Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX antenna repair?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 AM
hank01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX antenna repair?

I left a model sit overnight with the antenna exposed and the cat chewed it in two. Can it be repaired by soldering it back together or should the whole RX be replaced? The antenna was 28" long now it's 18". Other ideas about this? I have already considered killing the cat.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: RX antenna repair?

Don't kill the cat. Just solder back a piece of wire to equal the original length of the antenna.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the past 32 years of RC flying I have had more than one antenna break. At the field, if you have a portable soldering iron or mini torch, you can just solder it back together, put shrink tubing on it, and fly. At home, I would open the Rx case, unsolder the old antenna, and solder on a new one. They are relatively cheap at your LHS, or if you know the guage wire, go to Radio Shack or another electronics store.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 AM
hank01

Thanks for feedback guys! We'll solder it for now and find a new one to replace it. Btw, the cat now has his own piece of wire to chew on.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM
matt99

hey guys i have a similar issue but not the cat, ifixed mine and routed it under the body, now i get interferance even at 75ft away.
is it just being under the body or is the rx trash?

i am btw looking for a new tx/rx to go to 2.4 setup without an antenna... if you know a good one let me know.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 PM
BuschBarber

I have dealt with RF Noise, on 72Mhz systems, for 32 years. There are many reasons why routing an antenna a certain way results in Glitching. If you run into this problem, try taping the antenna to the wing and see if the problem goes away.

Sometimes, the wires inside the insulation can break, but the insulation does not. Do a continuity check between the Rx and the end of the Antenna.
Someties the antenna passes by servos or electrical wires that causes the RF Noise.

If you can, take the Rx out of the plane and connect it to a battery and a servo. Do a Range Check and see if the problem is gone. You can also try another Rx in the same plane.

I had a problem with a Futaba 8AUPS and after much testing, I pulled the back off the Tx and found that the circuit board that the Antenna was attached to was cracked, right across the Antenna circuit.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Custom, you just opened a bag of worms by asking which tx/rv is a good one.  I bet you get about a thousand responses to that question. 
BTW, you do know that 2.4 still has an antenna right/  Just a lot shorter.  Fits in your radio compartment.  Now since you asked, here is my 2 cents worth on which radio.

Airtronics RDS8000 is as reliable as any other on the market and is very user friendly.  It is also alot less expensive than most others. 

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM
BuschBarber

2.4 is the way to go for many reasons. Short antennas, no need for Frequency Pin, virtually no interference from RF Noise or other RC radios. You do need to move up to a 6v battery with plenty of capacity since a short voltage drop caused by servo drain on the battery can cause a short loss of signal, on most 2.4 receivers.

The 2.4 market is heating up and whatever is the Best on one day can be second Best the next. If you currently have an older radio that takes RF Modules, there are a number of companies that offer a 2.4 RF Module to convert your radio.
There are also at least 5 major brands that offer 2.4 transmitters and receivers.

Just remember that no matter which manufacturer you buy a radio or module from, you will only be able to use their receivers.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
matt99

okso a rx that state "internal" antenna still has a wire? they even claim it has no wired antenna making antenna masts obsolete.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
iflircaircraft

The 2.4 rx has a very short antenna. On my AR7000 I have two antennae, one is on the primary receiver and the other is on a "remote" receiver.
Why they didn't call it a secondary receiver is beyond me since both are installed inside the plane.

Tom
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
BuschBarber

I don't know about the AR7000, but in the AR9000, the Main Rx box has two receivers inside with on antenna per receiver. You can then connect up to two Satellite (Remote) receivers. Each Remote receiver has two antennas, but only one receiver in each Remote receiver case. So you can have a total of 4 receivers but only 3 cases.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
snuts

To the Original Poster:
I have replaced a few antennas on my 72 receivers over the years. I have found that a old computor mouse cable will provide you with a great wire for the antenna itself. I have even used one of the other colors to indicate a replacement (grey, or red).
-Snuts-
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
hank01

Thanks for the great tip Snuts! With all of the junks PC's I have laying around there are many replacement antennas already on hand. Notice any difference in range or static with a mouse wire antenna?

Hank (the original poster)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
snuts

Hank, none at all. I fly a super AVA 147" glider, my personal best was 4695ft above launch height, and at least 1/2 mile out. Crazy small! That particular receiver actually did get a replacement antenna later (caught in the adjustable tow hook). I wouldn't shy away from using it again for the same task.
Last year I bought a few top end J.R 10ch radios. Replaced 5 antennas on 10ch receivers that came from turbine, or heli rolls. With Deans antennas, I simply replaced the intire antenna. I will look on line and check the length, 37 inches comes to mind for all J.R. receivers.
-Snuts-
Well 39 inches seems to be correct, in reality if you make it 39 inches (it will work just fine) you can cut it down later.