Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Sunlight and 14mz screen contrast

Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunlight and 14mz screen contrast

I recently purchased a Futaba 14MZ and am amazed at the flexibility and capability of the radio. The one issue I have is that I find it hard to see the screen and make programming adjustments when I am at the flying field and in the sun. What is the best way to enhance the contrast or do whatever to make the screen easier to see? Thanks

Howard
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Sunlight and 14mz screen contrast

Howard,

Good radio choice! You'll love it.

Please forgive me for saying this, but ... have you tried the screen contrast setting in the system menu? I find that you can adjust it to look pretty good in all but the brightest direct sunlight.

Dave McQ
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Dave,

I am aware of the contrast setting but, it is worth trying again to see if I missed something I went out in the sunlight, although today is overcast, and moved the contrast up and down the scale to bring out the brightest screen and also tilted the radio screen up and down and find that doing the combination of the two makes it easier to see. The angle of the screen relative to my eyes seems to make a significant difference. I got my wife a Garmin GPS for Xmas and it sure seems to have nice bright and easy to read screen. I am building a GP Super Stearman ARF and it was sure nice to just tell the radio that I was going to have four ailerons and let it do the programming.

Howard
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Campgems

Howard, are you wearing Polaroid sun glasses?They tend to screw up screen visibility.I’ve worn them for over 30 years now and I have found that I usually lift them to see the gas pumps, ATM machines, you name it.Sometimes just cocking my head to one side clears up the blocked light.
Don
Old 03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you make a good point here about the polarized sunglasses.. depending on the angle of the sun to the screen, it will definitely block the screen making it very hard to read. I found with mine, it's sort of an experiment and try to obtain the best result. But beware, the more contrast and brightness you allow for the screen will also drain the battery at a faster rate. Best to have a backup battery charged and ready just in case you run low on juice!
BTW, I absolutely love my 14MZ- it is so easy to program!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, I have found the best way is to hold it up so the sun shines directly on the screen. Even with polarized glasses on I can read my screen fine doing that.