Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

I am toying with the idea of converting my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF system to 2.4 GHz using a suitable replacement Tx module but am not sure which is the best way to accomplish this, and so your opinions and suggestions are being requested.

Karol
Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

ORIGINAL: karolh

I am toying with the idea of converting my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF system to 2.4 GHz using a suitable replacement Tx module but am not sure which is the best way to accomplish this, and so your opinions and suggestions are being requested.

Karol
Karol,

I have http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRTT6&P=ML and have no issues on my Futaba Super 7 and 9CAPS. It's a bit pricy, but then again you have a really nice radio as well.

FYI - and not to start a flame war - but I also got a Spektrum module (they make one for Futaba systems) for Bind 'n Fly planes. Nothing but trouble. Unbinding, "weird glitches" in flight, throttle servo gets reversed when you accidently turn off the radio while the plane is still on. I ripped the Spektrum RX (AR500?) out of the Bind 'n Fly and put in a Futaba RX. Plus the Spektrum module has a coax connector on the back that prevents you from being able to lay the TX down without modifying the hardware, and you have to remove the 72Mhz as well and replace it with a dummy stick so the 2.4Ghz stub has something to mount to. Sort of a hack. Worth it for a cheap TX, but not a classic like the 8U system.

Hope this helps.

r/s... Roger
Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You sure got that right about the 8UAF being a good radio, as mine has been excellent and trouble free other than getting the module pins in the Tx resoldered under warranty just to be on the safe side even though mine never had a problem.

The Futaba module looks like the way to go as it's sometimes best to stay within brands, and though as you said it's a bit pricy it should be a one time purchase. One thing I like about the Futaba system is the use of a single Rx rather than having two. Thanks for your response.

Karol
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

The Futaba 2.4 module works great - I got mine soon after they were available ( purchased the module and receiver combo). I've never had any issues I've been able to detect. One thing to note - I believe failsafe is only performed on the throttle channel. Linking or binding to the model is incredibly easy, and I've never had the rx "lose" its bind.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
rudder turns

I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
bobferguson

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.
Do you have to remove the antenna on a Futaba 9c radio when installing the Hitec module? Is there a little cable linked to the 2.4 antenna?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bobferguson
ORIGINAL: rudder turns I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.
Do you have to remove the antenna on a Futaba 9c radio when installing the Hitec module? Is there a little cable linked to the 2.4 antenna?
User has the option of either removing the 8U antenna or, if frequently swapping between the 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz modules,using a remote mount as detailed with pictures at:
Hitec & Futaba - DIY Remote TX Mounting for 2.4GHz Antenna (Dual Std & 2.4)
Standard fitting:
Spectra Pro Antenna Mast Fitting to other than Aurora TX.

The other advantages of the Hitec AFHSS system are highlighted:
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation -Video #3
AFHSS - Normal & Scan Modes Explained includes Redundant (Dual) Receivers.
not to mention the telemetry functions and greater range

Much more information on the Spectra Pro Module and Optima Transceivers at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {individual link information often updated}

Spectra 2.4G is also compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module form factor such as:
5UAF, 5UAP, 7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS (8FGA, 8FGH are not supported because they are non-module radios)
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
10CH, 10CA (10CAG or 10CHG are not supported because they are non module radios).

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links