Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex

Old 07-14-2003, 03:28 PM
propnut28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex

Hey guys I was wonering if anyone here has good reports about the Multiplex Pico transmiters. Im intrested in buying one but want to be sure it is a good radio. I like the idea of being able to upgrade the functions.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default Multiplex

The Pico line will not be imported into the US, only the Cockpit and Royal Evo's but there will still be upgrade parts availablible since most are the same as the Cockpit.

You might consider the Hitec Flash 5X or step up to the Cockpit or Eclipse.

Mike.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:53 AM
propnut28

Default Multiplex

Bummer, But thanks. What is the reason for not importing them? Is it to do with the FCC?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:42 PM
MikeMayberry

Default Multiplex

It was just a business decision. The Hitec Flash line offers much more bang for the buck so we didn't want to import a radio with limited potential.

Mike.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:39 AM
propnut28

Default Multiplex

Not saying I doubt you. But it seems like the pico had plenty of mixing functions and than there is the ability to upgrade with out having to buy a new radio. Could you tell me some of the limitations the pico has.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Multiplex

The Pico comes as a 4 channel Tx, capable of expansion to 7 channels. It is not a computer radio. It does have a mixer for v tail and for aileron differential. Another option is a throttle to elevator mixer. If you need mixing you are better off getting a proper computer radio. If you need 7 channels you will probably get far more benefit from a computer Tx. Even in the UK where high end Multiplex is far cheaper than high end Futaba/JR, the Pico is expensive and can’t compete. At the basic/entry end of the market, Mpx has tiny sales volumes compared to the global sales of Hitec, Futaba etc and it will never be a competitive price. Price really matters in that market sector.

The big strength of Messrs Park & Co owning Multiplex in addition to Hitec is that for the most part they complement one another, there is little overlap. Hitec has a range that goes from basic 2 channel to entry level/intermediate computer. Although Mpx does the Pico and basic computer it is not a big player so there is no threat to Hitec. Mpx’s big strength in radios is in the top end computers, where Hitec has not yet brought anything to market, so the two ranges complement one another.

Given that the Pico is neither a basic non-computer set nor an entry level computer set, it has no really good selling point. It can’t compete on price in a very price sensitive sector of the market, and Hitec USA already imports a competitive product, so it is no surprise that the USA importer is not interested in the Pico.

Harry