Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4mhz for air and boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
N5RMQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4mhz for air and boat

I'm trying to move foreward in this world and keep up with tehnology but I often get stuck and need help. I want to know if I buya 2.4 mhz radio can I useit for my 3 sailboats and2 airplanes? Do I not completly understand this concept? Help please.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
onewasp

Default RE: 2.4mhz for air and boat

I believe you mean 2.4GHz SS not 2.4MHZ.

Start reading here: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

While most surface rx's won't work with the air systems, there is at least one marine type rx which will play with the air tx's and I don't remember which one it is???

Someone pointed it out over on another forum and it may have shown up here I just don't remember. You'll just have to do some more digging; have you tried searching the forums?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: N5RMQ

. I want to know if I buy a 2.4 mhz radio can I use it for my 3 sailboats and 2 airplanes?

Yes - In the United States 2.4 systems can be used in both surface vehicles/vessels or aircraft with no regulatory limitations such as the when using 75 mhz which is for surface only and 72mhz which is for aircraft only.

John
Old 05-02-2010, 01:51 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

While most surface rx's won't work with the air systems, there is at least one marine type rx which will play with the air tx's and I don't remember which one it is???

Someone pointed it out over on another forum and it may have shown up here I just don't remember. You'll just have to do some more digging; have you tried searching the forums?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMR3000
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: onewasp

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMR3000
That's it!

For JohnBuckner;

In this case, it has nothing to do with regulatory requirements since as you noted the 2.4 systems can be used for surface or air. BUT there is a difference in the protocols of the two systems from Spektrum/JR so the marine rx onewasp linked to is the only surface rx which will work with a Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz air system.

Can't say about the other manufacturers. I should have mentioned that I was thinking about the Horizon stuff since the OP didn't mention a brand....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From the original OP's confusion I beleve his question directly related to the regulatory status of being able to use 2.4 systems on the surface and in the air and no I was not speaking to any Jr/spectrum specific.

John
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: N5RMQ I'm trying to move foreward in this world and keep up with tehnology but I often get stuck and need help. I want to know if I buya 2.4 mhz radio can I useit for my 3 sailboats and2 airplanes? Do I not completly understand this concept? Help please.
At present most manufacturers use different systems for Air and Marine use because water absorbs a lot of the signal. If wishing to use same TX for both Air and Yachts, then buy a modular system so that you can change between say AFHSS and DSSS
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima RX Review of AFHSS in operation -Video

Spectra 2.4/Optima 7 Combo
Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module #28724 - not for use with Optima RX / aircraft
Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module and Atom 3 RX Manual - for Surface use only.
Note: The Spektrum 2.4Ghz system isOKwith few gas boats running butunreliable onlocal yacht ponds when several yachts racing in close proximity as signal/antenna areshielded and control often lost as yachts pass and block each other, especially with CF models.. Also Spektrum TXoutput as used in USA, to achieve reasonable range for marine models,exceeds that permitted in this and most other countries.

Spectra Pro 2.4Ghz &Spectra 2.4Ghz DSSS are also compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module shape/size/pin slots. e.g.:
5UAF, 5UAP,- 7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS
(8FGA, 8FGH as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
10CH, 10CA
(10CAG or 10CHG as non-module radios can not be accomodated).

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 AM
4*60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please ignore.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
BudE.

I also have question along this line: can I use the rx and tx from an Esky heli in a sailboat. If so, how are the connections made if the differ from the heli set up?