaked my interest because of the price. I am not needing servos, just the radio and a rx. Are there any other radios at a good price that I should consider? It looks like http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp is going to be hard to beat price wise if this is a good radio. I'm not sure that I can justify spending $130 more just for the Futaba.

Any reason I should stay away from the RDS8000?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: looking at a new radio

The RDS8000 is an excellent radio. I was a JR flyer for 30+ years and now fly Airtronics exclusively. Check out the manual on line. You won't be disappointed.

Travis
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no reason to stay away, but lots of reason to join us. It is a great radio. If you have the time there is a very long thread on it. It has every thing about it. If you do get one, you will be very happy with it.

Dru.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Another option would be the Hitec Optic 6 w/(2) 7Ch RX's for $199.99 http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/755500.asp

Or convert your 7C with a module. You can get the Hitec Spectra 2.4 w/(2) 7Channels RX's for $129.99.

Mike.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Gringo Flyer

I've seen the Hitec with 2 rxs and thats a great deal and one I am looking at. My first tx was a hitec.

If I buy the airtronics radio and add a rx it is basically a $40 difference. Is the airtronics worth $40 more than the Hitec?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM
MikeMayberry

You're not taking much of a step up over the 7C with either radio... If you like it and just want 2.4Ghz, I'd opt for the module conversion.

Mike.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

I do'nt think the 7CAP uses a module.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I say something negative about the RDS 8000 but its personal to feeling of me only.
what I didnt like about the RDS 8000 compare to futaba 7C is that the RDS is feeling like a toy and the throttle doesn't click - no ratchet.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: HavinFun

Ahhh... you're right, I was thinking of the 7UAP.

It seems a shame to move sideways just for 2.4ghz. The 7C is a very capable radio.

However, the Optic will work with the Futaba 72Mhz FM receivers (w/72mhz module) but not PCM. The RD8000 will not work with anything other than Air't 2.4. So, if you get the Optic you could sell the 7C TX and use any FM stuff you still have.

If you really want to move up, I'd save your money for an Aurora 9 ($429.99 w/2 7ch RX's +$40 for additional 7ch = $469.99 w/3 7chRX's,) or to be fair, an Airtronics SD-10G ($499.99 w/ 2 10ch RX's.) Either of these would be a huge step up from the 7C. Consider the Futaba 8FG ($479.99 w/ 1 RX) if you want to stay with Futaba.

Note: The Aurora 9 is also compatible with your Futaba FM RX's with the Spectra Pro synthesized module when available. All others are not 72mhz compatible, if that is a factor.

Mike.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

It seems a shame to move sideways just for 2.4ghz. The 7C is a very capable radio.

However, the Optic will work with the Futaba 72Mhz FM receivers (w/72mhz module) but not PCM. The RD8000 will not work with anything other than Air't 2.4. So, if you get the Optic you could sell the 7C TX and use any FM stuff you still have.

If you really want to move up, I'd save your money for an Aurora 9 ($429.99 w/2 7ch RX's +$40 for additional 7ch = $469.99 w/3 7chRX's,) or to be fair, an Airtronics SD-10G ($499.99 w/ 2 10ch RX's.) Either of these would be a huge step up from the 7C. Consider the Futaba 8FG ($479.99 w/ 1 RX) if you want to stay with Futaba.

Note: The Aurora 9 is also compatible with your Futaba FM RX's with the Spectra Pro synthesized module when available. All others are not 72mhz compatible, if that is a factor.

Mike.

I have a question about the Optic, which appears to be a 6 channel radio. Does it have the ailevator function?
Also where is a good place to find reviews for this radio?

Ed
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Gringo Flyer

Mike.
Where is the Aurora 9 available at those prices?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 AM
MikeMayberry

rc34074 - Ailervator: Yes.

Here's some other good info:

Comparison chart: http://www.hitecrcd.com/product/comp...adio_Chart.pdf
Tutorial: http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file...icTutorial.pdf

Gringo Flyer: $429.99 is the street price for the Aurora 9 w/ 7Ch RX, $459.99 is w/9Ch RX. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your location because the free 2nd RX and additional (3rd) for $39.99 is only available for radios sold in North America in the form of a coupon included in the radio. For you to take advantage of that, you would have to purchase the radio from a US dealer and then send in the coupon, but you would have to have the additional RX'(s) shipped to a North American address.

Mike.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Gringo Flyer

rc34074 - Ailervator: Yes.

Here's some other good info:

Comparison chart: http://www.hitecrcd.com/product/comp...adio_Chart.pdf
Tutorial: http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file...icTutorial.pdf

Gringo Flyer: $429.99 is the street price for the Aurora 9 w/ 7Ch RX, $459.99 is w/9Ch RX. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your location because the free 2nd RX and additional (3rd) for $39.99 is only available for radios sold in North America in the form of a coupon included in the radio. For you to take advantage of that, you would have to purchase the radio from a US dealer and then send in the coupon, but you would have to have the additional RX'(s) shipped to a North American address.

Mike.
I'll end up buying the radio in the US. The more I look around, I really like the Aurora 9. Will the coupon come with the radio if I buy it from tower? I haven't seen any other info on the coupon anywhere.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

I have been flying with a 7CAP for about 5 years and have really been happy with it. I wouldn't even be looking at another radio right now but I need to make the switch over to 2.4

My first thought was to get the same radio in 2.4 but looking around the airtronics RDS8000 really peaked my interest because of the price. I am not needing servos, just the radio and a rx. Are there any other radios at a good price that I should consider? It looks like http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp is going to be hard to beat price wise if this is a good radio. I'm not sure that I can justify spending $130 more just for the Futaba.

Any reason I should stay away from the RDS8000?
I was in exactly the same boat. I originally intended to buy the Futaba 7C FASST because I like my 72Mhz 7CAF radio system. Then I found out it would be $279.99 without servos and extra receivers would be $100 each.

I opted for the RDS8000, and I liked it so much that I now own two of them along with an Airtronics buddy box chord. It's a fantastic radio system with a nice selection of 2.4Ghz FHSS receivers available for all kinds of different applications. I have no regrets and I have no intention of shopping for Futaba or JR/Spektrum radio gear at any point in the foreseeable future.

The new Hitec Optic 6 and Aurora 9 radio systems that Mike Mayberry mentioned previously are also outstanding values, however. The Aurora 9 represents a new high water mark for computer radios with regard to user friendliness and ease of programmability. The Optic 6 2.4Ghz radio system is high quality choice that also represents an outstanding value. If I didn't already own a pair of RDS8000 radios and 8 or 9 Airtronics receivers, I'd be very seriously shopping the new Hitec 2.4Ghz offerings.

Hitec and Airtronics simply offer more innovative radio systems and better value than JR/Spektrum or Futaba at this time.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Gringo Flyer

I agree, while there are a few things the 7c doesn't do that I would like I have been very happy with it over the past 5 years. With the 2.4 version they just put the radio out of sight price wise. I really like their new 8 channel radio as well, but I could go with the nicer hitec or airtronics radio and get several rx for the same price as just the futaba tx and 1 rx.

I have just about decided to go with the aurora 9 and have the green light from the boss. I'm just trying to find out about the rx coupon. I want to make sure I order from somewhere that will have the coupon.