Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Freq Change Ability

Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Terror Dactyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freq Change Ability

I am a diehard JR user that does not worry about the changing I do with crystals.

I have noticed that there are JR ground radios with the full spectrum of gruound freq change ability built in both the TX and RX.

The Hitec Spectra is out there.

The new Polk eight channel with a built in scanner that will not let you turn on if the channel is being used and the RX will fly on any radio and any channel with a reasonably easy channel selection and lock procedure.

I like my 8103 but for about $275 for the pold computer radio I think that I am going to have to get a back up system and it will be the Polk.

Any body have great concerns with easy freq changes and if so are you already doing the crystal swap yourself???
Old 07-07-2003, 02:55 PM
strato911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who's followed my postings will have noticed by now that I am strongly opposed against crystal swapping, and am a PROUD owner of the new Tracker II system from Polk's Hobbies. It's nice knowing that anytime I show up at the flying field, I can always find a channel available, no matter how many other pilots show up.
It's even nicer to know that I can't accidentally shoot someone down, and I can check for interference, thanks to the built in scanner. And with a 99 model memory, it will take me awhile to fill it.

The radio manufacturers have been slow to implement synthesized equipment, but it's coming. :thumbup:

Hitec has the Spectra module, and their radios can be purchased with Novac synth receivers.

Multiplex (now owned by Hitec) also has several synthesized systems.

Futaba has their synthesized 9Z WC2.

It's just a matter of time before synthesized radios become mainstream. Computers have been using synthesized CPU clocks for many years now.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any manufacturer that fails to provide at least Tx synth capability at a reasonable price on all but their bottom line radios are going to loose in the market share race.

And no I will not break the law switching tx crystals here in north america simply because in this sensitive RF environment there is to much to loose to 'primary' major money players within our bands.

John