Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Strange question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:01 PM
heilan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange question

Hi,

I am totally new to the RC field, but I have done some reading about receivers and transmitters and the way they work. From my understanding, the transmitter continuously transmits a train of pulses to the receiver. This "train" is then interpreted and decomposed into one pulse for each channel of the receiver by the receiving circuit. These pulses control the servos by their length, which varies between 1 ms and 2 ms. Am I correct until now?

What I am looking for is if there exists any kind of receiver that, instead of continuously transmitting pulses to all of its channels, can choose to transmit pulses to only one channel at a time, at my command. Or maybe something with more of a trigger-like behavior.
For example, something that could activate four consecutive nitro bursts in a car, through 4 different channels. I'm looking for receivers like that that I can buy, or maybe build, if it's not too complicated.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:50 PM
smokingcrater

Default Strange question

there are multiple plans out to build such a circuit, or you can just use a servo to rig up multiple contacts. RAM also has a couple devices that do this, not sure if they are mechanical or electronic though.

basically how the electronic ones work is that it divides your total pulse range into sections, and moving to each section represents an on/off action...
Old 07-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Lynx

Default Strange question

helian what you're talking about would be best done using an external mixer rather than multiple channels on a radio. You would have to custom build it but you can use a micro processor to structure any pulses to any number of servo's you'd like using only a single channel on the radio itself. Try www.parallax.com and read a bit and see if it's something you think you could handle building. It's fairly complex but there's enough support documentation on the site for the various components they sell that you should have a decent time of building something that works without too much effort. Though it is a bit pricey.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:52 PM
heilan

Default Strange question

Thank you both for your answers. I'll be looking into both options, and see which one I am most comfortable with If anyone else has more suggestions, please post them up too.