Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver / Servo help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Syns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver / Servo help

First I should point out that I am a real noobie in regards to RC and am reading up and asking enough questions at my local store to drive them nuts. They keep telling me I should just stick to cars and helis but I enjoy the difficulty. That being said I seem to have stumped them with what I am trying to do. What I am trying to build is a home made multi function robot.

In a nut shell I was wondering if it is possible to have a radio's control sticks control multiple functions?As in, using the model memory function on the newer Spektrum raidos can I have the sticks control movement then switch models and then the sticks control other parts?I am trying to only use one radio but my issue is I need it to perform many functions. An example would be that on one model memory I control movement then I switch models and I can control the arms while it no longer moves.

Also on a side note is it possible to control servos using a PC? There are other functions I was going to have run off preprogramed routines that I wanted to acces via my PC when I wanted.

I would greatly appreciate the feedback and any help on my confusion.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Receiver / Servo help

ORIGINAL: Syns First I should point out that I am a real noobie in regards to RC and am reading up and asking enough questions at my local store to drive them nuts. They keep telling me I should just stick to cars and helis but I enjoy the difficulty. That being said I seem to have stumped them with what I am trying to do. What I am trying to build is a home made multi function robot. In a nut shell I was wondering if it is possible to have a radio's control sticks control multiple functions?As in, using the model memory function on the newer Spektrum raidos can I have the sticks control movement then switch models and then the sticks control other parts?I am trying to only use one radio but my issue is I need it to perform many functions. An example would be that on one model memory I control movement then I switch models and I can control the arms while it no longer moves. Also on a side note is it possible to control servos using a PC? There are other functions I was going to have run off preprogramed routines that I wanted to acces via my PC when I wanted. I would greatly appreciate the feedback and any help on my confusion. Thanks
Questions will be best answeredat appropriate forums:
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots
Robonova
Robonova - Video.
Robot Body Shop - Forum

see also sub section "Robot, Mechatronic, Robotics & UAV"
at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

As in, using the model memory function on the newer Spektrum raidos can I have the sticks control movement then switch models and then the sticks control other parts?
True Spektrum radios have whats called Model Match. When you bind a reciever it memorizes not only the transmitter code but the model memory as well. If you switch models you have to rebind then it wont recognize the first model memory.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Joselo
My Feedback: (3)

Can anyone tell me if my transmitter is Excceed does the receiver have to be the same brand? im planning to buy a futaba transmitter and I don't know if its going to work. Thank you
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had multiple receivers in your robot, I don't see why you couldn't bind (for example) RX1 to model 1 in the TX, RX2 to model 2 in the TX, etc. - then when you switched models, only that particular RX would respond, the others would revert to their failsafe modes due to loss of signal. You'd have to be sure they were set up with the proper failsafe positions when you bound them.

You do have to shut off the TX, hold down a couple of buttons, turn it on to get to the model select feature. Depends on how safe your robot would be if NO receivers were getting a signal.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

2.4 needs the same manufacturer between transmitter and reciever, JR and Spektrum are considered the same manufacturer.

Futaba and the others all use their own protocols and are not cross brand compatable.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How many actual functions do you need? A 6 channel radio can do 6 things (4 proportional, 2 on/off) unless you need mixes. Some of the higher end ones can have several more on/off functions than that. So how many functions (proportional and on/off) do you actually need?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Syns

First off thank you all for the responses I greatly appreciate the feedback so far. The question really doesn't belong in the robot forum because it's more of a Transmitter / Receiver / Servo question. I only put down its a bot I'm building so no one was scratching their head trying to figure out why I wanted to crash a plane mid-flight to take control of a heli. lol

I was thinking about putting two or more recievers inside it and binding each to one transmitter. Using the BR6000 DSM DuaLink 6-Channel Bot Receiver from Spektrum to make them shut down when signal loss occured. I just didn't know if the model memory function was the solution to my problem.

I know they make 14 plus channel radios and the extra channels would definatly come in handy, but it's realy the subtle presicion of the control sticks that I need to duplicate. Now if they made a radio with multiple sticks it would make things so much easier.