Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A few quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few quesitons

Ive been out of the hobby for quite a number of years and just recently had the R/C bug bite me again.I recently purchased a few planes and helis. Man its been a while and am loving these new micro helis! Anyway, moving on...I just purchased the following.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/stevtr.htmlNitro Planes 90A123O_TrainerSport40 just to have a "banger"to get my wings back under me.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ka5053nigas3.htmlCMPKatana50 53" plane (really liked the price of this plane although Ifound mixed reviews. Thought it would be a good bargain regardless.)

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a217w.html4-Channel UCAV Predator 90A217W-ARF-UCAV (Probably a silly purchase as Ive never flown an EDFpowered anything...always been glow powered guy...but the price was right and I really like the looks of this jet so at the very least it will make a nice conversation piece if all else fails.)

http://www.xheli.com/exitsecaedar.htmlXI T-450 SE Carbon Edition heli KIT (will plan on building this one as time/money allows - since Im not really a heli guy but am really interested in them. Again, pricepoint was right)

I think I pretty much have everything lined out as far as the trainer bird goes. I have my older electronics to install (Futaba FP-T4NBF TX, FP-R127DF RX, and some S148 servos) plus an old OS40 Max FP motor. Ithink these items "should"do this plane fine as Ijust wanted to get it to have something cheap to get my skills back. In my mind I"think"I canpick up where Ileft off many moons ago, but am smart enough to realize thats probably not the truth. The only thing that concerns me is the motor. I really dont remember how much "umph" this 40MaxFP has and if it will power this plane from a grass runway. I think it should as the last plane I had it on was about as large as the NP one...just dont recall its final weight to compare.

Also, I would like to know which radio would be recommended that I could buy to fly the Katana, Predator and EXICarbon heli? I dont need state of the art or top of the line. But of course want it to be dependable and servicable if needed. Id like to go with 2.4 as well since that seems to be the latest technology. I know it will have to be at least a 6 channel as the heli requires this. I just hate to buy cheap radios for all 3 of these toys whenI would think that I could get 1 nice radio to work with all of them for close to the same price as 3 "el cheapos".

Id like to be able to keep my costs under control and not have to break the bank just to get started over again in the hobby. That is why I am open to any and all suggestions. But I dont want to buy "cheap" just for the sake of being cheap. Id rather spend a little more on a radio that is known to be "good"rather than have a load of issues just because I wanted to save a buck or two.

Idont plan on getting all of these toys in the air immediately. It really has been quite a while since Ihave flown and know my thumbs have quite a bit of "rust". It may even be next year before the Katana or Predator even sees the sky. The heli (especially going with a 450 CP) is going to have its own unique learning curve as well. It may or may not do much more than using RADDs school of flight just to get a good hover by end of summer...we will see.

Thanks in advancefor your time in reading my ramblings. All input is appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A few quesitons

If you plan on going with 2.4Ghz radios, there are many to choose from.

Right now, there are great buys on radios like the Hitec Aurora 9. Airtronics has some good deals on their newer 2.4 radios.

Futaba and JR/Spektrum also offer great products although they will be more expensive than the others.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM
ATVAlliance

Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Thats why I registered here to post...seemed like a really active place.

Im not really "dead set" on 2.4...just thought that it was the newest and  has been out long enough now to have all of the 1st gen issues resolved...or at least I would hope.  But am certainly open to any options as far as technology type goes.

In the end...Id like to have a radio that can control planes and heli's both.  One that is affordable (say 250 dollar price range or less) but isnt going to break my bank adding recievers to it for the different models I will fly with it.  Since I am new to EDF (especially high speed aircraft) I would want one with expo of course so I can tame things down a bit till I am more comfortable (this will help with the heli as well I am sure).

Im not interested in 3D flight but more into sport and scale flying (even with the heli) so I dont need the fastest one on the market...then again dont want to have a sluggish one either.

As you can see I keep things a long time (old Futaba electronics being resurected for the trainer).  So I dont want to buy something now only to realize a year or two down the road its not lasting or doesnt have the featureset I need to program more intricate mixes that can be added when my skills progress.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and I am anxious to hear yours, as well as others input.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

2.4Ghz radio equipment is affordable and reliable, ATVAlliance. Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics all have full-featured computer radios available below your $250 budget that will fly helicopters or fixed wing aircraft equally well. Additional receivers are often no more expensive than 72Mhz radio systems, either.

The Hitec Optic 6 2.4Ghz radio system is available right now from Tower Hobbies, Hobby People, or Horizon Hobby for $229.99 with two Hitec Optima 7-channel 2.4ghz receivers. It has programming and mixing features for helicopters as well as fixed wing aircraft.

Some folks seem to like the Airtronics RDS8000. It's an 8-channel 2.4Ghz radio system that also has programming and mixing features for helicopters as well as fixed wing aircraft. It is currently available from Tower Hobbies or Hobby People for $189.99 with one receiver.

If you wish to stay with Futaba, check out the 6EX 2.4Ghz radio system. Also featuring helicopter and airplane programming and mixing features, the Futaba 6EX is $219.99 and available at Hobby People or Tower Hobbies. Extra receivers for the Futaba may cost you a bit more than with the Hitec or Airtronics options, but all three are very reliable options with no compromise to quality.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
ATVAlliance

Ed...I will take a look at those models.

I do like FUtaba, not because I think its best but rather was the brand that my LHS carried years ago when I was into the hobby and just never had anything other than that (not counting the cheap R/C stuff that came from Rat Shack "real toy junk stuff")  I still have a Magnum Junior car radio that works just as good today as it did 15 years or so ago when I bought it.

Ive been reading in this forum since I made my post and there is a huge thread on the RDS8000.  At over 80 pages it intimidated me too much to even go inside.  LOL

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
DougV

ATValliance,

You can also get a better radio than the 6EX, you can get the Futaba 7C 2.4 that has much better programming for Helis and airplanes for $279. but you'll get an extra receiver (R617FS) for $10.00 extra.

So for $280 you can get the 7C and 2 R617FS receivers, and if you are a tower hobbies club member you'll get an extra $40.00 off I think and free shipping.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...futk7000m.html

Doug.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
ATVAlliance

Im not a TH club member but for the 9.99 price of membership to get 40 bucks off the price is well worth it!

How do you deduce the 40 dollar rebate if you dont mind?

And just for the record...you can call me "Speed".  ATVAlliance is my website and the nick "SpeedDemon" was already used here at RCU.

Thanks for everyones input thus far.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
DougV

Hi Speed,

When you become a TH member you'll get emails with promos and codes that you will enter in the shopping cart.

But call them tomorrow and tell them that you will like to be a club member and that you will like to take advantage of the Super Saver club deals, and they will enter the code for you.

Regards,
Doug.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
ATVAlliance

Thanks Doug.

I still havent made up my mind as to which Mfgr I will go with.  But will give TH a call and/or just join the club (found the page on their site to join).  At the very least I will get my money back on the first order over 150 bucks with them.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
DougV

Actually I just got an email from them, the code you'll be using is 011EX for $50.00, so you'll get the 7C 2.4 with 2 R617FS receivers for $230.00.

Doug.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could change your name to "SpeedDemonATV"

I also prefer the Futaba systems. They are the easiest to set up, use and bind new receivers with - also super dependable
Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

You could change your name to "SpeedDemonATV"

I also prefer the Futaba systems. They are the easiest to set up, use and bind new receivers with - also super dependable
Can users change their name here? Or do they have to get a mod or admin to do that? Thanks for the suggestion though...never thought of that.

I really think I have narrowed it down to either the Futaba 7C or the Airtronics RDS8000. The price is really attractive on the Airtronics for sure, that and the additional channel just in case I would ever need it.

The Futaba brand definitely has never let me down in the past though and I sure like the looks of the Futaba radios better than any Ive seen. They just look better constructed and that is probably because of the faux brushed aluminum touches around the sticks and such. But pretty doesnt always equate to better in general...so Im not always swayed by what is pretty.

I do notice the Futaba has a backlit LCD whereas the Airtronics looks just like a regular LCD (maybe it is photo but unless I overlooked it I didnt see where it said it had a backlight). I dont even know if it matters and maybe the backlight would not even be used on the futaba, if that is what I go with.

Of course the price is right on the 8000 and even better IF the same 50 dollar discount can be applied to it.

So the question is this...between the Futaba 7C and the Airtronics RDS8000...which would you buy and why?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
ATVAlliance

One more thing on the 2.4 deal...

What, if any, issues are to be had when using 2.4 in the vicinity of other 2.4 devices.  Primarily higher gain (ie 20+db and up) antanae such as microwave wireless.

While I live out in the "sticks" and fly on my own property, I cant be for certain that someone on the next ridge doesnt have some type of high gain 2.4 equipment sending packets thru the air.

My job is Network Administration and I had to pull all of my 2.4 infrastructure in town and replace it with 5.8 just because of signal saturation.  With basically only 3 real channels of separation in 2.4...whats the chance/result of interference with someting "touching" your channel?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not 100% sure, but Futaba uses a "look ahead" system. It look ahead for a clear channel then jumps to it for something like 4 milliseconds before jumping to the next (which it has already checked for availability).

So even if it jumps to a channel that gets used at the exact same time, it will only last 4 milliseconds - not long enough to notice.

But in your situation, it's worth doing a good ground check first!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
ATVAlliance

Thanks Mike...I will definitely do some testing.  Id say a good start would be for me to at least drive around my flying area with a laptop and run NetStumbler (an app that picks up on 2.4) and just see what is what.  I might be concerened for nothing...like I said I live out in the sticks.

Its just with 2.4 WAP's on the shelf at every retailer nowdays, it seems everyone has at least 2.4 in their home.  I even ran some higher gain 2.4 stuff to send my home network across the property to my inlaws house so they could share my internet connection.  So that alone made me think that possibly some others are doing the same thing to extend their computer networks out to an out building or garage or whatnot.

Thanks for the input on the "look ahead" though.  I wasnt aware of that being how it works.  I just know that you basically have channels 1 thru 11 on 2.4 and you have to have at least 3 channels of separation.  So the only completely clear channels you have would be 1, 6 and 11.  Again, this is on statically assigned devices.