Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

2.4 GHz... Will one transmitter work with other brand recievers?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 GHz... Will one transmitter work with other brand recievers?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Supervetteracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 GHz... Will one transmitter work with other brand recievers?

Purchased a dx5 for my glider, then put said glider in the top of one very tall tree. After many efforts and interesting attempts I ended up blowing th emotor and battery out with a potato gun. (But tht is a different story) While I was out of town someone else came and managed to recover the rest of my plane with my reciever. Grrr. Now I have a transmitter but no reciever. And a new reciever for this thing is like $60. I can buy an entire plane with a 2.4 transmitter/reciever and everything for a little more. Could I use my dx5 with some of these RTF planes?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 GHz... Will one transmitter work with other brand recievers?

Can't get that page.
Spektrum/Parkzone makes planes which will operate with the Spektrum DSM2 2.4 Ghz system, sold as BNF.. Bind and Fly. They come with a receiver that will work with the DMS2 transmitters.
There is no crossover/compatability between other radio brands.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Supervetteracer

So I need to stick to spectrum or parkzone if I want to bind and fly with my dx5 or parkzone 2.4 transmitter. 

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no 3rd party 2.4 receivers. You cannot, for example, use a Futaba 2.4 Rx with a JR/Spektrum Tx. JR and Spektrum use the same technology, so you can use a JR 2.4 Tx with a Spektrum Rx and vice versa.

I believe that the DX5 is DSM. You can use a DSM Tx with a DSM Rx, but you cannot use a DSM Tx with a DSM2 Rx. You can use a DSM2 Tx with a DSM Rx. DSM is an earlier version of Spektrum technology. DSM2 is a later version. Be sure to check and see if the Rx you plan to use is DSM.

A Bind n Fly airplane comes with a JR/Spektrum compatible Rx. You could buy the same aircraft in a Plug n Play version, which does not come with an Rx and allows you to put in whatever Rx that is compatible with your Tx.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Supervetteracer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

There are no 3rd party 2.4 receivers. You cannot, for example, use a Futaba 2.4 Rx with a JR/Spektrum Tx. JR and Spektrum use the same technology, so you can use a JR 2.4 Tx with a Spektrum Rx and vice versa.

I believe that the DX5 is DSM. You can use a DSM Tx with a DSM Rx, but you cannot use a DSM Tx with a DSM2 Rx. You can use a DSM2 Tx with a DSM Rx. DSM is an earlier version of Spektrum technology. DSM2 is a later version. Be sure to check and see if the Rx you plan to use is DSM.

A Bind n Fly airplane comes with a JR/Spektrum compatible Rx. You could buy the same aircraft in a Plug n Play version, which does not come with an Rx and allows you to put in whatever Rx that is compatible with your Tx.

Sp I can use differrent name brands together as long as they use the same technology. IE: dsm to dsm or dsm2 to dsm2. How many types are there? 2? dsm and dsm2?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
BuschBarber

Sorry to be so confusing.

DSM and DSM2 are different versions of Spektrum technology. Read the following post:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/DSM2.aspx

JR and Spektrum share the same technology, so a JR 2.4 Tx will work with a Spektrum 2.4 Rx. The opposited is also true.

The earlier Spektrum Tx and Rx used DSM. The later models use DSM2. It should be marked on the box that the Tx and Rx came in.

A DX5 is a DSM Tx and can only be used with a Spektrum Rx that is DSM. A DX7 uses DSM2 and can be used with any JR or Spektrum Rx.

You cannot use JR/Spektrum transmitters with any other manufacturers receivers.
You cannot use JR/Spektrum receivers with any other manufacturers transmitters.

The same is true for every other 2.4 Radio manufacturer such as Airtronics, Hitec, Futaba, etc.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
adaptabl

Is it a DX5 or DX5e?

"DX5e 5Ch Full Range Transmitter/Receiver only MD1

Key Features
**** THIS IS A MODE 1 RADIO ****
Basic 5-channel 2.4GHz DSM2 radio and receiver
Easy-to-use control for basic models
Includes AR500 5-channel full range sport receiver
Delta wing mixing
HI/LO rates
Servo reversing
JR and Spektrum compatible trainer system"
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
snuts

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM5500
And this one is mode #2
-Snuts-
Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
BuschBarber

I made an error. The DX5e is a DSM2 Tx. The DX6 is a DSM Tx but the DX6i is a DSM2.

Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Supervetteracer

Mine is a DX5E. So what is the cheapest reciever system I can buy for this? Or would it be cheaper to just buy another seperate 2.4 Ghz unit from the cheap cHina place?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
BuschBarber

It looks like you have the following choices. There are two pages to this listing:

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...000&N=812+5935

It looks like the 6110 or the 6300 are both $49. These are both 6ch Rx's. There are some 3 channel choices. The 6110 comes with the servo ports facing out the top of the Rx or facing out the end of the Rx depending upon what is most convenient for your installation. These Rx's are small and light. They are designed for Park Flyer type aircraft so it does not seem to have the Full Range like the AR6200 and above. I have three of the AR6100 Rx's and they work fine for smaller aircraft that do not fly out as far. I would not put an AR6110 or AR6110e in a 40 or 60 size aircraft. The AR6300 is very light, for indoor foamies. I assume it has limited range, like the AR6110, but it does not say that on the Horizon site.

The AR500, that comes with the DX5e is full range. It sells for $59, so it would be a better choice for aircraft that need a longer range Rx.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMAR500
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Supervetteracer

So I can either pay $59 for a reciever with the spectrum name brand. Or I can pay 32.95 + shipping for this 6 channel and 12 bucks for extra recievers.. Am I missing something or am I that big of an idiot for buying a DX5e?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9041
Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Paying retail prices for Spektrum receivers is like paying list price for a car. Sure, some people do it, but most people avoid it. AR6110Es are under $40, and AR500s are around $50.

I can't imagine using that radio you linked to. It could be that it's just fine, but I've purchased no-name, bargain electronics before. They're uniformly crap. For some purposes, crap is just fine. For flying a model airplane? Nope. There are plenty of things in life that are great for being cheap on, but not something like a transmitter. There are too many risks involved, not just to your model but to the people and property around it. Not being able to change a setting without hauling a computer to the flying field seems shortsighted, too.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Well take a look at this. The hobby king radio you refer to show mode !. Do you use 1 or 2? Is this radio FCC certified? Does it have a 3 year warrenty? Can you get repair service here in the US? Is price your only consideration? or does performance count for any thing?. what is the overall range of this radio? Does it hop or fix on one band and stay there. A lot of questions over a $59 receiver. by the way I sell the spektrum 5 ch. for $49.99. Dennis PS forgot to mention that you have to use a PC to make any changes in the radio
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
BuschBarber

There is nothing wrong with the Spektrum DX5, if all you need is 5 channels. At some point in time you will probably want more channels. As you move up to radios that have more channels, you also get more of a variety of programming features.

In 1978, I bought my first RC Radio. It was a 6ch Futaba. It had no Servo Reversing, no Mixing switches, no Dual Rates or Expo. When you set up an aircraft, you had to think about which way the servo moved and be sure to put the Servo Arm on the correct side. There were quite a few Mechanical Adjustments you had to make as there were only Trim Levers on the Tx. If you used your Tx for more than one aircraft, you had to remember where the Trim Levers should be set for each model.

Computer radios have made setup so much easier. With Model Memories, you can set up each Model and save all the settings. Each time you fly a different Model, you just switch to the Model Memory for that Model.

The Spektrum DX5e only has one model memory, so you would need to make manual changes for each aircraft you fly. Since you have 5 channels, you can have Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, and Retracts. You have a range of Spektrum Rx's to choose from and if you stay with JR/Spektrum, you can use these Rx's with any future radios you purchase.

The Hobby King radio you mentioned is inexpensive. It is not compatible with JR/Spektrum. It is listed as Mode 1, so the Throttle is on the Right Stick, not the Left Stick as in the more common Mode 2. I have no idea of the quality of the Hobby King radios or how many other Rx's they offer. I know nothing about their Warranty or Service. It is a 6ch radio. I do not know about the Range limits. For $32, I suppose you could give it a try.

If you want to jump to other brands, the best known ones are Futaba, JR/Spektrum, Airtronics, Hitec.

Another option would be to pick up a used, higher end, 72Mhz radio that has the option of using RF Modules. Many people are selling their older Hitec, JR, Futaba, and Airtronics 72Mhz radios to buy new 2.4 Radios. If you buy a radio like the Futaba 9CAP or the JR XP9303, you can buy a Spektrum 2.4 RF Module and it will be compatible with your AR500 Rx and any other Spektrum Rx. Futaba, Hitec, XPS, and others, make 2.4 RF Modules, but they are only compatible with their own Rx's.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Supervetteracer

This is driving me nuts.  Been reading about the "other brand" here- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post14175109

and it seems like most people are having good luck with them.  I hate the idea of paying so much more for a Spectrum brand if it shows no better performance.  Also looking at http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrc62tr.html .

Seems like at the5-7 channel level recievers/transmitters they are all very close in performance.  But not price.

If I get one of these tother brands then I'll throw my dx5e on ebay starting at $1 with no reserve.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
BuschBarber

It is important get a good Warranty and good Service when you buy a Radio. If you have a problem with your radio and the manufacturer Repairs or Replaces it, that is worth the extra bucks. There are a variety of reputable RC Radio manufacturers to choose from. If you go too cheap, you may regret it.

I do not like crashing any airplane, even the foam ones. I want a radio that is Reliable, Feels good in my hands, and has the features I like.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Supervetteracer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

It is important get a good Warranty and good Service when you buy a Radio. If you have a problem with your radio and the manufacturer Repairs or Replaces it, that is worth the extra bucks. There are a variety of reputable RC Radio manufacturers to choose from. If you go too cheap, you may regret it.

I do not like crashing any airplane, even the foam ones. I want a radio that is Reliable, Feels good in my hands, and has the features I like.

I agree. The antenna fell off of my dx5e. I sent it in for repairs yesterday. Let's see how things go. This may determin whether I stick with the spektrum brand or not. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
cajun1

That's why I have flown Airtronics almost exclusivly since 1984. I have experienced very few problems, and when I have had problems they resolvd them immediately at minimal expense.

I have purchased six Airtronics sets over the years and most have never been back to the shop.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
pilotpete2

One thing to consider when looking at the cheap direct imports from China. You could invest in that radio today and a bunch of receivers, a year or so from now you may find you can no longer get compatible receivers for the transmitter, or the tranny could go belly up and you may not be able to get another that is compatible with the receivers you have already paid for. Investing in a name brand radio, brought into the country by an established distributor, like Horizon of Hobbico is a much safer bet in the long run.
Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation
Pete
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
FightingGravity

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

The hobby king radio you refer to show .....Is this radio FCC certified?
Are they even legal to use in the US?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Supervetteracer

I don't know.  I ended up buying a DX-7.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The ASSAN and Corona radios sold by Hobby City are FCC and CE certified. I have them and fly them regularly. They are not crap.
They are cheap enough so that if you get a bad one just throw it away and get another one.
I have three transmitter modules and four receivers. I haven't got a bad one yet.
I order from HC and usually receive what I ordered within about 10 days.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
pilotpete2

Do you use these in parkfliers only, or in larger stuff?
I certainly see the place for these systems for the guy who has a lot of foamies that only cost about as much as one of the receivers, but I'd be hesitant to try one in a large IC powered model. The $64.000 question really is, how well do they work in an aluminum foil covered model Sorry I couldn't resist after following that thread last week, it had me LMAO[8D]
Regards,
Pete
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I do not have any park fliers.
They would work OK in aluminum foil covered aircraft as long as the last two inches of the antennas are outside of the foil. The receivers come with two antennas each with a four inch transmission line. You might get some dead spots due to shadowing and reflections.