Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A123 batteries in a JR 10x XMTR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A123 batteries in a JR 10x XMTR?

Has anyone put 3 A123 cells (9.6v) in a 10X battery case? What's the charging and balancing procedure....remove and open the case?? Mitch
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: A123 batteries in a JR 10x XMTR?

I don't think they'll fit in the cassette.

The other issue from my point of view is; why would you want to do it?

I love the A123's in my models as flight packs, but that's pretty easy to figure out when they need charging. With a tx showing battery voltage and the way the A123's hold their voltage and then drop off a cliff at the end, how you gonna keep track of the battery charge state? I guess you could figure out how much power you'll use per minute and then you'd have to keep track of how long the tx is on between charges, but it seems like a hassle to me and easily messed up.

Not too long ago, Eneloop AA size cells became available which do fit inside the JR cassettes and I had 'em put in one of my 12X cassettes which is the same as the 10X cassette. Great batteries with an extremely low self discharge rate, you can charge 'em with a regular walwart and at 2000 mah they run for quite awhile.

You may want to consider those batteries?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Zeeb. I was thinking that I'd use the TX timer function for total on time and just calculate the draw.
Mitch
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really the A123 is not "fit" for the 10.