Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Carbon fiber and RF receivers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber and RF receivers.

It is understood that carbon fiber in fuselages creates distortions in GHz receivers.
Is that the same for 72 MHz ones?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
onewasp

Default RE: Carbon fiber and RF receivers.

I'm not certain what you mean as you really are asking the same question twice.
'MHz receivers' means what? Perhaps you meant GHz.

In the overall view, carbon fiber is a conductor and therefor an RF shield.

The 2.4GHz antennas are very short and can and are often totally shielded by the fuselage UNLESS they are extended so that they may be run outside the fuselage.
On 2.4GHz. Spektrum has Rx's designated for this purpose; Futaba's 2.4GHz. Rx antenna configuration has the extension. Airtronics and HiTec I believe have Rx antenna extensions long enough to escape the carbon fiber fuselage but check to make certain.

In your case where you are on the 72MHz band:
IF you run the complete inside the fuselage then you've most likely got problems.
IF you run the 72MHz Rx antenna outside the fuselage as quickly as you can (almost the whole antenna outside then problems are unlikely.

Yeah, here comes the "except for" .
In some installations where the exterior antenna is running right along the fuselage side you can have problems through inductive coupling. The solution is to run the antenna to the tip of the vertical fin, or the stab. The distance from the carbon fiber fuselage side is enough to negate the inductive coupling.

Clear as mud right?

Simply follow my examples of antenna routing for your solution.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Carbon fiber and RF receivers.

Thank you Onewasp... I edited my posting, I meant GHz receiver in the first sentence.