Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

fp-t6fg/k futaba radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Deathtrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fp-t6fg/k futaba radio

I bought an old citabria 1/4 scale and here is the radio setup in it.Radio model is fp-t6fg/k...Reciever model is Fp-R107N and is Fm,servo's are FP 8138, and the radio has a FM module #FP-TF-FM. I don't want to spend any more than needed, so I was wandering is this SAFE and Legal to use.I fly at home only so I'm not to worried about interfering with others .I know I should upgrade but could I get by with this setup for now.Also if I had to upgrade would the servo's work on a newer radio.I have 2.4 ghz radios but I'm using them On other 1/4 scales and money is tight right now.I dont want to use something thats going to get shot down.Thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: fp-t6fg/k futaba radio

Legal yes. Safe questionable.

From Futaba's website:

"all FM transmitters were built to narrow band standards from the beginning of Futaba FM transmitter generation; however, at that time there was no need or standard to narrow band the receivers, so many receivers were NOT narrow band. Wide band receivers are not illegal, but are potentially dangerous as they may pick up adjacent signals from pagers, cell phones, other channel transmitters, etc."

Not sure if the rx is narrow band. Does it have a sticker on it that says 1991?

Paul
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Okay, here's the bad news.
You're probably going to have to buy a batteries for the transmitter and flight pack.
The receiver is probably not narrowband and needs to be replaced.
The FP-S138s will probably work as well as any $5 servo you can find.
To fix it up you are likely into tens of dollars if not close to full replacement cost for the radio.

Good news:
The radio market is in your favor right now. A lot of fliers have ditched their 72 meg radios in favor of 2.4, so there's a lot of that kind of equipment available for next-to-nothing. If not nothing. In fact, I know a kid who was given a couple of transmitters and a bag full of receivers and needed only batteries to get going.

Here's where it pays to have flying buddies or be in a club. A lot of modelers will give you their old stuff just to see it getting used rather than sit on their shelf at home. Check the prices on ebuy-It's hardly worth the trouble to sell.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Deathtrap

I didn't see 91 on the receiver anywhere. I guess I'll wait and get a new one. Sounds like that would be a wiser choice. Just wanted your opinoins before I broke the news to the wife. Maybe Santa will read this, THANKS for the help!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
The Bluehead

I have several 6 and 7 FGK radios. They work very well, but are old. Your transmitter needs to be narrow banded as well. It usually will have a gold sticker on it if it was done saying something about AMA on it. The actual verbiage escapes me right now. Radio South can do it and fairly cheap. 15 bucks was the cost last time I did it. While they have it, have them give it a check up/retuning. You are gonna spend the better part of a C note doing this. If you are gonna get into RC deep, the best purchase you can do is a good computer radio. Spectrum DX-7 , DX-6i, Jr or Futaba are all good choices. They all have multiple model memories, mixing and expo/ dual rates. Get it in 2.4 GHz and the radio interference problem will be gone. The cheapest is a DX-6i for about 170-180$. The servos will be fine, but, being so old, I would start a replacement program with higher torque servos, such as the DS821 from Spectrum or my favorite, the Futaba S3010. You are flying a 1/4 scale plane and decent sevos will ensure it a longer life. The older servos in my inventory go on throttles and such.

Good Luck, Will