Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DSM2 and / Bind Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
RICMOD5634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM2 and / Bind Plug

I have a Futaba 2.4 6ch and was very easy to bind. Now I'm thinking of getting a 2.4 modual DSM2/AR9000 for my JR 388. What is this bind plug thing? I didn't need anything like that on my Futaba. Can someone explain. Do I need to by that also?
Rich
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DSM2 and / Bind Plug

In order to get a JR/Spektrum 2.4Ghz Transmitter to communicate with a JR/Spektrum 2.4Ghz Receiver, you must first go through the Bind procedure. The Receiver is shipped with a set of Bind Plugs. They are JR/Spektrum Male and Female connectors with a single Jumper Wire installed. To Bind, you Insert the Male Bind Plug in the Batt/Bind Port on the Receiver, Turn on the Receiver, Wait for the Blinking lights, Press the Bind Button on the Transmitter, and Turn on the Transmitter. The Blinking lights on the Receiver will go out and come back on Solid. You Remove the Bind Plug and the Receiver is Bound to the Transmitter. Once the Bind procedure has been done, the Receiver will stay Bound to the Transmitter until you Bind again. If you have a Switch Harness with a 3 Wire Switch (DSC Compatible), you can Bind by inserting the Female Bind Plug into the Charging Jack of the Switch Harness instead of inserting the Male Bind Plug into the Batt/Bind Port on the Receiver as long as the Switch Harness is plugged into the Batt/Bind Port on the Receiver.

Each Tx and Rx has a unique GUID. The BIND Process links the two. This is true for Futaba, JR/Spektrum, Airtronics, Hitec, etc.. They each have their own Bind Procedure.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM
RICMOD5634

BuschBarber: Thank you for your responce. I now understand whats going on better. They all have to do things a little different to keep us confused.
Thanks Rich
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
BuschBarber

Thanks!!

To make it more complicated, with JR/Spektrum, when you Bind, you also set the Failsafe. Setting Failsafe determines where each Control surface will be if you should lose the signal between the Tx and Rx. Some JR/Spektrum radios let you set Failsafe Hold (all control surfaces Hold their positions until the Signal returns and Throttle goes to Idle) or Failsafe Preset (you mover the Sticks, Switches, Knobs, or Levers, to the position you want the Control surface to move to if the Signal is lost, and then Bind).

Thus, there are two separate BIND procedures and you get to choose which one you want.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

HI;I am not real good on these spectrum modules but warning!Be sure your engine goes to idle when you shut things off.If you bound it with throttle up will go there on shut off,Friend learned that hard way.Just checked one of mine last night and found it to do that!!Then put throttle on idle shut off plane and did the rebind!Then when power off throttle now went to idle ,I prefered that to full throttle!Just a hint actually my spectrum module is on a 9C but I think they all react the sameway on that function anyway worth checking!!Happy Flying!!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
BuschBarber

Yes!! Especially if you have an Electric aircraft. If you shut off the Tx first, the Rx goes into Failsafe, and unlike Glow or Gas power, the Electric motor can restart.

Always turn on the Tx before the Rx and turn off the Rx before the Tx or you can also run into Binding problems.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If for an electric plane, make sure you put the throttle trim to the bottom before you bind. Otherwise , if it goes into failsave the motor will go to fast idle. The DX7 and lower will only go to idle in failsafe. The control surfaces stay in the position they were in when the signal was lost.