Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum dx7 engine kill switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum dx7 engine kill switch?

How do you kill your engine with this radio?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: spektrum dx7 engine kill switch?

You can turn on ATR in the system menu, (Automatic Throttle Recovery)

Set your linkage up so that when the trim is centered (viewed on the pipper on the display) you have a good idle, and when the trim is full down the throttle is closed and the engine cuts.

Then, when you want to kill the motor hold down trim till the motor shuts off. Push the trim up one beep, ATR will return it all the way to the previous idle position.

You can also use a mix tied to a switch.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use Programmable Mixer 5 or 6, you can set up a Throttle to Throttle mix and set the Offset parameter to -125. You assign this Mix to a Switch. It is much better than using the Throttle Trim. If you let go of the Throttle Trim, before you reach the bottom, it changes your Idle setting. Throttle Recover works, but you have to be careful or you are constantly resetting the Idle Trim. I like the Mix idea better.

I just read this on one of the RCU threads but i do not have the exact procedure at the moment
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the throttle trim is not fast enough and doesn't always go back exactly to the perfect throttle. Guess I'll have to try and program a switch. Why they didn't maintain the throttle cut button on the DX7 was an inconvenient decision and definitely something I'll be looking for as a feature of my next radio. Guess it's time to learn how to program the mix just to kill the engine.

Thanks for all the responses.
Shaggy
Old 04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By choice I use the MIX/ Rudder D/R switch to control my throttle kill switch. With the switch in position 0 - normal throttle operation. With the switch in position 1 - the throttle is reduced 30%. If the throttle stick is at idle then 30% reduction closes the carb's throttle completely. I test this on each plane to ensure that I'm not binding the throttle servo and linkage.

A note:IFyou are breaking in a new engine ANDyou increase the idle to keep things from dying THEN when you hit the kill switch and you back off the throttle by 30% the engine MAYNOT die. Be prepared to use the trim button to back the throttle down to kill the engine. Just did that yesterday - just sayin' ...

The pictures:
pic 1 - MIX0 - normal operation (for all of my planes)
pic 2 - the DX7's monitor screen showing the servo arm position at idle
pic 3 - MIX1 screen showing the THRO -> THROmixing specification with the switch OFF
pic 4 - MIX1 - throttle kill - throttle is reduced by 30% - only kills when stick is at idle
pic 5 - monitor screen showing the throttle cursor has moved to the left 30%
pic 6 - MIX1 screen with switch ON

Note - when setting this up you must flick the swith to ON(1 position)to be able to set the percentage.

HTH,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85309.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	1422164   Click image for larger version

Name:	id96325.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1422165   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx63062.jpg
Views:	105