Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Percentage of Mode 1 flyers in YOUR country?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 PM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Percentage of Mode 1 flyers in YOUR country?

I have been a Mode 1 (that is throttle on the right, elevator on the left to the uniniated) flyer for 35 years. It is definitely not too popular these days in the USA, but I hear it is dominant in Japan and perhaps Australia (?) I think is was at least fairly popular in Europe a few years ago. I was in a hobby shop in Vienna in the early 1980's and was told that they all used Mode 1. I was at a field in England last year, and EVERYONE there was on Mode 2.

So, I would like to conduct an informal poll - there are a lot of RCU members from all over the globe. Please post your country, and what percentage of flyers you believe fly Mode 1 in your country. Should be interesting!!

I will start:

USA: < 1%

Look forward to your posts worldwide!!

Regards and happy flying,

Randy L.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Percentage of Mode 1 flyers in YOUR country?

Here in Germany, I would estimate - 98% use Mode 1. At our club of 120+ members, I am the only one in the club using Mode 2. So you can't just say-'here take it!'
Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 AM
olivier

Hi,

I am a member in 3 different clubs in BELGIUM (somewhere in Europe...). For our (nearly) divided country, I can precise the location of the clubs : one club in the Flanders, 2 in Wallonia.

When I (re)started with RC 13 years ago, about 80% of the members were flying mode 1, just like I do.
Now I dare to say that nearly all newcomers want to use mode 2.
The known result in 2 of the 3 clubs is that now nearly 50% of the members fly in mode 1, 49% fly in mode 2 and 1% flying mode 3 or 4.

Why this evolution? Perhaps here some parts of the answer :
- the world globalisation : in other countries (read far-east) you can mosty buy TX's in mode 2
- the popularity of cheap electro-bi-rotor helicopters or airplanes, provided ready to fly WITH a TX in mode 2, ready to be used indoor or outdoor, without any help from other people in the hobby
- the fact that a lot of newcomers first buy a TX and learn on their own on a simulator, before joining a club. They think there's only one stick-mode to fly with.

Olivier
my movies : http://nl.youtube.com/results?search...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 AM
littlera

Good insight Olivier. I had never considered the impact of the small helicopters or the use of simulators. The shift in Belgium is very interesting.

Regards,

Randy L.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 AM
CustomPC

Here in Australia, we are historically Mode1. Years ago you could not buy a Mode2 radio in the stores.

These days, it depends on the cross sample of pilots you ask.

Amongst the fixed wing pilots, mode1 is still by far and away the most common. I would guess 80% of pilots who only fly fixed wing models are mode1.

Amongst heli pilots, Mode2 is becoming increasingly more popular and has probably overtaken Mode1.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: littlera
I will start:
USA: < 1%
Nationwide, the US percentage may be less than one percent. I have no way to know.
Our club has a much different breakdown
Mode 1 ~8%
Mode 2 ~88%
Mode 3 ~4%