Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

No more glitches on 72MHz

Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Oldbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more glitches on 72MHz

No more glitches on 72 MHz.

Now that most of the guys at my flying field are using 2.4 GHz. My old 72 stuff is working better than ever. Is it my imagination or are others having the same experience?

How I ask myself Why switch?

Bob
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: No more glitches on 72MHz

I have used 72Mhz radios since 1978. I still am half and half as I have not converted all my Rx's to 2.4. I bought a Spektrum 2.4 module for my JR XP8103, XP9303, and my Futaba 9CAP, so I can switch between 2.4 and 72Mhz.

You can use 72Mhz and think you are safe, but as more and more pilots put their 72Mhz systems up for sale, cheap, people who may not respect the need for Frequency Control may buy them up and use them near where you fly. I cannot see how they can work any better because less people in your area are using them.

For years I have had to wait for the Frequency Pin at my local flying field or at the various model meets, even just to check my radio to see if everything is working OK. It has been a real pain. With 2.4 you never have to worry about when you turn on your Tx or who else has their radio on.

Dedicated RC Boat, Car, and Truck people will use the appropriate radio for Ground Vehicles, but I am sure there are many Newbies that will buy a cheap Air Radio and take their chances. The same is true for the Park Flyer electric newbies. They want to have a radio with more model memories and the ability to use a Buddy Box. They can fly in their back yard, school yard, or park.

Now that 2.4 radios are out, there is less problem with RF Noise so all the gadgets on your aircraft that used to cause RF Noise will not be a worry to the 2.4 radio owner, but can still affect the 72Mhz radio next to it.

With 72Mhz, you still risk the chance of getting shot down by anyone who turns on their 72Mhz radio, on your frequency, within half a mile or a mile from you, or even at your own flying field.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could not agree more with BuschBarber on this one. Move with technology or be left behind. Would you fly with an AM radio? Your sence of security might be short lived given BuschBarber's reasons, and a few more we can't think of right now.

Rafael
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
kristj179

well im fairly new to the sport. but it seems that the 72.mhz is slowly going away from us? and im not to sure how the 2.5 mgz system works. im afraid that the 72 mhz transmitters will disappear? and the parts will no longer be available. question is the 2.5 mgz easy to set up as far as servos and receivers can any one help with info
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except for the Bind Process, 2.4Ghz is no more difficult than 72Mhz. You must pay attention to how the Main Rx and Satellite Rx's (if any) are placed in the aircraft.

Advantages are No More Frequency Pin. Very little if any Interference, Short Antennas for Tx and Rx.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kristj179

well im fairly new to the sport. but it seems that the 72.mhz is slowly going away from us? ......
Well not that slowly. As of a year ago, If you happen to go to to the major events around the country, you will be required to fly 2.4 Out of 750+ pilots at IRCHA last year, there were just a handful of people in 72Mhz. I believe Joe Nall has gone to 2.4 exclusively as have many more events across the country. This might not affect you during your sunday flying, but if you intend to travel, compete or even attend a fun fly.....

If you follow the history of the hobby, you will find out that originally we could use channels on the 27mHz band and on the 49mHz band. That was before the AMA had the agreement with the FCC for the 72mHz band. The channels on the 27mHz band and the 49Mhz band are still available for RC use, but would you use them? Get an RC toy from radio shack or a department store and see which band they operate on.....

I imagine that the same will happen to the 72mHz band, IF the FCC does not take it back. I have seen RTF packages at department stores and hobby shops with a 72mHz radio already included in the box. We know that only a small percentage of those sold, actually make it to a proper flying field and observe frequency control.

Rafael
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
kristj179

thank you .. bushbarber,rafael23cc. i seem to get the picture now. thanks for the info